10 thoughts - Rams game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 - ........

2 – It is of course mightily stupid to say that the game did not leave me deeply depressed, but what I mean is that Budda Baker’s situation was and is more important to me. Interpreting that as undervaluing the game would be wrong.

3 – The stats clearly back up that Kyler Murray has taken a step forward from last year to this year, but it is, unfortunately, remarkable how quick he has fallen late in the season. All his supporting cast is definitely at fault for much of it, but still, from bonafide superstar to disappointment in what? Two months?

4 – Even the special teams were horrible. That should have been the savior with embarrassing offense and defense, but no, even they failed for once.

5 – Has the Rams become an equal rival to the Niners, Gandhi? You know, I think they might just have. In an absurd way, I find it kind of fascinating that it is even possible to get to that level, but the bottom line is that I find them absolutely repulsive.

6 – Steve Keim is very good at strengthening the team through free agency, and the Rams are a prime example that it is a sustainable formula. But, it cannot stand alone. Yes, you can get very far when the salary cap is a circus tool, but you must add through the draft as well. You simply cannot get the required amount of firepower through trades and free agents as many of the best available players will choose other address’. Thus, Keim is good, but not good enough.

7 – Cooper Kupp was held to 61 receiving yards. That’s impressive. Four times this season did the defense allow a receiver to go for more than 100 receiving yards (and two times it was exactly 101 yards). That’s pretty good.

8 – It was unfair to dream that a man, who have recovered lighting quick from an exploded arm, would come in and transform the defense. I understand that now.

9 – In other news, Panthers’-owner, David Tepper, has told head coach, Matt Rhule, that his job depends on that he hires a “rockstar” offensive coordinator. Think back to when he was hired. Who is more rockstar as solely a coordinator than Kliff Kingsbury?

Could they explore the possibility? Would it be the recipe for a happy divorce?

How would I know?

10 – The NFL branded this weekend as “Super Wildcard Weekend.” Three out of six games were complete blowouts. Not exactly a “super” product.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1 - ........

2 – It is of course mightily stupid to say that the game did not leave me deeply depressed, but what I mean is that Budda Baker’s situation was and is more important to me. Interpreting that as undervaluing the game would be wrong.

3 – The stats clearly back up that Kyler Murray has taken a step forward from last year to this year, but it is, unfortunately, remarkable how quick he has fallen late in the season. All his supporting cast is definitely at fault for much of it, but still, from bonafide superstar to disappointment in what? Two months?

4 – Even the special teams were horrible. That should have been the savior with embarrassing offense and defense, but no, even they failed for once.

5 – Has the Rams become an equal rival to the Niners, Gandhi? You know, I think they might just have. In an absurd way, I find it kind of fascinating that it is even possible to get to that level, but the bottom line is that I find them absolutely repulsive.

6 – Steve Keim is very good at strengthening the team through free agency, and the Rams are a prime example that it is a sustainable formula. But, it cannot stand alone. Yes, you can get very far when the salary cap is a circus tool, but you must add through the draft as well. You simply cannot get the required amount of firepower through trades and free agents as many of the best available players will choose other address’. Thus, Keim is good, but not good enough.

7 – Cooper Kupp was held to 61 receiving yards. That’s impressive. Four times this season did the defense allow a receiver to go for more than 100 receiving yards (and two times it was exactly 101 yards). That’s pretty good.

8 – It was unfair to dream that a man, who have recovered lighting quick from an exploded arm, would come in and transform the defense. I understand that now.

9 – In other news, Panthers’-owner, David Tepper, has told head coach, Matt Rhule, that his job depends on that he hires a “rockstar” offensive coordinator. Think back to when he was hired. Who is more rockstar as solely a coordinator than Kliff Kingsbury?

How would I know?

10 – The NFL branded this weekend as “Super Wildcard Weekend.” Three out of six games were complete blowouts. Not exactly a “super” product.
3. Kyler took a step forward stats wise but took too many sit downs in the fetal position for sacks. He has major flaws that need to be corrected, some of it is coaching & some of it is on him. His height imo will be a problem for as long as he's our QB, that part is what it is until either him or our coach figures out things to do to help that. Playing him under center & rolling him out would be a good start. I don't think our OL is all that great, especially at guard. It's not the fault of the OL that Kyler can't see things develop or come open when they do.

