2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. The only thing is Papagiannis was widely considered a very big reach at the time, and a reach from an organization that has been consistently inept. I was happy with the Chriss trade at the time; my only real point there was to say that losing a trade to the Kings is particularly hurtful because the Kings seem to mess up everything they touch (as evidenced by the Cavs trade article where everyone got mad at the kings for trying to retroactively dump PapaG in the Hood-Crowder deal).

And still with perceived ineptitude the Kings end up with Fox, Bogdan and a top five pick. :bang:

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He wanted to win every cup in Europe.As soon as he did he left europe.I dont know the money story.
Doncic is better prospect than Bogdan was.But i dont think doncic will be better than Bogdan.

What makes you say that? Doncic is bigger, throws more assists, is a better prospect and has better stats than bogdanovic did at a younger age..Am I’m missing something?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/bogdan-bogdanovic-1.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/luka-doncic-1.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The scouting report of nbadraft.net is 2 years old.

Thestepiens' saying about his release being slow and low is simply wrong, IMO. He has a textbook jumper and a quick trigger. He takes 6 3P-shots per game while defenses focus primarily on him and hitting 34% of them.

I miss Draft Express (when it was free) so this is why I used parts of nbadraft.net and The Stepien in my post.

Perhaps part of the Booker experiment at PG is to see if Booker and Doncic would compliment each other in the backcourt.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Givony and Schmitz still think that Doncic is the 1/1 although it will be a tough battle with Ayton.

Good to know. I respect DraftExpress with their player evaluations.

Mert

Reaction score
What makes you say that? Doncic is bigger, throws more assists, is a better prospect and has better stats than bogdanovic did at a younger age..Am I’m missing something?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/bogdan-bogdanovic-1.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/luka-doncic-1.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am worried about Doncic's defense.He is slow to guard pg and sg.He is not athletic or strong enough to guard sf.On offense he will be elite.I am not saying Doncic is bad.What i am trying to say is he is not #1 pick for suns.We already have jackson and warren.Doncic can not play pg next to booker.
Bogdanovic was mostly guarding the best player on the court.(He shutdown Spanoulis in final).He could play with Booker and could become 6th man.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@cheesebeef and I were discussing the Chris Mullin comparison with Doncic.

If Doncic is as good as many think, I don't think the comparison with the 6' 7" NBA 5 x All-Star is not far off.

Mullin did not have good lateral quickness as well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He wanted to win every cup in Europe.As soon as he did he left europe.I dont know the money story.
Doncic is better prospect than Bogdan was.But i dont think doncic will be better than Bogdan.
Luka may already be better than Bogdan and he is 7 years younger. As far as I’m concerned it is asinine to suggest that he won’t be better when he is already arguable better and is only 18 years old.

Mert

Reaction score
Luka may already be better than Bogdan and he is 7 years younger. As far as I’m concerned it is asinine to suggest that he won’t be better when he is already arguable better and is only 18 years old.

Ask anyone who watches Euroleague ,they will say Bogdanovic is better player.
I know one game doesnt mean much but they both play in this Semifinal game:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Ask anyone who watches Euroleague ,they will say Bogdanovic is better player.
I know one game doesnt mean much but they both play in this Semifinal game:
Doncic has been a much better player this season than last season. That game was played last season when Doncic was only 17 and wasn't playing at the level he is currently playing. He is currently averaging 18 PPG and was only scoring about 8 PPG last year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact that a player is younger matters more when the player has athletic ability but undeveloped skills. Doncic lacks the ability and already has highly developed skills. I think that might indicate his peak will be earlier. That is what concerns me about him. All these players were very good as youngsters, but most hit a wall in their development. The best continue on and one.

Now, the one area that Doncic could continue to develop is his shooting efficiency. He has the shot, he has the range, but his percentages are not stellar. I am really not trying to bag on Doncic. He is just the one of the top 7 that worries me most. And yes, I have taken into account the jillion times repeated "he plays among men in the second best league in the world" factor.

Here is the deal. If the Suns end up with a top three pick, they have to hit on it. They cannot get cute. They have to take the best player they can. Ayton is a beast. It is clear. Sometimes he actually looks bored with college ball. If you DONT take him if available and he turns out, yikes. Trae is coming back down to earth, but he has done something in college ball that has never been done before--leading the nation in points and assists. What he does, does translate to the NBA.

Just my thoughts on the draft. They are subject to change at my own whim and without any apology, its a process of evaluation, not a guarantee.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The fact that a player is younger matters more when the player has athletic ability but undeveloped skills. Doncic lacks the ability and already has highly developed skills. I think that might indicate his peak will be earlier. That is what concerns me about him. All these players were very good as youngsters, but most hit a wall in their development. The best continue on and one.

Now, the one area that Doncic could continue to develop is his shooting efficiency. He has the shot, he has the range, but his percentages are not stellar. I am really not trying to bag on Doncic. He is just the one of the top 7 that worries me most. And yes, I have taken into account the jillion times repeated "he plays among men in the second best league in the world" factor.

Here is the deal. If the Suns end up with a top three pick, they have to hit on it. They cannot get cute. They have to take the best player they can. Ayton is a beast. It is clear. Sometimes he actually looks bored with college ball. If you DONT take him if available and he turns out, yikes. Trae is coming back down to earth, but he has done something in college ball that has never been done before--leading the nation in points and assists. What he does, does translate to the NBA.

Just my thoughts on the draft. They are subject to change at my own whim and without any apology, its a process of evaluation, not a guarantee.
Again this suggests that there is a cap on how skilled someone can get. Doncic can still get much better as a shooter and as a ball handler. He will also get far better finishing through contact as he gets stronger. I think this is something that gets overlooked sometimes, but strength does a lot for your game at the pro level.

Also players hit their athletic prime somewhere between 23-25 and thus Luka will almost certainly gain some athleticism over the next few years. Especially with an NBA training regiment that will focus on getting him to peak physical performance. Now I'm not saying that he will become LeBron someday or anything like that, but there will be some improvement in athleticism.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Skin color has nothing to do with it. If Doncic had Dragic's footspeed he'd be comparable to Harden. Right now he's closer to a Hayward with playmaking ability IMO.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Skin color has nothing to do with it. If Doncic had Dragic's footspeed he'd be comparable to Harden. Right now he's closer to a Hayward with playmaking ability IMO.
Hayward with legitimate playmaking ability is a great player though. Hell he is a very good player as is and would quite possibly be a superstar if he were throwing up 8+ assists per game as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again this suggests that there is a cap on how skilled someone can get. Doncic can still get much better as a shooter and as a ball handler. He will also get far better finishing through contact as he gets stronger. I think this is something that gets overlooked sometimes, but strength does a lot for your game at the pro level.

Also players hit their athletic prime somewhere between 23-25 and thus Luka will almost certainly gain some athleticism over the next few years. Especially with an NBA training regiment that will focus on getting him to peak physical performance. Now I'm not saying that he will become LeBron someday or anything like that, but there will be some improvement in athleticism.

What? No on “gaining some” athleticism thing. That’s just going overboard to make your argument better.

1) There’s been plenty of guys knocked for average athleticism. And they stay that way. I’d love to see examples of guys who made any kind of noticeable change in their athleticism

2) Even if that theory DID have weight, wouldn’t it go for EVERYONE his age, being able to gain athleticism. And if that’s the same for everyone, everyone gets more athletic and so he’s still stuck at a disadvantage.

But seriously... there’s NEVER been on media person that I’ve ever heard say.. “he’s average athletically but by the time he’s 25, that could much different.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
What? No on “gaining some” athleticism thing. That’s just going overboard to make your argument better.

1) There’s been plenty of guys knocked for average athleticism. And they stay that way. I’d love to see examples of guys who made any kind of noticeable change in their athleticism

2) Even if that theory DID have weight, wouldn’t it go for EVERYONE his age, being able to gain athleticism. And if that’s the same for everyone, everyone gets more athletic and so he’s still stuck at a disadvantage.

But seriously... there’s NEVER been on media person that I’ve ever heard say.. “he’s average athletically but by the time he’s 25, that could much different.
Again I'm not suggesting that he will make an athletic transformation or anything. I just think he will almost certainly become slightly more athletic. Though I am on record as saying that I think his athleticism is already underrated by some of you guys and I think he will be a great player at his current level of athleticism.

Let me ask you this. Using a percentage number how much more athletic would he have to be for you to consider him a top prospect? Would you be happy if he was 10%, 15%, 20% more athletic? I just think it is an arbitrary reason to pass on someone with Doncic's skill set simply because you think he just isn't quite athletic enough.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hayward with legitimate playmaking ability is a great player though. Hell he is a very good player as is and would quite possibly be a superstar if he were throwing up 8+ assists per game as well.

Hayward has legit playmaking ability.

And again, if there’s a choice between taking the next Hayward and the next Robinson ... or even Bamba’d next Mutombo... Hayward comes in easy third.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Starting to wonder if it's just a "top six" draft...or maybe a top eight draft. Wendell Carter is up to six and Bamba slipped to eight. Carter is a pf so maybe its a top eight draft?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

And again, if there’s a choice between taking the next Hayward and the next Robinson ... or even Bamba’d next Mutombo... Hayward comes in easy third.

But there is no guarantee that any of the bigs will be the next David Robinson. David Robinson is literally THE best-case scenario for Ayton (or any of the other bigs in this draft.) That's no different than saying that Doncic is the next Magic Johnson.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Doncic is a far better facilitator than Hayward and has a better handle too. Other than those 2 things I do believe they have a lot of similarities though.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Starting to wonder if it's just a "top six" draft...or maybe a top eight draft. Wendell Carter is up to six and Bamba slipped to eight. Carter is a pf so maybe its a top eight draft?

That's just because nbadraft.net likes to switch things up (with seemingly no rhyme nor reason). I would be SHOCKED if Carter goes ahead of Bamba.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Carter is a nice talent, but I don’t think he compares to other guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard