2005 Dbacks Draft Thread

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
KLL said:
Round #16:

Craig Pfautz Darton Col LHP R/L 6'3" 190 1984-09-13 JR
COMMENT: Smaller version of Mitch Williams. Easy, sneaky deliver. FB come in at high-80s, sinks down and away from RHH. Throws a slider w/ late, downward break. Also has a curve.

Didn't the Wild Thing throw in the mid 90's for a while? High 80's would seem to make him similar to Brohawn, the guy we got for Patterson (forgot his name already), Mike Myers, etc.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
That appears to be it for the day. Thanks, KLL, for your prompt and thorough updates. You'll be on your own tomorrow! Nice to find others as nuts about the baseball draft as I am.

No problem... I really do enjoy doing this.... Thanks for your contributions and I hope I can manage to survive through Rounds 19-50... Lord.. will be so many challenges ahead in myself gathering info on these players (more than likely they'd target a quite a few more high school players during the 2nd day)....

This will be where picks #19-#21 will be included... I pretty much scheduled today and tomorrow around the draft...

Round #19:

Kyle Wright

Comments: Tall frame, long hands, fingers. Throws strikes. FB is in the upper-80s w/some sink. Out-pitch is a hard splitter that dives near the plate.
Most LHH can't lay off. Can throw splitter in any count. Gets a lot of
ground-ball outs. Works fast.

My thought: Could he potentially be our future closer? He seems to have an effective out pitch for that role and possibly could learn some techniques to add some more zip to his fast ball.

Bellevue (WA)
Columbia Basin

Height: 6-foot-2
Weight: 180 pounds
Class: '03
Bats: right
Throws: right

Lewis-Clark's roster page is coming up as an invalid link... will try to find more on him....

Round #20:

Peter Duda

You must be registered for see images

Pete Duda

Player Profile
Class:
Junior
Hometown:
Bayonne, NJ
High School:
St. Peter's Prep

Height / Weight:
6-4 / 215
Position:
RHP
Birthdate:
09/10/1983
Experience:
2V
Bats/Throws:
R/R

Getting To Know Pete Duda

General: A power pitcher that is the hardest thrower on the staff with a fastball in the mid-90's and a big upside • Expected to make a much bigger contribution to the staff this season • Continuing to develop a second effective pitch with either a slider or changeup to compliment his fastball • Expected to compete for action in middle relief or possibly even a short relief role as he moves up in rank on the team's pitching staff after the best fall season of his career in 2004 • Has been brought along slowly after an arm injury late in his prep career.

As A Junior in 2005: Has not pitched.

Individual Game Notes (2005)
Game-By-Game Statistics

As A Sophomore In 2004: Made four relief appearances without a decision and recorded an ERA of 8.44 ERA with two strikeouts in 5.1 innings pitched • Threw a combined 3.0 scoreless innings in his first two collegiate appearances.

Individual Game Notes (2004)
Game-By-Game Statistics
5/18 vs. San Francisco - ND, 2.0 IP, 1 SO • 5/11 vs. Santa Clara - ND, 1.0 IP ... collegiate debut

As A Freshman In 2003: A member of the team but did not see any game action.

High School: A 2002 graduate of St. Peter's Prep • Named All-Hudson Area First Team by the Newark Star Ledger and All-County First Team by the Jersey Journal three times each (1999-2001) • Posted a 21-8 career prep record • Had excellent junior and sophomore seasons with a 7-3 record, 2.80 ERA, 95 strikeouts and 26 walks in 64.0 innings in 2001, which followed an 8-1 record with a 2.59 ERA, 71 strikeouts and 23 walks in 56.2 innings in 2000 • Tossed a no-hitter versus Bayonne High School during his sophomore campaign • Led his team to an unprecedented four consecutive Hudson County Inter-Scholastic Athletic Association (HCIAA) titles, earning 2001 MVP honors at the league tournament • Had 3-2 records in both an injury-plagued 2002 senior season and as a freshman on the varsity in 1999 • Also played one season of prep basketball • Earned a Presidential Scholarship to attend St. Peter's • Coached in baseball by Joe Urbanovich.

Other Amateur Baseball: Had a nice summer in 2004 with the Weatherford Wranglers of the Texas Collegiate League, going 4-2 with a 3.27 ERA and 29 strikeouts in 44.0 innings (second on the team) in eight appearances and six starts to earn a spot on the league's All-Star team • Helped the Wranglers to a playoff spot before the team lost in the Texas Collegiate League semifinal series • Returned to the mound in the summer of 2003 after having missed the previous summer with an arm injury and posted a 1-1 record with a 4.87 ERA and 13 strikeouts in 20.1 innings for the Middletown Giants of the New England Collegiate Baseball League, adding a save and two starts in eight appearances • Participated in the 2001 Area Code Games in Long Beach • Pitched at the 2001 Continental Amateur Baseball Association High School World Series with the New York Futures • Participated at the 2001 Tournament of Stars Junior National Team Trials, and the 1999 and 2000 USA Junior Olympics with the Jersey City Stars of Tomorrow team.

MLB First-Year Player Draft: Has never been drafted.

Career Game Highs
IP - 2.0, vs. San Francisco (5/18/04)
SO - 1, twice, last vs. Arizona State (5/30/04)

Getting To Know Pete Duda
Born: September 10, 1983
Parents: Serge and Antonia Duda
Major: Economics
Nickname: The Dude
Number Change: Pete has changed his uniform from No. 14 last year to No. 15 this season
Off The Field: Pete is a member of Cardinal Council and the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity
Pre-Game Ritual: Likes to take naps before games, which he began when he got sick before a game in high school and went to sleep in the Athletic Director's office before waking up and tossing his first no-hitter
The reason I love baseball is: Being part of the deep-rooted tradition of America's pastime
Biggest thrill of my life to date is: Skydiving
Since coming to Stanford, I have learned: How to wake up really early
Favorite Pro Sports Team: New York Yankees
Favorite Pro Sports Athlete: Roger Clemens
Best Advice Received: Live my life, so I will never have any regrets
Advice To Youngsters: Work your heart out so that you will never wonder what you could have been
I am most thankful in my life for: My family always being there for me
Earliest Baseball Memory: Going to Toys R Us with my dad to get my first bat and glove for tee-ball

Last Updated: 2/17/05

Round #21:

Matthew Krohe

LH Pitcher
Height: 6'3
Class: Junior
Hometown: Virginia, IL
Major: Sport Management

ERA-2.91
Record-4-3
Games-15
Starts-13
CG-2
SO-2
SV-0
IP-77.1
H-62
R-41
ER-25
Split:90 Ks/28 BBs
2B-11
3B-1
HR-4
AB-285
OBA-.218
WP-1
HBP-7
BK-2
SFA-3
SHA-8

Last edited:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KLL said:
No problem... I really do enjoy doing this.... Thanks for your contributions and I hope I can manage to survive through Rounds 19-50... Lord.. will be so many challenges ahead in myself gathering info on these players (more than likely they'd target a quite a few more high school players during the 2nd day)....

This will be where picks #19-#21 will be included... I pretty much scheduled today and tomorrow around the draft...

Thanks for doing this but you really don't have to gather info on all the Diamondback draft picks.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Thanks for doing this but you really don't have to gather info on all the Diamondback draft picks

Yes you do! Besides, its a labor of love - I can tell. :thumbup:
I appreciate the pics especially, as well as all the background. I know last year I referred back to the draft thread for a couple months as our new players started producing numbers.

My mlb.com connection crashed, so I missed the last 3 rounds, thinking it was over for the day :(
- I am very pleased they got Urquidez - I have liked him a lot over the last couple years from following ASU ball.

If I am free in the afternoon tomorrow I'll chip in some time - I took today off work just for the draft, but couldn't completely free both days.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Yes you do! Besides, its a labor of love - I can tell. :thumbup:
I appreciate the pics especially, as well as all the background. I know last year I referred back to the draft thread for a couple months as our new players started producing numbers.

My mlb.com connection crashed, so I missed the last 3 rounds, thinking it was over for the day :(
- I am very pleased they got Urquidez - I have liked him a lot over the last couple years from following ASU ball.

If I am free in the afternoon tomorrow I'll chip in some time - I took today off work just for the draft, but couldn't completely free both days.

What I meant was for the later rounds it might take a lot of time to gather the information. If he does not mind doing it, that's great, but I would hate to think he has to do this.

Anyway, thanks for the updates. I was at work and kept coming back to see who was picked. Much faster than the NFL draft. :biglaugh:

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Round #22:

Maels Rodriguez
RHP
6'0
215 lbs.

You must be registered for see images attach

Top Cuban Pitcher Maels Rodriguez Defects

Associated Press

MIAMI -->
Rodriguez and another player, Yobal Duenas, were reported missing by Cuban authorities Saturday and they both apparently left the island in a speed boat.

"They're safe," said Joe Garcia, executive director of the Cuban American National Foundation. He declined further comment.

Rodriguez, a 24-year-old right-handed pitcher, is one of Cuba's top pitchers, but recent rumors have signaled he may have injured his pitching arm. Cuban media report Rodriguez' fastball regularly tops 100 mph.

He set the single-season strikeout record in Cuba with 263 in 178 1/3 innings three years ago. This season, he was 8-3 in 113 innings with 117 strikeouts and an ERA of 3.11. Cuban officials left him off the Pan American Games and Olympic qualifying teams, blaming arm and back injuries for the loss of 15 mph off his fastball.

"I'll demonstrate ÛI'm healthyÝ," Rodriguez said in an interview Thursday on Miami Spanish-language radio station WQBA-AM. "I'm going to demonstrate that I can still throw 100. These are things that they invent to cut a little off the careers of some athletes."

Orioles | More on Maels - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:31:27 -0800

The Baltimore Sun's Roch Kubatko reports Cuban defector P Maels Rodriguez hasn't pitched in two years after defecting from Cuba and suffering an injury. A pulled muscle near his rib cage has led Rodriguez to lower his elbow and lose velocity and movement. He still isn't close to throwing at his normal speed. "He was one of the best pitchers in the whole world," Baltimore Orioles scout Chu Halabi said. "His fastball is always around 96, 97. He has a great curveball. He's a great competitor. And he's a legitimate 25 years old. He's the real, real deal. We might be lucky."

Orioles | Cuban Defectors Rodriguez Brothers Work Out - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:25:55 -0800

The Baltimore Sun's Roch Kubatko reports the Baltimore Orioles worked out Cuban defector pitchers Maels Rodriguez and Jose Rodriguez. Maels was a hot prospect last offseason but interest thinned due to a shoulder injury. "At this point, we've had multiple teams inquire about Maels and some also about Jose. They've all expressed interest in working out both brothers," agent Barry Praver said.

Red Sox | Rodriguez Underwhelming - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:50:47 -0800

The Boston Herald reports the Boston Red Sox are unlikely to sign Cuban free-agent P Maels Rodriguez, as he underwhelmed the team during his El Salvador tryout on Thursday.

MLB | Rodriguez Workout Update - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:06:48 -0800

The AP's Marcos Aleman reports free agent SP Maels Rodriguez proved his arm was healthy in a recent workout but did not top 90 mph despite reports that he could get his fastball up to 100 mph.

Mariners | Scout, Former GM To Watch Cuban - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:41:27 -0800

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports the Seattle Mariners will have their chief Latin American scout, Bob Engle, and former general manager Pat Gillick on hand Thursday, Jan. 22, in San Salvador when Cuban defector P Maels Rodriguez throws for big-league scouts.

Rangers | Team To Send Two Scouts For M. Rodriguez - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:07:47 -0800

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports the Texas Rangers will send two scouts to El Salvador for Cuban P Maels Rodriguez's workout Thursday, Jan. 22. Rodriguez defected from Cuba late last year and was recently granted free agency by Major League Baseball. But Rangers assistant general manager Grady Fuson isn't sure how strong the club's interest is. "We're not going down there with the intention of signing this guy," Fuson said. "We're going down there with the intention of scouting him, just like any other guy who's a free agent."

Red Sox | Team Looking At Cuban Pitcher - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:44:58 -0800

Jeff Horrigan, of the Boston Herald, reports free agent P Maels Rodriguez, who defected from Cuba in October, is expected to audition for big league scouts in El Salvador on Thursday, Jan. 22, and the Boston Red Sox plan to be on hand. The 24-year-old was declared a free agent by Major League Baseball last week after establishing legal residency in El Salvador. "We'll have guys there to watch him but that's all I'll say,'' Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said. Rodriguez's fastball has reportedly reached 100 mph in the past, but Cuban officials said after his defection that he'd lost up to 15 mph last year.

MLB | M. Rodriguez to Audition - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:03:56 -0800

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer's John Hickey reports Cuban-defector SP Maels Rodriguez (pronounced "Miles") will audition for MLB scouts Thursday, Jan. 22, in San Salvador, El Salvador. Rodriguez, 24, is the only pitcher in Cuban baseball since Fidel Castro's rise to power to throw a perfect game and has a fastball that has been clocked at 100 mph.

MLB | Rodriguez Defects from Cuba - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 09:52:55 -0800

ESPN.com reports Cuban National Team P Maels Rodriguez was reported missing by authorities Saturday, Nov. 1. Rodriguez, 24, set the single-season strikeout record in Cuba with 263 in 178 1/3 innings three years ago. This season, he was 8-3 in 113 innings with 117 strikeouts and an ERA of 3.11. Cuban officials left him off the Pan American Games and Olympic qualifying teams, blaming arm and back injuries for the loss of 15 mph off his fastball. "I want to play the best baseball, and that's in the United States," Rodriguez said. "It's a difficult step because you know how things are in Cuba. So when Yobal (Duenas) and I made this decision, it was the most important one in our careers."

Cuban Refugees
By Bryan Smith

Yesterday, two Cuban pitchers took the mound in front of Major League scouts in an attempt to attract a large offer. One is a 24-year-old flamethrower that would be a 'rookie' in 2004, while the other is a 38-year-old five-year veteran. The latter has accumulated more than 50 wins during that time, including a 17-win 1999. Both have large injury concerns, the younger was said to lose 10mph off his fastball last year, while the elder didn't pitch in 2003.

So, that begs the questions, where will Maels Rodriguez and Orlando Hernandez pitch in 2004, and how effective will they be?

Hernandez threw at the University of Houston yesterday morning, in front of scouts from twenty Major League teams. El Duque said through an interpreter that he was about 85%, and that he would be 100% by Spring Training. Hernandez looked to have revive his career with a strong 2002 season, but shoulder surgery kept him out a year ago.

In 2002, Hernandez made 22 starts with the Yankees, compiling an 8-5 record with a 3.64ERA. He only allowed 131 hits in 146 innings, while striking out 113. His K/9 has always been around 7.00 during his career, but a K/BB of 3.14 was a career high. El Duque has always been a flyball pitcher, as his career GB/FB rate of 0.81 shows. Hernandez throws a ton of different pitches, and has used almost every arm angle in the book. In 2002 he revived the 'eephus' pitch, an lob that he threw to Alex Rodrigeuz, that the slugger promptly hit out of Arlington Park.

So far, we know that the Yankees, Dodgers, Mets, and Pirates were all present to see Hernandez throw. The Yankees seemed to be there out of courtesy, as vice president of major league scouting Damon Oppenheimer said, "We have a lot of respect for him, so we wanted to make sure we were down here." That doesn't indicate a whole lot of current interest, so don't expect the Yankees to make a run after him. Returning to New York is a possibility, but it would be as a member of the Mets. Hernandez would be effective in Shea Stadium, but not in Texas, another possible destination.

As for Maels Rodriguez, details of his throwing session haven't been published yet, but the Red Sox had a private workout with the right-hander earlier in the week. The "100mph fastball" that Cubans bragged about wasn't quite true, although the Red Sox did have him in the mid-90s. Rodriguez set the Cuban record for strikeouts in the 2000 season, compiling 263 in 178.1 innings. He was limited to 113 innings last year, but kept his strikeouts high at 117.

In a USA Today article this week, Milton Jamail, author of Full Count: Inside Cuban Baseball is quoted as saying "If I was a team with a lot of money, I'd take a chance with Maels. If I was in a middle market, I wouldn't consider it." Minnesota Twins GM Terry Ryan repeated more of the same, saying "When I see certain (big-spending) teams are going, I figure 'What's the point?.'"

The main competitors for Maels' services figure to be the Yankees, Rangers, and Mariners. With the retirement of Kaz Sasaki, the Mariners have the most money to spend, but Tom Hicks and George Steinbrenner aren't used to standing down in auctions. Rodriguez would help the Rangers the most, who have needed an ace atop their staff since Nolan Ryan left. Maels would replace Gil Meche in the Mariner rotation, but wouldn't even be guaranteed a spot with the Yankees. Instead, he would battle it out in Spring Training with Tommy John surgery recoveree Jon Lieber.

If Rodriguez signs with the Yankees he is likely to follow the path of fellow Cuban Jose Contreras. But, that's where the comparisons between the two countrymen end. Contreras was said to be Cuba's best pitcher, and is a 6-4, 224 lbs. beast. Rodriguez is said to be 5-11, which will turn many scouts away. While I consider Contreras with the highest regard, Rodriguez shouldn't be expected to have the same success. Someone will drastically overpay for Maels, who should be a little above league average during the life of the deal he signs.

Round #23:

Travis Tully

Travis Tully
Player Profile
Class:
Junior
Hometown:
Richmond, Texas
High School:
Spring

Height / Weight:
5-9 / 170
Position:
OF
Birthdate:
01/31/1984
Experience:
2L

2004 All-Conference USA Second Team
2004 Minute Maid Park College Classic All-Tournament Team
2003 Conference USA All-Freshmen Team
2003 Silver Glove All-Series Team

Is no relation to current Cougar teammate Bryan Tully.

SOPHOMORE (2004)
Recorded a team-best 21-game hitting streak midway through the season... Was the fourth longest streak in school history and the second-longest in-season streak... Was the only player to start and play in all 59 games... Finished fourth on the team with a .308 batting average and led all Cougar baserunners with 17 stolen bases.... Led team with 41 runs and finished second with 26 walks... Batted .57 against C-USA opponents... Finished second with 25 multi-hit games...Was the only Cougar named to the All-C-USA Teams as a Second-Team honoree... Batted 2-for-5 with a run and two RBIs' in the Cougars' season-opening win against Kansas State at the Minute Maid Park College Classic... Batted 4-for-6 with a run and stolen base against Texas Tech at the Minute Maid Park College Classic... Went 2-for-4 with a run and RBI against nationally-ranked Baylor... Batted 3-for-4 with a run and swiped a pair of bases at LSU in the series opener... Went 2-for-5 against nationally-ranked Texas A&M... Recorded two RBIs against UCLA during the final day of the Aztec Invitational at PETCO Park... Batted 3-for-5 with two runs and two RBIs at Southern Miss in the middle game of that series... Went 2-for-4 with a pair of runs at Southern Miss in the series finale.. Led all players by batting 3-for-4 with a double against TCU in the series opener... Batted 2-for-3 with two runs, two walks and an RBI against TCU in the series finale... Went 2-for-5 with a run at UAB in the series finale... Batted 2-for-5 with an RBI against Charlotte in the first game of a doubleheader... Went 2-for-4 against Charlotte in the nightcap of a doubleheader... Batted 2-for-5 with an RBI at Texas A&M... Went 2-for-4 with a double and run against Saint Louis in the series opener... Batted 3-for-5 with a run at Saint Louis in the middle game of that series... Scored two runs at Texas-San Antonio... Batted 2-for-4 with a run and two RBIs against Cincinnati in the middle game of the series... Went 2-for-4 with a run and two stolen bases against Cincinnati in the series finale... Batted 2-for-4 with a pair of runs against Sam Houston State... Went 3-for-5 with two runs and an RBI in the series opener at East Carolina... Went 2-for-4 with a triple, RBI and two runs scored at East Carolina in the middle game of that series... Batted 2-for-4 with a pair of runs against Memphis in the series opener... Went 2-for-4 with a run against Memphis in the series finale... Batted 2-for-5 with a run, double and two RBIs at Louisville during the first game of a doubleheader... Saw his 21-game hitting streak snapped against Tulane in the second game of that series... Went 2-for-4 with a run against Tulane in the series finale. C-USA Tournament: Laced a two-RBI double in the bottom of the eighth inning to tie the game against East Carolina during the second round.

FRESHMAN (2003)
Made a tremendous impact during his first collegiate season... Finished with a .350 batting average, second-best on the team and the highest mark by a Cougar freshman in a decade... Missed 13 games early in the season with hand and hamstring injuries... Finished third on the squad with 28 RBIs and second with 12 stolen bases in 15 attempts... Second on the team with a .420 on-base percentage... Went 1-for-4 in a win at Pepperdine at the Battle at the Beach for his first collegiate hit... Ended tournament stay by hitting 2-for-4 against Washington...Returned to the Cougar lineup against Louisiana-Lafayette after breaking his hand early in the season... Scored the tying run as a pinch-runner in the first game of the Cajun series... Returned to the Cougar starting lineup in center field against Northwestern State in the second game of that series... Went 3-for-3 with a run against East Carolina in the series finale... Continued hot hitting by going 3-for-5 with a run and RBI against Rice in Game Three of the Silver Glove Series... Went 3-for-5 with three runs at Cincinnati in the first game of that series... Went 2-for-5 with a run, double and two RBIs in the second game of the Cincinnati series... Batted 2-for-5 with a pair of RBI in the Cincinnati series finale... Batted 2-for-5 with a run and RBI at Sam Houston State... Went 2-for-5 with a run at TCU in the middle game of the series... Went 2-for-3 with a pair of runs at TCU in the series finale... Batted 2-for-4 with a pair of runs against Texas State... Went 2-for-2 with an RBI and knocked in an insurance run against Rice in the Silver Glove Series finale... Batted 2-for-4 with a double and three RBIs against Saint Louis in the second game of the series... Went 2-for-5 with a run at South Florida in the first game of a doubleheader... Batted 2-for-5 with a run and two RBIs. at South Florida in the nightcap of a doubleheader... Went 1-for-3 and tied the game at 4-4 in the eight inning with a two-RBI single at No. 20 Baylor on April 30... Batted 2-for-4 with two runs and two RBIs against Louisville in the series finale... Started Cougar rally in the eighth inning at Memphis in the second game of the series with a hit and stolen base.. Scored the game-tying run late and finished the day against the Tigers 2-for-5 with a run... Batted 2-for-5 at No. 9 Texas A&M... Batted 2-for-5 with a run against Southern Miss in the series opener. C-USA Tournament: Started the Cougar rally in the bottom of the ninth with a single against East Carolina during the first round. NCAA Regional at College Station: Batted 2-for-3 with a run against Alabama during the NCAA Regional at College Station... Started the Cougar rally in the eighth inning with a leadoff single against Oral Roberts... Batted 3-for-5 with a run and RBI against Alabama in an elimination game at the ... Scored two runs against Texas A&M during the first meeting at the NCAA Regional... Lifted a sacrifice fly to left field in the bottom of the ninth to score Michael Bourn and tie the game at 6-6 against Texas A&M during the championship game. NCAA Super Regional at Reckling Park: Batted 2-for-5 with a double against Rice during Game Two.

SPRING HIGH SCHOOL
Lettered for head coach Kenny Humphreys at Spring High School... Helped lead Spring High to a 20-9 record and third-place finish in District 15-5A as a senior... Was an All-District First Team honoree for three years... As a senior, named to All-State Second Team and participated in the All-Greater Houston Coaches' All-Star Game.

PERSONALFull name is Travis Austin Tully... Born on Jan. 31, 1984, in Houston, Texas... Son of Tim and Barkla Tully... Majoring in technology... Was also recruited by Tulane, Oklahoma State, Kansas and Grayson County Junior College.... Father Tim and brother Trevor both played baseball at Texas-Pan American.

Round #24:

Vincent Bongiovanni

Vince Bongiovanni
Player Profile
Class:
Senior
Hometown:
Barrington, IL
High School:
Barrington HS

Height / Weight:
6-5 / 217
Position:
RHP
Experience:
3 Letters
Major:
Business Management

At Miami
Vince Bongiovanni will compete for one of three spots in the Hurricanes' weekend rotation and could also see action in mid-week starts ... a tall right-hander with an explosive fastball ... made seven starts in 2004 ... posted a 3-2 record with a 5.40 ERA ... pitched out of the No. 2 spot in the Hurricanes rotation in 2003 ... finished toe 2003 campaign with an 8-4 record and a 4.00 ERA ... as a freshman in 2002, Bongiovanni made four spot starts for the Hurricanes and 14 appearances ... despite a 1-4 record and 6.23 ERA he struck out 39 with 19 walks ... ended his freshman season strong with his best outing of the year against FIU in the 2002 NCAA Gainesville Regional opener ... spent the past two summers in the Cape Cod League pitching for the Bourne Braves ... compiled a 3-2 record with a 2.89 ERA in 2003 and a 0-1 record with a 0.48 ERA in 18.2 ... struck out 47 hitters in just 46.2 innings of work for Bourne over two years.

