2011 Draft Thread

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Trying to go get back on topic...

What do you guys think of Darius Morris? He's the only true PG in the draft this year (with exception of Irving of course)

We could maybe finally have a pass first unselfish PG as backup to Nash instead of the shoot first Dragic/Brooks.

Plus he's 6'5, 190. Some compare him to Kidd.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Darius Morris' comparison is more comparable to Andre Miller. Not even close to the athlete Jason Kidd was but solid passer with size. Not sure at 6'5 if he can guard SG's the way Jason Kidd did/does either but I've seen one game so i don't have a lot to go on... I have him anywhere in the 24-30 range on my Draftboard.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Right now I feel the safest pick for ARZ is a big man, namely Markieff Morris. He is probably the best defensive PF that will be available when we pick, is a legit 6'10 in shoes and isn't completely incompetent on offense. How will he do without his brother remains to be seen but he is probably the most complete big man in the draft in terms of offense and defense. He probably will be the pick unless, a PG or Boyimbo slides or PHX falls in love with a foreign player.

OT: Has anyone seen the trade rumor between CLE, DET & MIN? Supposedly the deal is CLE takes Hamilton off of DET's hands and get the #8 pick as well and then flip #4 & #8 for #2. CLE is trying to get the #2 pick in order to take DWill and keep the #1 to take Irving. Would be a great move but DET wants players back in addition to unloading Hamilton's contract thus they are holding up the deal but they get jobbed with this trade, they should just keep #8 and continue to build.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
If CLE gets Williams, Hickson becomes expendable. He did well during the last half of the season. Should we look at a player like that?

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Right now I feel the safest pick for ARZ is a big man, namely Markieff Morris. He is probably the best defensive PF that will be available when we pick, is a legit 6'10 in shoes and isn't completely incompetent on offense. How will he do without his brother remains to be seen but he is probably the most complete big man in the draft in terms of offense and defense. He probably will be the pick unless, a PG or Boyimbo slides or PHX falls in love with a foreign player.

PLEASE NO

Markief Morris is not a legit 6'10.

He is dumb as a rock and not athletic at all. And the touted shooting touch he did not show at the combine.

If we draft Markieff Morris it is an utter failure. That like drafting Earl Clark again without potential and less athleticism.

Also this would AGAIN be the lesser brother/twin.

We don't have to draft a PF. A player for our future is what we need regardless of position.

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
Markief Morris? No thank you.

After getting the lesser of the Griffin brothers, and the lesser of the Lopez brothers, I think PHX should stay away from both of the Morris twins :)

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Honestly folks, who is going to be available at #14 that is going to help this team? Really, criticize the kid all you want but this is an extremely weak draft class. Why else would CLE be willing to trade the #4 & #8 (if they can make the proposed trade happen) for the #2? And I answer because they know next to Irving & Williams there is no one that will help them next year. So who do we take, another wing to further create a log jam? Reach for a PG like Darius Morris who is more of a SG? Jimmer Fredette? Unless PHX makes a trade we NEED a PF, Frye is a tweener and our bench 4's are pretty useless. We need a rebounder/shotblocker to help with the interior defense. We really should have kept Amare but we took a huge gamble and have not been able to replace him.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Did anybody else read that the Pistons will give you their #1 if you take Rip. Do the Suns still have the Amare exception?

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Tristan Thompson 2.4; Chris Singleton 1.5; Jan Vesely; JaJuan Johnson 2.3; Kenneth Faried 2.3; etc. - are all much better shotblockers than Markieff (1.1) and he is 6'9 with short arms and not a lot of athleticism...

I can't stand either of the Morris twins; EVERY game they yack and yack and talk trash to players, opposing fans, etc. - Garnett like without having a Garnett like game to back it up. Out of my top-40 Prospects - the Morris twins are the two I'd dislike Drafting the most!

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Did anybody else read that the Pistons will give you their #1 if you take Rip. Do the Suns still have the Amare exception?

I think that we used it on Childress & Hedo, but I've read that DET wants players back in a trade & I don't think we have anything that would interest them.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Tristan Thompson 2.4; Chris Singleton 1.5; Jan Vesely; JaJuan Johnson 2.3; Kenneth Faried 2.3; etc. - are all much better shotblockers than Markieff (1.1) and he is 6'9 with short arms and not a lot of athleticism...

I can't stand either of the Morris twins; EVERY game they yack and yack and talk trash to players, opposing fans, etc. - Garnett like without having a Garnett like game to back it up. Out of my top-40 Prospects - the Morris twins are the two I'd dislike Drafting the most!

Lets look at the prospects:

Thompson - I like him but he is 6'8 225, a little undersized for an NBA PF and most mocks have him going before #13.

Singleton - A tweener (3/4) who lacks the strength to play PF.

Vesely - Will be gone before #13 and not really known for rebounding or defense like most Euros.

Johnson: Strength will always be a weakness, will get pushed around in the post. Raw offensively.

Faried - Like him too but 6'8 220 is undersized.

I wish we had a couple of second rounders where guys like Greg Smith, Jamie Skeen, Willie Reed, Rick Jackson or Jordan Williams would justify the risk with potential rewards.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Thompson would actually be listed at 6'9, example the Prospects measured 6'8.75 (all the 3/4ths) would be listed 6'9 and I have him going before #13 too, so it really doesn't matter.

Singleton is a better athlete across the board and measured better; and is the closest to lockdown defender in Draft... I'm not an expert but i see him as a 4 - Markieff weighs 10 more pounds but Singleton with the athleticism and length, makes up for it.

Faried is a bit short and Johnson is thin but I don't believe Johnson is raw offensively - he averaged over 20 PTS. Oh and I forgot to mention Bismack Biyombo but would probably agree he'd go higher than #13.

My choice would be Singleton; if Thompson, Vesely, and Biyombo aren't on the board - I feel Singleton is best defender in Draft and is similar size to Josh Smith who is good at the 4 defensively. Singleton not be a great post-up threat at the 4 but neither would Markieff. The same 7'0 footers that Singleton would struggle with; would give Morris problems as well.

I wouldn't pass up Singleton because of the 10 lb difference when Singleton is better athletically; measured better (same height); better defender; and better statwise. Markieff was also labeled as knucklehead early on and of the 2, it'd be wrong brother again, so I'd rather have Marcus.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Honestly folks, who is going to be available at #14 that is going to help this team? Really, criticize the kid all you want but this is an extremely weak draft class. Why else would CLE be willing to trade the #4 & #8 (if they can make the proposed trade happen) for the #2? And I answer because they know next to Irving & Williams there is no one that will help them next year. So who do we take, another wing to further create a log jam? Reach for a PG like Darius Morris who is more of a SG? Jimmer Fredette? Unless PHX makes a trade we NEED a PF, Frye is a tweener and our bench 4's are pretty useless. We need a rebounder/shotblocker to help with the interior defense. We really should have kept Amare but we took a huge gamble and have not been able to replace him.

Please tell me why you think Darius Morris is a SG. He's got one of the best, if not the best, PG skills in this draft.

Dont make up BS just to prove a point.

O yea and btw we pick at #13 not 14.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
High ceiling: Markieff is Kris Humphries - Not as great athlete as Kris, but good rebounder and can defend. Am I spelling ceiling, right??

High ceiling: Singleton is Josh Smith - Solid defender and stat sheet stuffer.

I'd be happier with Darius Morris over Markieff lol Darius averaged 6.7 assists and has size. Not a leaper but he didn't look like too bad of an athlete... he improved so much this year, he'll likely get better at shooting from perimeter.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Marshon Brooks? He is the sleeper pick in the draft imo.

If Burks and Biyombo are gone by #13, then I wouldnt mind getting Darius Morris or Marshon Brooks. Imo both have starting caliber potential.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I have Marshon Brooks #14 on my Draftboard, mainly because I have Chris Singleton #13! lol

but Burks, Hamilton, or Brooks would be good choices at the 2 position and I like Klay Thompson's scoring/shooting abilty but not so much defensively - even though he measured well. I also like Honeycutt and Leslie but they both don't appear to be what the Suns are looking for, in a 2 that can create offensively. but who knows.

My sleeper is Iman Shumpert G Georgia Tech - Brooks is starting to get high reviews and getting Lottery mention now. Shumpert is on the 40+ range from what I've seen on boards but he's as good athlete there is in Draft; almost as good defender in Draft; and he has size.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Please tell me why you think Darius Morris is a SG. He's got one of the best, if not the best, PG skills in this draft.

Dont make up BS just to prove a point.

O yea and btw we pick at #13 not 14.

Okay, so you want a PG that can't shoot (25%) from beyond the arc, and will struggle to play defense. He is being compared to Andre Miller but I think Andre Miller was a much better player coming out of college than Morris. Gets most of his points by driving to the basket but will be more difficult to do in the NBA when you lack quickness and aren't a threat from the perimeter.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so you want a PG that can't shoot (25%) from beyond the arc, and will struggle to play defense. He is being compared to Andre Miller but I think Andre Miller was a much better player coming out of college than Morris. Gets most of his points by driving to the basket but will be more difficult to do in the NBA when you lack quickness and aren't a threat from the perimeter.

