15 thoughts - Panthers game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – Disappointments is a strange thing, right? I haven’t been that disappointed with the first two games because of how they unfolded, but this one I am extremely disappointed with. The entire week I really thought they would win. Those damn expectations.

2 – First time we really got to see Kyler Murray use his legs. No, it wasn’t successful, but it does add another dimension to the offense, and thus another thing the opponent has to account for.

3 – I’m pretty sure there is no offensive coordinator, and there never has been any offensive coordinator, that could make their quarterback, Kyle Allen, look that good, but the Cards’ defense could. That is also a kind of achievement.

4 – Bad special teams blocking once again. Do something, Jeff Rodgers!

5 – “Thank you” does not cover my feelings that the network put Dan Hellie and Brady Quinn out there as the broadcasters instead of what they has fielded for years. Cross my fingers that they continue.

6 – Get the Redskins on the phone now! Trent Williams would look great on this offensive line.

I’m sorry that I forgot who said it on this board, but it is true that for some reason, offensive line-units seems to get better if there is at least one – preferable two – really good players on it. I have never quite understood the dynamic, but for example the right tackle plays better if the left tackle is a great player, and so on.

7 – I think the offense could use a speedster at wide receiver. I am obviously not giving up on Andy Isabella, but the fact is that right now he does not give them anything. Byrd can do it, but I don’t think he is irreplaceable. The Dolphins sells anything with a pulse. Albert Wilson? Jakeem Grant? I like both in Kingsbury’s offense.

8 – Why do the opponents offensive coordinator ever call anything other than a pass to their tight end? Surefire catch and gain every single time.

9 – Have we ever seen the Cards run that many successful screens? I’m pretty sure we haven’t.

10 – Until the 4th quarter, well done fans at the stadium! I was very impressed.

11 – I don’t know why they occasionally substituted Justin Murray and Jordan Miles at right tackle, but I am not a fan. Improve the consistency!

12 – At what point do you start to question if David Johnson really is that good? He hasn’t shown much since his rookie year. Yes yes, I know there are many possible mitigating explanations, but no matter how you cut it, are you good if you never produce?

13 – After the first interception did you see Kyler Murray tackle the ballcarrier? Text book tackle.

14 – Seem to me like Kliff Kingsbury is tuning in playcalling-wise. One way in one game, another in another, and third in a third. I like it. Get it right.

15 – Haason Reddick’s snaps has gone up in every of the three games, and last night he played every single one. I find that intriguing. Of course, you could point to the run game as a counter argument, but that wasn’t exactly great without him either.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
7 – I think the offense could use a speedster at wide receiver. I am obviously not giving up on Andy Isabella, but the fact is that right now he does not give them anything. Byrd can do it, but I don’t think he is irreplaceable. The Dolphins sells anything with a pulse. Albert Wilson? Jakeem Grant? I like both in Kingsbury’s offense.

Maybe this has become more relevant with the release of Crabtree. Who knows, but I would think they would add another receiver.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Was there an injury or something to Justin Murray on the OL? He went from playing every snap the first two games to only being in for 21% against Carolina.

Also, Crabtree was only in on 13% of the offensive snaps, down from the previous week. I guess it shouldn't really be much of a surprise that he was released.

I don't know when it occurred, but it appears Isabella was on the field for one play. At this point, I'm chalking it up to a clerical error and Maxx Williams 87 looked a lot like Andy's 89 on the camera angle.

I remember the broadcasters mentioning that Corey Peters was slow to get up early in the game. Given our porous Run Defensive effort, I assumed he missed substantial time. Unfortunately, it appears he was on the field for 89% of Defensive snaps, which is one of the highest percentage he's been used. To me, that is the biggest surprise of this game. He is usually pretty stout in there.

As you mentioned, Hassan Reddick was on the field for all 63 defensive plays. He's not going to shut up his detractors by being on the field a majority of the time during our worst defensive effort this season. I know he had his name called a couple of times, but with 63 plays... it's kinda bound to happen. Let's pick it up big guy.

Anyone know why Joe Walker was seemingly benched? He'd been playing 40% of the snaps on D during the first two games, but nothing against Carolina. Relegated to only Special Teams.

Lastly, I don't remember seeing him on the field, but LB Cassius Marsh has been steadily increasing his playing time. For whatever reason, coaches seem to like him.

Go Cards!!!

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As you mentioned, Hassan Reddick was on the field for all 63 defensive plays. He's not going to shut up his detractors by being on the field a majority of the time during our worst defensive effort this season. I know he had his name called a couple of times, but with 63 plays... it's kinda bound to happen. Let's pick it up big guy.

I remember Reddick making a great play in coverage. Both he and Hicks can play in coverage, and I am sure that is the only reason they are out there together in nickel packages.

Lastly, I don't remember seeing him on the field, but LB Cassius Marsh has been steadily increasing his playing time. For whatever reason, coaches seem to like him.

Go Cards!!!

I saw him. Apparently Suggs cannot play every snap.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose