10 thoughts - Vikings game

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I actually thought Jones was pretty good at RG, I saw at least 2 plays where he made a really nice kickout block going left on a run.

I did not notice that sequence, Russ, but I am happy to hear about it, because all three preseason games, and the two in the regular season, I have not been impressed with his play at guard. I want him to do good, since he is a fairly high draft pick, but I just don’t see it yet. But of course, he is new to the position, so he could certainly be better in time.

And yes, Winters was horrible.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It’s not as though he’s expensive and he’s already on pace to beat what Fitz gave us last year at half the cost. Jmo

Yes, you are of course correct, Shane. The contract is not expensive, and especially since Rondale Moore and, to a lesser extent, Kirk has made a difference with the offense, production from Green simply matters less. I guess I am also affected by how the media basically said he would have an All-Pro season, so maybe it is more disappointment from me than anything. :)

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wasn't Kirkpatrick a hot head penalty machine? I think I'm remembering the right player

I don’t think so. He certainly drew some flags, but I think that was more because he battled hard with his opponents all the time, and sometimes that cost a penalty. I actually thought it was fun to watch Kirkpatrick, but then again, he was not the #1 outside cornerback.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not really. Not for a veteran receiver who can still make some plays on his own.

Its not like he's Jordan Philips making 11 million per and not playing.
Yeah rather than compare him to a total garbage contract I looked at similar compensated wrs for 2021 and I guess it’s in line with those salaries. Still I wish we had a GM that got more bang for the buck instead of just being relieved the contract isn’t awful.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AJ was not that bad and it takes time for a new guy to gel with a QB, even a vet... and Talib was not bad but the other guy was a total scatterbrain constantly citing the wrong team on field of possession and mismatching guys from the teams to make a point

And the two times on plays where players were CLEARLY stopped well short he says "I DON'T KNOW" like it was close to him getting it.

I'll always have a soft spot for Gus for that call in the UCLA comeback over Gonzaga in the NCAA tourney, "UCLA has climbed the mountain" after the steal and layup to win the game. I guess the Zags got their revenge last year at the buzzer. But Gus is just not that good in the NFL stuff and honestly he's gotten stale in college hoops too.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
And the two times on plays where players were CLEARLY stopped well short he says "I DON'T KNOW" like it was close to him getting it.

I'll always have a soft spot for Gus for that call in the UCLA comeback over Gonzaga in the NCAA tourney, "UCLA has climbed the mountain" after the steal and layup to win the game. I guess the Zags got their revenge last year at the buzzer. But Gus is just not that good in the NFL stuff and honestly he's gotten stale in college hoops too.
Then there was that time I believe he called DeAndre Hopkins, 'David' Hopkins lol

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah rather than compare him to a total garbage contract I looked at similar compensated wrs for 2021 and I guess it’s in line with those salaries. Still I wish we had a GM that got more bang for the buck instead of just being relieved the contract isn’t awful.
I mean, just a few weeks ago you were talking about Curtis Samuel who is now on IR and hasnt run since May. Quite a few posters wanted him and he got like what? 14 mil per?

One reason I get annoyed with people who keep bringing up "question marks" is that almost every move is a question mark. If the Cardinals had signed Samuel, many would have lauded the move and at this point in time, in reality, AJ Green is better because AJ Green is playing.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, just a few weeks ago you were talking about Curtis Samuel who is now on IR and hasnt run since May. Quite a few posters wanted him and he got like what? 14 mil per?

One reason I get annoyed with people who keep bringing up "question marks" is that almost every move is a question mark. If the Cardinals had signed Samuel, many would have lauded the move and at this point in time, in reality, AJ Green is better because AJ Green is playing.
and I never got the whole Samuel thing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Isabella is active too, so he’s better? I think that’s a poor argument in support of Green.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I honestly forgot Phillip's was on the team
I’m incredibly skeptical of him, but this d is tailor made for him. Jones and watt occupying blockers frees him up to be disruptive on the interior like in Buffalo the year he played with a talented front 7. Problem is, he’s not on the field. Hope we see something from him upon his return.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Being available is always better than not available.

Samuel hasn't taken even a preseason or training camp snap with the Washington Football Team.
It’s two games into a season. Might want to see how this plays out before you start crowing about Green over Samuel.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Only two games, Green should get more targets as we go along. Not worried right now and would rather have him than Invisabella out there

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m incredibly skeptical of him, but this d is tailor made for him. Jones and watt occupying blockers frees him up to be disruptive on the interior like in Buffalo the year he played with a talented front 7. Problem is, he’s not on the field. Hope we see something from him upon his return.

I agree, Ouchie, but haven’t we basically given up on him (and by "we" I mean the fans)? At least I have stopped thinking much about him, or for that matter hoping for what he can bring.

I remember some days ago where someone on this board advocated for trading for defensive tackle Quinnen Williams from the Jets. I don’t see any reason why the Jets would do that, but the point is that I do think a dominant defensive tackle would do wonders for the defense. I like Rashad Lawrence, Corey Peters and Leki Fotu, but I think they can be upgraded (at least right now. Maybe their future will be great). Thus, if Jordan Phillips would in fact produce on the field, that would be huge.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It’s two games into a season. Might want to see how this plays out before you start crowing about Green over Samuel.
Not "crowing" just pointing out how often these free agents don't work out and how often even the best perceived moves turn out to be the wrong one. Samuel hasn't practiced with the Washington Team in a really long time, so he probably won't play until midseason at the earliest...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not "crowing" just pointing out how often these free agents don't work out and how often even the best perceived moves turn out to be the wrong one. Samuel hasn't practiced with the Washington Team in a really long time, so he probably won't play until midseason at the earliest...
It’s also a longer term signing given the disparity in ages. If Samuel does hit it’s big upside for Washington. But the other side is if Green doesn’t hit it’s a short issue given his contract. We have a long ways to go before we have any idea which was the better course.