I agree. I might give him a look as an undrafted player but in the NBA, he's neither a point guard nor a shooting guard. He can't shoot, he's not comfortable with either hand and he almost always goes right when he penetrates. And he's a huge turnover risk on the rare occasion that he does try to go left. He's a fairly smart player and he showed considerable improvement in his sophomore season but he's a 2nd rounder at best.

Steve

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the idea of drafting Bismack Biyombo, but some mock drafts have him going higher. I don't really like a lot of the players projected to go around where the suns will be picking. If the Suns are really trying to reinvent themselves on defense, then I think they might be looking really hard at Chris Singleton, which wouldn't be a horrible choice given some of the alternatives, imo.

Btw, will the Suns be holding any pre-draft workouts this year, or are they trying to save a few more bucks? They haven't announced any workouts yet.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the idea of drafting Bismack Biyombo, but some mock drafts have him going higher. I don't really like a lot of the players projected to go around where the suns will be picking. If the Suns are really trying to reinvent themselves on defense, then I think they might be looking really hard at Chris Singleton, which wouldn't be a horrible choice given some of the alternatives, imo.

Btw, will the Suns be holding any pre-draft workouts this year, or are they trying to save a few more bucks? They haven't announced any workouts yet.

I like Biyombo too. I would take him if available. I would not hesitate to take Fredette at 13 either. If there is anything we learn from the draft is that kids who are athletically gifted, with no particularly great skill, and questionable motivation, constantly fail. Earl Clark, Beasley and others are constant examples.

If the player we draft does not have a supreme amount of confidence and a killer instinct, I don't want him. The other things can be added on top of it. To me, the players with killer instinct, a particularly highly developed specialty, and great athleticism are

Biyombo (shotblocking, rebounding, defense, Garnet-like motor, huge athleticism),

Fredette (best shooter to come out in years and from all over the court and in all situations, wants the last shot, supreme confidence in his abilities, much quicker than previously thought, strongest pg in the draft, would be one of the strongest pgs in the nba and uses that strength to get his shot off),

Faried (best rebounder to come out in years, voracious rebounder, defender and shot blocker, very athletic and longer than many players thought of as taller than him).

As much as I love Steve Nash, I am ready to trade him if we could get something for him. I would move him for a mid first rounder if it could net us a Faried or Fredette.

BTW. This is a great evaluation of Fredette and the defense issue.

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2...er-fredettes-defense-or-apparent-lack-thereof

Last edited:
OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Fredette and Farried aren't nearly as good as you make them out to be.

Fredette did poorly shooting on the run at the combine. Best shooter in years is a huge reach, a poor mans Stephen Curry at best...

Farried is a 6'7 220lbs PF... next Bo Outlaw.. and played against weak competition.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fredette and Farried aren't nearly as good as you make them out to be.

Fredette did poorly shooting on the run at the combine. Best shooter in years is a huge reach, a poor mans Stephen Curry at best...

Farried is a 6'7 220lbs PF... next Bo Outlaw.. and played against weak competition.

Slin, I know we disagree on these guys. We'll just have to wait until they start playing in NBA games to see.

BTW, Faried's standing reach is 9' 0'. That is 6th of all the players at the combine. His reach is just 1.5 inches shorter than Kanter who is projected as a center. He is longer than Derrick Williams and the Morris twins. He is the same as Amare coming out, Faried is 7 pounds lighter than Amare was). His no-step vertical reach is 4th among players measured--only behind Keith Benson, Jajuan Johnson, and Malcom Thomas. It might explain his deceptively effective college rebounding ability. Yes, he may be a Bo Outlaw. But he also might be a Dennis Rodman (with a better mental makeup). His offensive skills would be open for criticism, but he has the size to play pf in the nba. He can defend the 3 4 and 5 positions. Put him next to a pf that can open the floor up with shooting (like Channing Frye) and you have a nice combination of skills.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Standing reahc is all fine and great but the fact is he is 6'7 and 215 or something he is as undersized as you get.

I can't get why people keep bringing up Rodman in a sentence with Faried. Rodman is ONE exception and the only exception. Maybe Ben Wallace too but he was much stronger. And that is in the last 30-40 years...

Faried and Gortat is a horrible frontcourt. 2 guys with almost not offensive skills and no real shotblocking, Faried a lot undersized at his position and Gortat also not really big at 6'11.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn