2011 NBA FINALS: Dallas Mavericks Vs Miami Heat

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Remember. Titles are a "team" accomplishment. Not a "player" accomplishment. Oscar Robertson, one of the greatest players of all time (some put him in the Jordan category), won only one title. He should be in your pantheon. Not sure how he was excluded.
The Big "O" joined Kareem (Lou Alcindor) in his 11th season and, with a good supporting cast, they won a Championship.

Oscar was the only player to average a Triple Double for an NBA season one year but, prior to Kareem, he couldn't do it alone. Imagine averaging a triple-double.

What a player Oscar Robertson was.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Big "O" joined Kareem (Lou Alcindor) in his 11th season and, with a good supporting cast, they won a Championship.

Oscar was the only player to average a Triple Double for an NBA season one year but, prior to Kareem, he couldn't do it alone. Imagine averaging a triple-double.

What a player Oscar Robertson was.

What a player Kareem was.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
we will see with lebron. if his career ended today he would be one of the most overhyped players in the history of sports...period. when the two best players in the game(or best combo) get outscored by one guy in the 4th quarter over the course of a series....something is wrong. that can't happen again.

dirk may never be confirmed as a top tier guy(top 10 whatever). but what he did in this playoffs, without another all star on his roster, is something we haven't seen since hakeem. his 4th quarter performances were amazing and it is great to see a guy who put in years of work finally get some respect. he played like that for the last 3 years... on a nightly basis. even in games that they lost in the playoffs he was a big scorer in the 4th. but no one talked about it.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
we will see with lebron. if his career ended today he would be one of the most overhyped players in the history of sports...period. when the two best players in the game(or best combo) get outscored by one guy in the 4th quarter over the course of a series....something is wrong. that can't happen again.

dirk may never be confirmed as a top tier guy(top 10 whatever). but what he did in this playoffs, without another all star on his roster, is something we haven't seen since hakeem. his 4th quarter performances were amazing and it is great to see a guy who put in years of work finally get some respect. he played like that for the last 3 years... on a nightly basis. even in games that they lost in the playoffs he was a big scorer in the 4th. but no one talked about it.
strange bump

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
It wasn't really a bump. He just finally sobered up from his post-championship celebration.
It's all he has to hang on to. He can't relish the enthusiasm the rest of us have for football, because he is a Cowboys fan, and well......they suck.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all he has to hang on to. He can't relish the enthusiasm the rest of us have for football, because he is a Cowboys fan, and well......they suck.

And even if they didn't suck, they'd still be the Cowboys.:)

Steve

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I've witnessed enough cowboys winning to hang on too. you guys are right with the cowboys. they suck even win they win.
Now that the mavs had one I can be happy. it doesn't look like they will win another one with a lockout looming.

as far as the cowboys they were a major disappointment last year. not much has changed with their defense, which was their major problem last season. so I'm not too optimistic.

all I can hold on to is that the last few years the team that has been hyped to win the NFC east has faltered, the other two teams have overproduced. and the redskins are themselves. that and hopefully rob ryan runs the defense better than wade phillips did.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've witnessed enough cowboys winning to hang on too. you guys are right with the cowboys. they suck even win they win.
Now that the mavs had one I can be happy. it doesn't look like they will win another one with a lockout looming.

as far as the cowboys they were a major disappointment last year. not much has changed with their defense, which was their major problem last season. so I'm not too optimistic.

all I can hold on to is that the last few years the team that has been hyped to win the NFC east has faltered, the other two teams have overproduced. and the redskins are themselves. that and hopefully rob ryan runs the defense better than wade phillips did.

I hate Dallas and I'm not too optimistic either. Unfortunately, that means I think they'll actually be quite a bit improved. That team never really bought into their head coach and I suspect that change alone will work wonders for them. They may not win their division, especially with the free spending of the Eagles, but they should be much more competitive. I'm glad the Mavs won their first championship but if it were up to me, the Cowboys would never win another.

Steve

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I hate Dallas and I'm not too optimistic either. Unfortunately, that means I think they'll actually be quite a bit improved. That team never really bought into their head coach and I suspect that change alone will work wonders for them. They may not win their division, especially with the free spending of the Eagles, but they should be much more competitive. I'm glad the Mavs won their first championship but if it were up to me, the Cowboys would never win another.

Steve
steve, good post!

honestly I don't fear the eagles and am happy they went all out in free agency. for me they are not going to win a championship and if they fail, they are going to pay for overspending(this is the cycle in the NFC east every team takes its turn spending big then paying for it later). the cowboys offense is as good as there's, if not better. i don't fear vick the qb. he has always been overhyped in my book. I feel this year he will not live up to expectations as usual(then what vince young)? for me the cowboys defense is going to be where the rubber hits the road. if they are average, the cowboys will be average. if they are good, the cowboys will be good. i like the attitude rob ryan is bringing in. finally a confident leader that isn't afraid to speak his mind. complete polar opposite of what wade phillips did for that defense. my concern is that both of our starting corners need to be placed in a nursing home(not strong enough to play on the field). that is a major hole on our team. and while the eagles aren't my biggest fear, it is a team like the packers that scares me. they have a great qb that can spread you out with 5 WR's. and there is nothing the cowboys secondary can do to stop that. I expect the cowboys to be a wild card team at best. their only chance is to hide their corners somehow.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I'm actually really looking forward to football. always do with the cowboys no matter what their team looks like.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually really looking forward to football. always do with the cowboys no matter what their team looks like.

You ought to start a Dallas Cowboys thread in the Smack Shack. The 2011 Rams and 9ers have their own thread so there's no reason for the 3rd team in the Unholy Trinity to go unrepresented.:)

Steve

Lorenzo

Reaction score
You ought to start a Dallas Cowboys thread in the Smack Shack. The 2011 Rams and 9ers have their own thread so there's no reason for the 3rd team in the Unholy Trinity to go unrepresented.:)

Steve
lol, i guess i will keep that in mind. and I really hope the game vs. AZ is a much more quality one this year compared to last. it would be nice if both teams are playoff bound.