Junior (2004)
Bongiovanni struggled with his control and was moved to the bullpen in late March ... posted a 3-2 record in seven starts ... complied a 5.40 ERA in 38.1 innings of work with 36 strikeouts and 27 walks ... was outstanding in on the opening weekend of the year against Florida ... turned in one of the best performances of his career, taking a no-hitter into the sixth inning agaisnt the Gators ... ran into trouble in that inning, allowing three hits and one run before being relieved by Alex Blanco ... last 5.2 innings and struck out seven ... pitched four innings against Tennessee earning the no decision ... allowed four runs (two earned) while striking out three and walking four ... allowed six earned runs on seven hits while walking four in a no decision against FIU at Homestead on Feb. 27 ... pitched six innings aganinst Maine, allowing three runs on four hits ... struck out seven and walked two in a no decision ... earned his second win with six innings of work against South Florida ... did not walk a batter and struck out for ... allowed four hits and one run ... took the loss after allowing four runs on six hits over five innings ... walked three and struck out six ... suffered his first loss of the season at South Florida ... allowed four runs (four earned) on five hits while walking three and striking out six ... turned in the worst outing of his career against FIU on March 24 ... gave up four runs (three earned) on five hit in just one-third of an inning ... made his first relief appearance since May 31, 2002, with one inning of work against Penn State on March 28 ... allowed one hit and struck out one ... made two relief appearances against Florida State in Coral Gables ... pitched three combined innings ... allowed one run on three hits ... two innings came in UM's 10-0 win on April 16 ... held the Noles without a hit and stuck out four ... pitched an inning against Virginia, walking two and striking out one ... pitched two-third of an inning on May 2 against Coastal Carolina ... recorded the final out of the eighth inning to get UM out of trouble ... continued to struggle with his control ... walked five in just 1.1 innings of work against FAU ... gave up two hits and two runs to Florida Atlantic, May 19 ... did not see action in the postseason for Miami.

Sophomore (2003)
Bongiovanni spent most of the season as the Hurricanes' No. 2 starter ... the right-hander has an explosive fastball but missed four starts toward the end of the season with a strained right forearm ... finished with a 8-4 record in 72 innings with a 4.00 ERA ... had a better than 2-to-1 strikeout to walk ratio (69 to 34) ... struck out a career-high 10 batters against Campbell ... pitched 6.0 innings while allowing no runs and only one hit ... allowed three runs (two earned) on five hits in 5.2 innings of work in his first loss of the season against Florida on Feb. 15 ... gave up one run on three hits over 5.2 innings of work against San Diego State to earn the win ... allowed only one run, while surrendering five hits and striking out five ... went 6.0 innings earning a no decision at Tennessee ... allowed four runs (three earned) and struck out four ... pitched a career-high 7.1 innings in a 6-1 UM win ... earned his second no-decision of the 2003 season with six innings of work ... gave up two runs on four hits and walked five, while striking out six ... worked 5.1 innings against Boston College, allowing six hits and three runs, while striking out six and walking four ... lasted only 1.2 innings against Oral Roberts, allowing four hits, four runs (three earned) and two walks ... missed a scheduled start against Virginia with a strained forearm ... came back against FSU, but re-injured the forearm after giving up four runs on five hits in 2.1 innings ... returned to the UM rotation after missing three starts ... allowed two runs on four hits and struck out nine batters to improve to 6-3 ... threw four innings at Long Beach State, allowing seven hits and four runs to fall to 6-4 on the season. 2003 NCAA Coral Gables Regional: Pitched six strong innings to pick up his seventh win of the season against Bethune-Cookman ... allowed seven hits and two runs, while striking out two. 2003 NCAA Coral Gables Super Regional: His spot in the rotation never came up as the Hurricanes closed out North Carolina State in two games. 2003 College World Series: Bongiovanni earned Miami's only win in the College World Series with a 7-5 decision over Southwest Missouri State...the tall right-hander pitched six of his strongest innings of the year, allowing nine hits and two runs (one earned), while striking out four and walking only one.

Freshman (2002)
Made 14 appearances in his first collegiate season, including four starts...made starts vs. Ball State, Elon, Long Beach State and North Carolina...had eight strikeouts vs. Elon and six at Florida State in back-to-back outings...had a 1.80 ERA over his last three outings (10.0 IP)...struck out four against Tennessee in his collegiate debut (2.2 IP) on Feb. 2...longest outing of the season was 5.1 innings vs. Elon where he took the loss giving up just two runs with eight strikeouts...lasted more than one inning in 13 of his 14 appearances. 2002 NCAA Gainesville Regional: His best outing of the season came against FIU in the opener going 5.0 innings with two hits, one earned run, two walks and four strikeouts...did not appear in the Super Regional.

Barrington High School
Coached by Jim Hawysko...four-year letterwinner...also was a two-year letterman on the basketball team...was also a pitcher and first baseman in American Legion play...holds his schools' strikeout record. Senior year, 2001: Was named to the All-State, All-Area and All-Conference teams...led the state in hitting...tossed 87 strikeouts in 68 innings...had an 18-strikeout performance in one game...batted .401 with 12 home runs and 47 RBI. Junior year, 2000: Threw one no-hitter and three one-hitters...had 11 home runs and 44 RBI. Sophomore year, 1999: Threw a no-hitter against Buffalo Grove in the state playoffs.

Personal
Born January 11, 1983...full name is Vincent P. Bongiovanni II...son of Carl and Valerie...has one sister, Alicia (21)...majoring in business...is a relative of the late New York Yankees great Joe DiMaggio.

Bongiovanni's Bests
Innings Pitched: 7.1 vs. The Citadel, 3/1/03
Hits: 9 vs. Southwest Missouri State, 6/16/03
Earned Runs: 6, vs. Florida International, 2/27/04
Walks: 5 (twice), last vs. Rutgers, 3/16/03
Strikeouts: 10 vs. Campbell, 2/6/03

Last edited:

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KLL said:
Round #22:

Maels Rodriguez
RHP
6'0
215 lbs.
No schools listed on any websites... let's see if I can find some thing on him.... First name is pronounced as Miles

From FL.... It's hilarious.. they have his B-Day listed as 10/15/05 on MLB.com draftcaster....

Intriguing pick if health issues can be addressed.

Wednesday, 1:58 PM: Arizona Gambles Continue
by J.J. Cooper

The Diamondbacks added to their list of high risk, high reward arms by drafting Cuban defector Maels Rodriguez with the first pick of the 22nd round. Rodriguez was once one of Cuba's top pitchers, with a fastball that was clocked at 100 mph in a game against Team USA in the 2000 Olympics, and he threw a perfect game during Cuba's Serie Nacional in 2002 . But back problems sapped his velocity, and a workout that was hoped to bring him a contract fizzled when he struggled to throw 87 mph. Rodriguez has kept a low profile since the 2004 workout while trying to get healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you nm132 for providing us with that info. Infact, they had his name misspelt on all the sites I'm referencing (that's why I edited your post due to how you quoted the innaccurate spelling, if you dont mind). Therefore, I've managed to come across quite a bit about him and will update everything soon.

Round #25:

David Williams

POS:
OF HT: 6-3
CLASS:
So. WT: 215
B/T: R/R
HS:
Pope John XXIII
HMTN:
Franklin, NJ
2004: Served as the team's primary backup outfielder in 2004, hitting .224 in 24 games… Began his collegiate career with a 2-for-6 effort, including a double, in RU's season opening win at William & Mary (2/20)… Hit a pinch-hit grand slam on 3/24 in win at FDU.

2003: Did not see game action for the Scarlet Knights.

Before Rutgers: Three-year varsity letterwinner in baseball… Was a first team all-league, all-county and all-area pick as a junior and senior… Named Third Team All-State (Parochial) as a junior… Also won two varsity letters in basketball as an All-Area and All-West Jersey performer… Played summer ball with the Franklin American League team in 2000 and 2001 and the New Jersey Twins in 2001 and 2002… Born 8/15/84.

Round #26:

BRIAN CHAVEZ

BRIAN CHAVEZ - INF

High School: Quartz Hill HS

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 180 lbs

Position: SS

Year: FR

B/T: R/R

Hopes to Transfer to: USC, ASU, Arizona, UCLA, Pepperdine

Awards/honors: Drafted by Seattle Mariners and alternate for the Junior Olympic team

Most Memorable personal moment in sports: "Undefeated in league and being drafted by the Seattle Mariners."

Favorite Professional Athlete: Nomar Garciaparra

Round #27: *Ironically wore #27 in college*

Matt Fowles

27 • Matt Fowles • P • 6-3 • 220 • Sr.-TR. • R/R • Fulton, Mo. (Fulton/Meramec CC/UAB)

Alabama-Birmingham: Had eight appearances and recorded one save in 5.1 innings ... also had eight strikeouts and only one walk.

Meramec Community College: Went 4-2 with three saves and a 2.84 ERA as a sophomore ... named the Region 16 Pitcher of the Year.

Fulton High School: A first team all-conference selection his junior and senior seasons ... went 6-1 with a 3.00 ERA as a senior ... as a sophomore, he went 5-1 and threw the second no-hitter in school history.

Personal: Major: general studies ... AFNI Honor Roll ... Parents: Ray and Sally Fowles ... Birthplace: Denver, Colo. ... Birthdate: June 3, 1983.

Brownlee on Fowles: “We’re really counting on Matt this year to help us on the mound. He’s been hurt the past couple of years, but he really seems to finally be healthy. He has great stuff and good experience and if he stays healthy, he could be starting games on the weekends for us late in the year.”

Last edited:
OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Round #28:

Norman Melendez

5'11
170 lbs
R/R
OF
Southeastern Community College

Round #29:

Trevor Pippin

1B
McIntosh HS (Georgia)

Pippin to play for Middle Georgia College

Trevor Pippin, a pitcher and first baseman for the McIntosh Chiefs varsity baseball team, recently signed a letter of intent to attend and play baseball for Middle Georgia College. Middle Georgia has been to the Junior College World Series 12 times, including three of the last four years. They have won the national championship four times.

Pippin has been a starter for the Chiefs for three years. he chose Middle Georgia because of their winning tradition and the fact that they have had over 140 players sign professional baseball contracts. Pippin is the son of Fred and Charlene Pippin of Peachtree City.

Round #30:

Reinaldo Alicano

Reinaldo Alicano #23
Seminole CC

Height 6'4''
Position Right Field
Hometown Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
High School Josetina Barcelo
High School Coach
Stats
Academic Year - -
Academic Major
Bats Right
Throws Right

Round #31:

Craig Heyer

RHP
Southern Nevada CC
11/15/85
6'3
195 lbs

Richard Obert
Scottsdale Republic
Apr. 5, 2004 12:00 AM

NORTHEAST VALLEY - Already, Craig Heyer has lost more games (four) than he did all of last season (three) when he was among the state's top pitchers.

But look deeper, and you'll see a 6-foot-3, 205-pound right-hander with an earned-run average below 1.00 and a desire to help his team win games, besides putting up personal records.

He is 3-4 heading into the week. Coronado is 11-5, 4-1 in East Sky.

But there is nobody else coach Buck Holmes would want on the hill in the biggest game than Heyer, a senior who, along with the other senior, catcher Louis Marson, get evaluated every game by major-league scouts.

"I think early-on, we didn't know how to play defense behind him," Holmes said. "The kids were tentative. Now, they're settling in."

The Dons, who were rained out Friday, play Arcadia and Mesa Desert Ridge in East Sky games.

Their strong start is a tribute to the job Holmes has done with a mostly inexperienced lineup. Only Marson and Heyer started on last year's team that lost to Chaparral in the 4A final.

Freshman Cody Fortney starts at second base, bats leadoff and gives the Dons help on the mound.

Heyer got a win in relief on Wednesday against Payson, which led 3-0 before the Dons rallied to win 8-7.

Heyer had three straight strikeouts.

"The first thing Louis said when he got back in the dugout was that (Heyer) was throwing harder (than he did the previous day in his start against Chaparral)," Holmes said.

Heyer has occasionally popped 90 mph fastballs but usually throws between 85 and 88, Holmes said.

Round #32:

Alvaro Rene Garcia

6'0
215 lbs
South Mountain CC

Rene Garcia
Jersey #: 25
Year: Freshman
Position: Pitcher (RHP)
High School: Sunnyside
Home Town: Tucson, AZ

Rene was a First Team All-State Pitcher at Sunnyside High School. He was drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the 20th Rd.

Round #33:

Joseph Paxson

6'3
R/R
C
7/28/86
Center Grove HS (IN)

Last edited:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, another superb job by Rizzo and Co. Getting Drew and Upton in the same week is incredible! :thumbup:

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Are there any 'signability' issues with Upton? I know his agent isn't Boras.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Round #34:

Kevin Hammons

I guess Hammons is on the right

SO 14 LHP L L 6’5 175 Jonesborough

Kevin Hammons Named Pitcher of the Week

Kevin Hammons of Cleveland State Community College was named pitcher of the week in the TJCCAA for his performance last Saturday at Roane State. The sophomore threw an eight inning complete game giving up 5 hits, 1 unearned run, and 5 strikeouts with no walks. Hammons has signed with Tusculum College for next season and is from Jonesborough, Tennessee

Two ClevelandState Cougar Pitchers Sign with Four-Year Schools

Two Cleveland State Cougar Baseball players, both members of the pitching staff, have committed to four-year schools during the early signing period announced Mike Policastro, Athletic Director and Baseball Coach.

Left-hander Kevin Hammons from Jonesboro, TN committed to Tusculum College in Greenville, TN and right-hander Dustin Blackwell from Acworth, GA will be throwing for Bethune-Cookman College in Daytona Beach, FL. The Tusculum Pioneers play in the South Atlantic Conference while Bethune-Cookman is in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.

Hammons who started for the Cougars last season was 3-5 with 67 strikeouts in 58 innings pitched. “Kevin has a tremendous amount of potential. He worked extremely hard and I’m happy that it paid off for him,” stated Policastro. Blackwell who transferred to the Cougars this fall from Jefferson Davis Junior College impressed the coaching staff with his ability. “Dustin had a very good fall. He shows command of three pitches and has excellent mound presence and game composure,” explained Policastro.

Coach Policastro commented, “We are happy that both Kevin and Dustin signed early. I have no doubt that they will be able to contribute to their respective programs immediately.”

Round #35:

Raymond Kruml

Indian Hills Community College

F OF Lisle, IL

Raymond Kruml, Indian Hills CC
G-31
AB-112
BA-.330
H-37
2B-9
3B-4
HR-3
RBI-17
SB-5

Round #36:

Jonathon Runnels

Position: Pitcher
Height: 5-10
Weight: 155
Profile: FR
Sam Rayburn High School
B/T:L
2/7/86

The lefty is expected to be a spot starter and pitch middle inning relief this season.

Round #37:

Scott Mueller

Scott Mueller
Jersey #: 14
Year: Freshman
Position: Pitcher (RHP)
High School: Greenway
Home Town: Phoenix, AZ

Scott was an All-State pitcher at Greenway High School. Scott was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in 2004.

Last edited:

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
NickelBack said:
Are there any 'signability' issues with Upton? I know his agent isn't Boras.

Actually I was quite surprised when I heard that he asked for 5.5 million..... We offered 4 and he countered with that.... much better than what we went through with Drew.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Round #38:

Thomas Calahan

Saddleback Community College
LHP

Round #39:

Dustin Renfrow

Jefferson College

22 6'2" 200 L-R C FR

West Plains
West Plains MO

Dustin Renfrow - #22

Freshman, Catcher, L/R, 6'2", 200 lbs
West Plains High School, Coach Greg Dixon

Baseball or Academic Achievements: All-Ozark Conference 2 yrs., All-District 2 yrs.

Personal: Son of Mike & Judy Renfrow
Major: Business
Favorite Professional Athlete: Scott Rolen

Round #40:

Eric Lawrence

Grand Rapids Community College

R, R

6'4"

18 y/p

FR

Grand Ledge

Round #41:

Cheyne Hann

San Jose City College

9/17/84

RHP

6'4

235 lbs.

Round #42:

Forrest Beverly

Forrest Beverly

Player Profile

Class:
Sophomore
Hometown:
Conway, S.C.
High School:
Conway

Height / Weight:
6-4 / 207
Position:
LHP
Bats/Throws:
R-L

2004 - Medical redshirt year. Pitched sparingly in fall practice, 3 1/3 innings with 2.70 ERA, walked 3, struck out 2. Should be ready for 2005 season. Above 3.0 GPA spring semester 2004.

2003 - Appeared in six games as a freshman with one start and worked 14 2/3 innings before an arm injury required Tommy John surgery ... Will take a medical redshirt in 2004 and is expected to return to action in 2005 ... Allowed 13 hits, walked nine and struck out 10 with an 0-2 record and 4.91 ERA before going on disabled list.

HIGH SCHOOL - Played four years at Conway High School where he compiled a 30-10 career record under Coach Rick Hardwick...Played with the South Carolina Diamond Devils AAU team under Coach Austin.

PERSONAL - Born Forrest Brakefield Beverly 3/3/84 at Conway ... Parents are Randy and Cathy Beverly ... Father attended Coastal Carolina University where he played basketball ... Mother attended Winthrop University ... Father works in real estate development ... Mother is a school teacher ... Has two older siblings, brother Allen and sister Rebecca ... Drafted in the 17th round of the 2002 free agent draft by the Chicago Cubs but chose Carolina over professional baseball ... Chose Carolina because it's a "good baseball school with good coaching" and because of family connections ... Hobbies are water sports ... Favorite food is steak.

Last edited:

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Just watching the scouting videos on some of the pitchers we got on the first day has gotten me to raise my eyebrows.

Owings was consistantly in the 90's with his pitches and had some good movement on them too.

Cupps has a curve that is just filthy, although he used it far too often in the clip I saw.

Bret Jacobson was the 9th rated high school player coming into this year by BA... Hopefully we can sign him, but I think he is probably going to vanderbilt. If we sign him it will be the steal of the draft.

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Actually I was quite surprised when I heard that he asked for 5.5 million..... We offered 4 and he countered with that.... much better than what we went through with Drew.

Who is the kid's agent?

