2015 2nd round pick is Markus Golden DE

NEcardsfan01

Reaction score
I do believe this is my first post but being a Missouri fan I got to watch both Markus and Ray play last year. From the games I watched I always thought Markus had more of a knack for big plays than Ray. It seemed like Markus forced a fumble or recovered a fumble about every game. I believe he returned two for touchdowns if I'm not mistaken. Ray might of had more sacks but Golden in my opinion made the bigger plays.

Obviously I would have rather had Ray as I think he has a higher ceiling and obviously adds needed speed. However, everyone knows you can't teach a player how to have a nose for the ball and Markus definitely has one. So I don't mind this pick.

Now we just wait and see how it pans out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Arians says he reminds him of James Harrison...meh.

They obviously draft a mold on the edge where I guess I would prefer some versatility. The ability to set the edge at OLB in base and then drop down to DE in sub is more valuable to this team than quickness off the edge. We will see.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the board NEcardsfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do believe this is my first post but being a Missouri fan I got to watch both Markus and Ray play last year. From the games I watched I always thought Markus had more of a knack for big plays than Ray. It seemed like Markus forced a fumble or recovered a fumble about every game. I believe he returned two for touchdowns if I'm not mistaken. Ray might of had more sacks but Golden in my opinion made the bigger plays.

Obviously I would have rather had Ray as I think he has a higher ceiling and obviously adds needed speed. However, everyone knows you can't teach a player how to have a nose for the ball and Markus definitely has one. So I don't mind this pick.

Now we just wait and see how it pans out.

I remember falling in man love with a UCLA DE many years ago named Dave Ball. Terrific intensity and motor, made a lot of big plays in college. His knocks were very similar to Golden. Wanted us to draft him big time. Ball played several years in the NFL, but he never was a starter. That's who I thought of when we got Golden. It's harder to whip NFL linemen with mostly heart and desire.

In fact, Ball had a much more glamorous college career and it didn't help....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Ball_(defensive_end)

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Most 3-4 teams run 4-2-5 a higher percentage of the time now due to passing rule changes. We're not switching to a 4-3. By changes they are talking about wanting edge rushers as opposed to having to A-gap/B-gap blitz. They are looking for personnel that can be 3 down players. With Peters and Redding they have 2 players that can play all three downs. And Peters isn't 290...he's more in the 305-310 range and has been productive on the nose and on end.

And they replaced Acho with Woodley. BA is very high on Woodley.

Campbell plays at 305, and he's not a nose. What 3-4 defenses has Peters played on? Altlanta has always been a...

...wait for it...

4-3 defense.

Woodley hasn't been good in 2-plus years.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
Campbell plays at 305, and he's not a nose. What 3-4 defenses has Peters played on? Altlanta has always been a...

...wait for it...

4-3 defense.

Woodley hasn't been good in 2-plus years.

He has a much different body type than Campbell.

Atlanta has run multiple fronts the past 2 years. While they have primarily been a 4-3, they have run some 3-4 packages, 5-2 packages, 2-5 packages. And yes, Peters has played...

...wait for it...

0 technique.

He has played all across the D line and he has been effective. Now granted, Peters main role has been the 1 technique so he could penetrate, but he held his own over center. Keep in mind also, we don't run the traditional 2 gap system. Our 1 gap system requires our DL to penetrate. So grabbing a NT that is athletic enough to penetrate and versatile enough to play more than 30% of the snaps is a plus.

Lamarr Woodley struggled with injuries and a declining Pittsburgh defense in 2013. In 2014, Woodley played his first professional snap in a system other than a 3-4 fire zone blitz scheme. He spent his entire career playing OLB and struggled mightily playing 4-3 end. He's always been known to struggle with conditioning and motivation during the offseason which is definitely a concern. As is his injuries. But BA still remains high on him and said he can be a 3 down linebacker. How he pans out remains to be seen.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changing the defense? You don't think the loss of his speed would get them to rethink how that defense is going to work?

No, I don't. Especially since they are wildly different in position and skills. Changing an entire defensive scheme for a partial season suspension doesn't seem real bright and I think SKuBA are smarter than that.

But, neither you or I are mind readers, so there is no point in arguing about it.

Codeofhammurabi

Cards Fan Since 1971
Reaction score
As a Missouri fan, and a Cardinals fan, I have watched Golden play very well over the past two years. I don't know where those calling him slow on the field are getting that thought from. I have watched him make tackles sideline to sideline and run down skill position players across the field many times. He has a great nose for the football. I don't know about measurables such as short arms and his 40 times, but he has been one of the best players to ever come through our program at Missouri. He is also a great team guy, and I think the fans will love him. I am not a draft expert, but I wouldn't be shocked if he is very successful for you.

Good luck.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In time this pick will be measured/evaluated on how well Randy Gregory does, as could have been the pick. And IF we had selected Gregory, this board would have called the pick one of the best in Arizona's history. And maybe they would be correct. Or maybe not.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the guy's motor and tenacity . HATE where we took him. Could have traded back again.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Cardinals must have found something they didn't like about Eli Harold.

NEcardsfan01

Reaction score
Also for those that wanted gregory I go to UNL and happen to be friends with several athletes. They all say the same story about him. He would completely blow off the coaches and all he cared about was his next blunt. Alot of my friends are are huge husker fans and most still said they wouldn't have taken him at all in the first two days.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This pick feels like the Cards reached for a need. Sounds like a good kid with a great motor. Yet I question whether this kid will translate well to the NFL.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
49ers took Harold @79. Prisco gave it a D. For comparison he gave us a B for Golden @58. If it means anything....
Nice to hear

Along with the input from the new posters who have seen him play I feel better about this pick. Not totally sold, just better

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
The next Kevin Minter IMO. Too slow to be productive in the NFL,

He sure looks pretty quick (not fast) on tape. I watched some tape today and he looks fast enough. All the scouting reports said they went to watch Shane Ray but this kid caught their eye. Also it has been said that he was the unquestioned leader of the team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He has a much different body type than Campbell.

Atlanta has run multiple fronts the past 2 years. While they have primarily been a 4-3, they have run some 3-4 packages, 5-2 packages, 2-5 packages. And yes, Peters has played...

...wait for it...

0 technique.

He has played all across the D line and he has been effective. Now granted, Peters main role has been the 1 technique so he could penetrate, but he held his own over center. Keep in mind also, we don't run the traditional 2 gap system. Our 1 gap system requires our DL to penetrate. So grabbing a NT that is athletic enough to penetrate and versatile enough to play more than 30% of the snaps is a plus.

Lamarr Woodley struggled with injuries and a declining Pittsburgh defense in 2013. In 2014, Woodley played his first professional snap in a system other than a 3-4 fire zone blitz scheme. He spent his entire career playing OLB and struggled mightily playing 4-3 end. He's always been known to struggle with conditioning and motivation during the offseason which is definitely a concern. As is his injuries. But BA still remains high on him and said he can be a 3 down linebacker. How he pans out remains to be seen.

Atlanta's D played 3-4-4 alignment 3% of the time in 2013 when Peters had some value. Tell me another story, but please back it up with some facts.

NTs in even a pressure 3-4 have to play two-gap BECAUSE everyone else around them is playing one-gap. It's the only way you have coverage.

As for Woodley, he's not playing in a fire zone blitz scheme here, either.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz