2003 Schedule

Reaction score
Good response kerouac,

I agree with most of your list but sorry, I don't see "Personality Coach". I mean Reid <sp> is a good solid head coach, but from a viewer's perspective what's interesting about him?

I believe that you hit it on the head with reason #2. All of the teams with numerous appearances have fielded consistently competitive teams for several years or more!

It seems that St. Louis, with only three appearances is/has fallen out of favor.

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by CardLogic

Anybody have a clue as to how they really determine these schedules?? Why is Philly given so many?

It's mostly based on TV ratings and winning from what I read in the past. Whichever teams have drawn the most viewers in the recent past or are perceived to draw the most TV viewers in the upcoming season are the ones that are usually scheduled in the primetime games. Dallas had a losing season, but is still a big draw and the "Tuna" curiosity probably figures to up the viewers whether you hope he wins or loses. I am surprised though that Philly has that many primetime games. I guess McNabb is a bigger draw than I thought. I kind of wish they'd rotate the Thanksgiving day games with every team like a few owners wanted. That would make it more fair instead of the traditional Lions or Dallas games.

Last edited:

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by Houdini
It's mostly based on TV ratings and winning from what I read in the past. Whichever teams have drawn the most viewers in the recent past or are perceived to draw the most TV viewers in the upcoming season are the ones that are usually scheduled in the primetime games. Dallas had a losing season, but is still a big draw and the "Tuna" curiosity probably figures to up the viewers whether you hope he wins or loses. I am surprised though that Philly has that many primetime games. I guess McNabb is a bigger draw than I thought. I kind of wish they'd rotate the Thanksgiving day games with every team like a few owners wanted. That would make it more fair instead of the traditional Lions or Dallas games.

blah, blah, blah. Get lost.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Open against the Lions, no national games; it's a wonder we're scheduled to play on Sundays. Let's face it, we have a long way to go before anyone outside this board respects us.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by RonF
Open against the Lions, no national games; it's a wonder we're scheduled to play on Sundays. Let's face it, we have a long way to go before anyone outside this board respects us.

I agree, the Cards get no respect at all. No Monday night games, no Sunday night games and worst of all a stretch in November where they play 4 of 5 weeks on the road. That stinks.

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
Shock & Awe

Originally posted by Duckjake
I agree, the Cards get no respect at all. No Monday night games, no Sunday night games and worst of all a stretch in November where they play 4 of 5 weeks on the road. That stinks.

I see us 6-0 or 5-1 at the bye, sweeping the 3 consecutive home games in Oct-Nov (Ravens -Blakes former team, 49ers after bye and Bengles) to be 9-0 or 8-1. With homes games against Panthers and very nice for a change final week home game against the miserable Vikings for at least 10-11 wins. Come on guys the NFL bent over backwards to give us the most enviable schedule we've had since moving to the desert. Bitch, bitch, bitch. If we're on our way to a perfect season in week 11, I'm sure the networks will find some way to gives us a little national exposure.

OP
OP
WizardOfAz

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That would make it more fair instead of the traditional Lions or Dallas games.

You answered your own question, tradition......that's why the NFL will never change it. Lamar Hunt trys every couple of years and gets almost no support.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree, the Cards get no respect at all.
1. It pays to be a winner.

2. The real killer in all this is that (aided and abetted by local media who led today's sports pages with "Cards Won't be on National TV") prospective free agents - particularly those who want exposure on national TV - have one more excuse not to come here.

3. One more time: It pays to be a winner - Seals BUD Training Motto

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by WizardOfAz
You answered your own question, tradition......that's why the NFL will never change it. Lamar Hunt trys every couple of years and gets almost no support.

I wouldn't say never. You could be right, but the almighty dollar has a way of changing people's minds over time. Traditions often change if more money can be made.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I wouldn't say never. You could be right, but the almighty dollar has a way of changing people's minds over time. Traditions often change if more money can be made.

Water flows uphill with money.

Sorry, back to the discussion....

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Re: Shock & Awe

Originally posted by Redmark
I see us 6-0 or 5-1 at the bye, sweeping the 3 consecutive home games in Oct-Nov (Ravens -Blakes former team, 49ers after bye and Bengles) to be 9-0 or 8-1. With homes games against Panthers and very nice for a change final week home game against the miserable Vikings for at least 10-11 wins. Come on guys the NFL bent over backwards to give us the most enviable schedule we've had since moving to the desert. Bitch, bitch, bitch. If we're on our way to a perfect season in week 11, I'm sure the networks will find some way to gives us a little national exposure.

If the Cards are on their way to a perfect season in week 11 there will be snow balls in hades.

Nothing like 4 road games in 5 weeks to potentially kill any early season momentum. And unless the Cards are headed for the playoffs the December games against Carolina and Minnesota will be played before the players parents and 26 posters from ASFN.
As most people in Arizona will have forgotten they still have a team. The only thing the NFL bent over was the Cardinals.

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
Water flows uphill with money.

Sorry, back to the discussion....

That's pretty good. Now for extra credit, give me a saying where beer flows ;)

OP
OP
WizardOfAz

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wouldn't say never.

Never.

I find it really hard to believe that the NFL hasn't explored every opportunity to make as much money as possible. The really smart ones in this whole thing is the Cowboys who picked up that second TV game....that opportunity was out there for all the others who passed on it at the time.

Never

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by WizardOfAz
Never.

I find it really hard to believe that the NFL hasn't explored every opportunity to make as much money as possible. The really smart ones in this whole thing is the Cowboys who picked up that second TV game....that opportunity was out there for all the others who passed on it at the time.

Never

Owners voted down the rotation of the Thanksgiving games, but the scheduling is within the commissioner's purview. It's my understanding he could change it without the vote of the owners. What makes you so sure that no commissioner after Paul Tagliabue retires will ever change it? All it takes is one commissioner to agree with NFL owners Hunt or Benson who wanted it changed. Look at all the traditions baseball broke with a new commissioner. Interleague play, expanded playoffs, more divisions, etc, All to get more money.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
This may sound weird -but I think the season rests solely on one game - Green Bay - it could be a statement game just like the Niners game was supposed to be last year. We could start off with a couple wins and going 3-0 and beating the Packers would give Mac and his squad the feeling that they do belong - and that kind of attitude will win you road games against bad teams that you would lose otherwise solely becasue it was a road game.

It is funny you are saying this because when the opponents were first announced, I stated that the GB game was maybe the most important game for the Cards on a couple levels. First, GB (or maybe better put...Favre) are media darlings and they get alot of coverage. A win, especially a convincing win, would put the Cards on the map.

Second, this is just the kind of game the Cards roll over and die virtually every year...like 11 pointed out. This is a chance to turn that pattern around.

Third, it will be a sellout...mostly of GB fans and anytime the Cards can get on local TV is good but a win there, I believe, would bring out some of the bandwagon fans (I know most of you hate them but they are necessary) and it may convince some of the local GB contingent to follow the Cards more closely. This is critical because it can fill the stadiums...full stadiums and winning take us to the national TV thread...