I heard Joe Jr say last night, as soon as he is signed they are planning on assigning him to Missoula.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Jason Neighborgall, according to Rizzo, has maybe the best pure power arm anyone has seen lately, 95-100 mph, but 'unfortunately has a scary inability to find the plate with any consistency.' He said the guy could either become a true Ace or will be a total bust, but the potential was too great to bypass. They will 'turn him over to our development staff for a couple of years before we expect to see anything - we know he's a long term project, but we're fine with it.'

Brett Jacobsen was projected for the first round, but per Rizzo, he played Varsity basketball late into the winter, lost a fair amount of weight, and also some power and velocity. This worried many teams, plus he has a 4-year full ride to Vanderbilt so signability concerned them. DBacks 'will work with him unofficially this summer and see what happens - in a couple months we'll either aggressively try to sign him, or pack him off to Vanderbilt with our full blessing."

I love Mike Rizzo. They must extend his contract immediately.

BA thinks our first 4-5 picks were extremely good, btw. They said we've also taken 3 or 4 very high-risk, very high upside guys - Neighborgall, Duda, Rodriguez in particular. That's an interesting twist - wonder where it comes from - Rizzo being given more rein by the new guys? He said recently he was given more control over dealing with the Drew stuff than in the past, and appreciated the confidence and the experience. Or could the risky picks reflect Moorad's high-stakes style?

AZZenny

Reaction score
Harold Reynold's brother is his agent. Basically they went in saying they obviously need financial comparables to Drew, and have no interest in prolonged fiddling around with fine-print investment details - the kid wants to play pro ball as soon as possible.

On the other thread I mentioned BA says he wants a $5M with two-sport minor league contract, not a big league contract. I don't know quite what that means in this case. Upton is flying out here I guess this weekend. Hope we can play halfway decently when he's visiting, with decent attendance.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Harold Reynold's brother is his agent. Basically they went in saying they obviously need financial comparables to Drew, and have no interest in prolonged fiddling around with fine-print investment details - the kid wants to play pro ball as soon as possible.

On the other thread I mentioned BA says he wants a $5M with two-sport minor league contract, not a big league contract. I don't know quite what that means in this case. Upton is flying out here I guess this weekend. Hope we can play halfway decently when he's visiting, with decent attendance.

curious about the two-sport contract as well. The minor league deal is important though - keeps him off the 40-man.

AZZenny

Reaction score
From BA today:

Neighborgall is one of the most intriguing prospects in the draft. Scouts saw him hit 100 mph on the radar gun in the Cape Cod League last summer with a workable curveball and a plus changeup, but control issues plagued his 2005 college season. He was 5-3, 6.66 and struck out 71 in 53 innings at Tech, but walked 50, hit 12 and had 16 wild pitches, :eek:
opening the season as the No. 1 starter before falling out of the rotation. "We think we have a steal in the third round,” Rizzo said.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Round #43:

Eric Butler

P

R/R

6-4

So.

Morristown, Tenn./East HS

Round #44:

Thomas Peabody

RHP

Rancho Bernardo HS

5/20/87

6'3

205 lbs.

Round #45:

Drew Thomas

Neville HS (LA)

C

R/R

1/18/87

6'1

180 lbs.

Round #46:

Brandon Thomson

Profile:

* Class: FR

* Position: Pitcher

* Height: 5'11

* Weight: 185

* B/TH: L/L

* Hometown: Mesa, AZ

* High School: Gilbert

Awards: 2004-Connie Mack World Series All Tournament Team and was the Fiesta Region Pitcher of the Year

Personal: He was drafted in 2004 by the Padres in the 15th round and plans to play Professional Baseball. He enjoys playing baseball, wakeboarding, snowboarding, and extreme tubing on his free time

Last edited:

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Personally, I like having a guy that can throw 100mph but has hit a bunch of batters because of his lack of control. Granted, he'll need to eventually get his control but right now he sounds like a young Randy Johnson. One of the advantages Randy had was that batters were terrified of getting ear-holed with a 100mph fastball...tends to lead to lots of uncomfortable batters (see John Kruk) and lots of strikeouts...assuming you eventually CAN throw it over the plate. ;)

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
I remember last year there were videos of all the draftees for the first round on MLB.com, anyone know where they are, or any videos in general of First rounders

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Brandon_Webb said:
I remember last year there were videos of all the draftees for the first round on MLB.com, anyone know where they are, or any videos in general of First rounders

Click on draft central on MLB.com, go to draftecaster, and this lil window like a pop-up will appear and have all the videos. Only some players have video though.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Round #47:

Houston Summers

Northeast Guilford HS (NC)

C

R/R

8/20/87

5'10

180 lbs

Round #48:

Aaron Gamboa

CA

No School listed

LHP

L/L

8/26/82

6'1

175 lbs

Round #49:

Joseph Campbell

Wabash Valley College

9/25/85

RHP
/ IF

FR

Palatine, IL

L / R

6'3"

Round #50:

Ritchie Franklin

Thompson HS (AL)

8/07/86

SS

R/R

6'1

170 lbs.

Well... finally we've reached the conclusion of the '05 draft....

Actually, as economist say... the opportunity cost for me doing this was extremely low and the marginal utlity was very high......

I don't mind doing this whatsoever... AZZenny nailed it perfectly.... this is a wonderful organized way to be able to reference this thread over the years (assuming this site will be here permanently) and be able to keep track/chart the development of the Dbacks prospects starting from last year and of course including this year's.........

It will be intriguing to watch all their careers progress..what directions/routes they may take... most won't probably advance to the Majors obviously, but we'll be able to remember when it all began for the few who do manage.....

Several HS and Juco players were selected in later rounds, so naturally there was not much available regarding them, however, over the next few days or so I'm certain that their local newspapers or school websites will have articles/features regarding how they were drafted... I will google their names on a later date (perhaps during the wknd) and update their information....

I'm beyond mentally spent at the moment (been on here for nearly 8 hours straight), but it's certainly worthwhile.. Of course I know I wasnt obligated to do this, however, it is as AZZenny posted.. "a labor of love"..... It is quite enjoyable to do this and I look forward to doing this next year and beyond....

I will catch-up on the threads I need to respond back to in this forum and the other forums probably by tomorrow or as late as early next wk and will write my thoughts on this year's draft....

Again, it was fun doing this and I can't wait to see how the future unfolds with the Dbacks and their draft-choices....

CYA ON THE FLIPSIDE!!!!!!!!!