2018 6th round pick is Christian Campbell CB

Wellthatsjustfine

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Peters, Nkemdiche, Pierre, Gunter. Couple other guys on the roster too. I’m not too concerned with defensive tackle
I have looked. Now let me know how many of them equate to the DT’s Wilks employed in Carolina. Right now, we are smaller at every position in the front 7 and especially at DT where we needed to be at least equal to compensate for the other guys. Wilks said he wants to win games in the trenches. Right now that is impossible.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If you like a slow (4.55), thin-framed CB who doesn’t like to support against the run; he’s your man. I give up. GMabel is right. Hill would seem to be a better option. I no longer have any idea what they are doing. He’s a 7th rounder at best!
There might be some reasons why everyone has been passing on Hill. We don't know whats in the backrounds.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I have looked. Now let me know how many of them equate to the DT’s Wilks employed in Carolina. Right now, we are smaller at every position in the front 7 and especially at DT where we needed to be at least equal to compensate for the other guys. Wilks said he wants to win games in the trenches. Right now that is impossible.
Peters and Pierre are legit starters, with Nkemdiche battling for starters minutes. Not the highest priority by far.

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score

All 4 of those guys are pretty good size so not sure what you’re getting at. All of them have the frames to add weight if needed.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
we needed a corner and we picked one. dont see why anyone would complain.... this time in the draft is all about picking developmental guys. we were not gonna get a starter in the sixth right?? I mean, at least not a guy who would start this year. unless we picked Kevin Toliver from LSU,... but he has a serious attitude problem and may not even make a team.

we got a guy, lets see what we can do with him.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
Campbell has shown solid improvement every year. His senior year, he held opposing QB's to the fourth lowest QBR. He has almost freakishly long arms and registered 25 passes defended in '17. He is better when keeping the receivers in front of him, in zone coverage. SW is notorious for running zone. Campbell is best at playing off-man as he lacks the transition speed to keep up with faster receivers. His make-up speed needs to improve. He tends to get a little grabby and can improve his over the shoulder awareness if playing man. Despite what Harry says, Campbell is very physical and willing in run support and is excellent in blowing up screens. He is also a good blitzer.

There is a ton of upside to this guy. Another high character and very coachable selection. Will take him a year or 2 to contribute on defense but should be a good special teamer.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Peters and Pierre are legit starters, with Nkemdiche battling for starters minutes. Not the highest priority by far.

Yes they are. Pierre was quite good and should improve. Peters is a solid run stuffer.

We have a lot bigger needs than dt.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
The later rounds are for finding guys to develop and contribute on Special teams and sub packages.So SK gets a guy to have Wilks coach up.Easier to understand looking at it that way.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

???

Impossible?

That group (and it's not complete) did a good job in the trenches last season. Check our numbers against the run.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
Better at exercising than playing football. At least there’s potential I guess. I’m still curious as to who is going to play DT.

5th in total yards against the rush and 3rd in per yard average against the rush in 2017. Same cast of characters. I don't see the issue.

Wellthatsjustfine

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
???

Impossible?

That group (and it's not complete) did a good job in the trenches last season. Check our numbers against the run.
Different defense though. I’m just going off the tackle sizes from Wilks’ pat defenses. We played three of the guys you’re listing at a time last year with 2 ends.

Wellthatsjustfine

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Different defense though. I’m just going off the tackle sizes from Wilks’ pat defenses. We played three of the guys you’re listing at a time last year with 2 ends.
Oops responded to the wrong post. I hope you guys are right though. I’ve really been looking forward to the thought of a Carolina-style D.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If you like a slow (4.55), thin-framed CB who doesn’t like to support against the run; he’s your man. I give up. GMabel is right. Hill would seem to be a better option. I no longer have any idea what they are doing. He’s a 7th rounder at best!

I disagree with you Harry. He's a pretty solid tackler and does run support. Not sure where you got your info from but he was a solid player at PSU in the secondary.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree with you Harry. He's a pretty solid tackler and does run support. Not sure where you got your info from but he was a solid player at PSU in the secondary.
yes, I add
4.55 is not a bad for a 200lb corner
I think is a wilks selection and Im sure he can evaluate talent regarding cb+s