2011 NBA Draft- Day of Thread

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Oh good grief. I was having a fit before the draft. But once all the players I had interest in were off the board, this pick is no big deal. How were we going to develop Leanard. Even if he develops in SA, he wouldn't have here.

You put him in the starting lineup simple.

Hill, Pietrus, Dudley and Childress have no business starting for a team. The only reason we still start Hill is emotional attachment.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
not good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to get an impact lotto pick... in other words... exactly what we saw this season.

that... to me... as a Suns fan is HORRIBLE. There's a reason a phrase "No man's land" exists... it's because no one wants to be there and that's where we'll be for the near future.

Strange, given the disconnect on the other thread between us, but I mostly agree with you here...well, mostly. :)

I actually think horrible is worse...being a perpetual lottery team that never gets better, and celebrates a single first round playoff loss once every decade. However, being a mediocre playoff bubble team is pretty bad too.

I just disagree that the Suns are about to become that team year-over-year. They were last year, but I think with a few moves, they are a solid playoff team again. Not a contender, but a mid-level playoff team.

Who knows. That's why they play the games.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Yeah, it couldn't be for the phenomenal defense he played all year.

Do you ever make sense?

LOL! No kidding. Insert slin as GM for a day and we will have traded Gortat for capspace/2nd, guranteed Lopez a permanent starting role, and relegated Hill to the bench somewhere between Siler and Lawal....

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
Matt Self is right, once guys like Bismack were off the boards the Suns should've looked to get out of dodge. I still think that VCs expiring+Dudley+Lopez+#13 for Josh Smith would've been a heck of a deal for the Suns. If they would've taken Marcus instead of Morris it could still be pretty appealing to ATL as Marcus could potentially grow into a player similar to Smith (tweener forward). I still think you call ATL up and try to make that deal and send them Markieff, see if you can hold onto one of Dudley or Lopez of course, but if not, thats fine too.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
The #13 does not make that trade. VC/Dudley/Lopez for Smith is a great trade for both teams. The #13 is nothing but a filler.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
The #13 does not make that trade. VC/Dudley/Lopez for Smith is a great trade for both teams. The #13 is nothing but a filler.

You do realize that's $25M in salaries we'd be sending out? We'd have to take back a lot more than Josh Smith.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Yeah, it couldn't be for the phenomenal defense he played all year.

Do you ever make sense?

Tell me how it makes sense for a rebuilding team like us to start a 37 year old veteran at SF and play him major minutes. It makes no sense. The only reason we keep Grant around is emotional attachment and the wish to see him retire here.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me how it makes sense for a rebuilding team like us to start a 37 year old veteran at SF and play him major minutes. It makes no sense. The only reason we keep Grant around is emotional attachment and the wish to see him retire here.

What???

No...the reason the Suns play him and started him is because he one of our best defenders on the team. If he can play at the level he has been playing on the defensive end there is nothing wrong with playing him on a team that is RETOOLING.

This team is NOT rebuilding. If it was, you would see a roster purge that included Nash.

If this team was completely blown up and we were getting rid of Nash for example, I agree it makes no sense for Grant to be on this team. However, the Suns are NOT doing that. So, you play your best players at that position.

Personally, I would like the Suns to test to see if it's time for Dudley to take over at the SF spot. I think it's time to give him a shot at his natural position instead of forcing him into the SG spot. That still doesn't mean you get rid of Hill who has been effective since this team is NOT rebuilding but retooling.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
and talent wise I have (I believe) #20 - so I don't hate the guy or his talent but he reminds of Danny Fortson... I go back and forth with him, my dad had a talk with me and said the Suns were at their best with Truck Robinson, Maurice Lucas (two players I have never seen), and Barkley - enforcer types. I've never liked that kind of player but I'm hoping he'll be a top 6 defender in Draft - Chris Singleton would've been my choice (top defender) and followed by Iman Shumpert.

Believe me, you like that kind of guy when he's on your team.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Agreed. Hill is playing remarkable, but he is somewhat stunting the growth and development of Dudley and Childress. I'm hoping he decides to sign with a title contender, a move that could push Nash to ask for a trade.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The only reason we keep Grant around is emotional attachment and the wish to see him retire here.

Actually, no, the reason to start him is that he's the best SF on the team, and intentionally shooting yourself in the foot by trying to lose is going to alienate the players and the fans alike. Whether it makes sense to keep Hill on the roster is an open question -- but if he's on the roster, and one of your best players, you use him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, no, the reason to start him is that he's the best SF on the team, and intentionally shooting yourself in the foot by trying to lose is going to alienate the players and the fans alike. Whether it makes sense to keep Hill on the roster is an open question -- but if he's on the roster, and one of your best players, you use him.

So true. Hill not only gives the Suns defense but offense as well. IMO, the Suns should be focusing on moving some players like Warrick, Childress, Pietrus, Lopez and perhaps even Brooks for players that fit the roster better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also just wanted to note the Rockets acquired Flynn even after acquiring Dragic last season. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if Dragic is threatening to go back to Europe. Getting Flynn, (a Brooks type player) doesn't make sense exactly.