5. I never pull for the Rams, I hope Mcvay loses every game.

7. Yes, Kupp had 61 yards receiving but how many of the Rams receivers not named Kupp were wide open on most every play? I just don't think VJ is the DC we need. Even if we had a DL like the 49ers who could get a solid rush with just 4 could his scheme stop the run. It's been a problem everywhere he's coached. Dolphin & Bronco fans wouldn't trade a roll of toilet paper to us to get him back lol. I'd love to see us get Vic Fangio as our DC, he's available & I wouldn't think we would ever worry about losing him other than when he retires. He finally got his HC shot & failed miserably.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All these good, salient points aside, here’s my beef (and the source of my confusion from Monday’s no show, beat down): I cannot in any way whatsoever imagine why, but it appeared that the Cards did not conduct any game planning whatsoever prior to kickoff. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

How the above can occur or even the appearance of the above can occur at such a high level of competition is astonishing. This is why I believe many of us are thinking that, despite increasing win totals each season, Kliff & Co. need to go. Now.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All these good, salient points aside, here’s my beef (and the source of my confusion from Monday’s no show, beat down): I cannot in any way whatsoever imagine why, but it appeared that the Cards did not conduct any game planning whatsoever prior to kickoff. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

How the above can occur or even the appearance of the above can occur at such a high level of competition is astonishing. This is why I believe many of us are thinking that, despite increasing win totals each season, Kliff & Co. need to go. Now.
I will say he looks clueless at times, against the Rams on Monday may have even been worse than Detroit as stupid as that sounds. Winning 11 games bought him another year but after the way they looked totally unprepared on Monday I did question him being our HC. I think VJ needs to go, either his scheme is too complicated or he just doesn't have a clue or both? Even his blitzes got very vanilla, no twists, stunts or delays, just straight after the QB. Even an average OL that will watch film can figure out how to stop the blitzes VJ ran on Monday & even before.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks ghandi . I can live with a playoff loss but going 1-6 over the last 7 games and adding the embarrassing playoff game has shattered all of our beliefs and trust that we are truly an 11-6 team.
We will get the same oft injured, coming off a down year, one year contract free agents.
Our horrendous drafts have left Keim totally dependent on trades and free agents that destroy you salary cap. We need TWO Wr even though we drafted two in the last two years. Our linebacking core is a disaster even though we have used two first round picks that can’t get on the field.
Fool me once shame on you. Fool me for 50 years, we’ll I’m an idiot. I hope the dark side will welcome me back.

Last edited:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
1 - ........

How would I know?

1. Hard to argue with
2. Baker will be fine
3. Reminds me of the old adage of a drunk using a lamppost more for support than illumination. Stats as deceptive as number of wins.
4. Kicking game was solid. Return game should cost somebody a job
5 A 9-1 record is not indicative of a rivalry. The Cards have a long way to go to rival the Rams. Right now the Rams own the Cards.
6. 100% on the money
7. Sorry but I can’t give props to a strategy that stops one player and allows all others to flourish. Limit Kupp with intermittent safety help, but don’t let second rate talent beat you. Blitz!
8. 100% agree
9. Only works if head coach accepts the strategy. I don’t think Kingsbury’s ego permits unfettered job by an OC or a power QB coach. Kingsbury was hired for his offensive credentials. If those aren’t valid why keep him?
10. I enjoyed it. You could say the same about the Super Bowls.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Thanks grandi. I can live with a playoff loss but going 1-6 over the last 7 games and adding the embarrassing playoff game has shattered all of our beliefs and trust that we are truly an 11-6 team.
We will get the same oft injured, coming off a down year, one year contract free agents.
Our horrendous drafts have left Keim totally dependent on trades and free agents that destroy you salary cap. We need TWO Wr even though we drafted two in the last two years. Our linebacking core is a disaster even though we have used two first round picks that can’t get on the field.
Fool me once shame on you. Fool me for 50 years, we’ll I’m an idiot. I hope the dark side will welcome me back.
Maybe I'm wrong but time will tell about Collins & Simmons. I really think a good DC could get the most out of both of them. People can talk all they want about VJ being a good DC, he's missing this & that yada yada yada, I just don't see it. A good DC can at least take away something, the VJ defense doesn't take away anything. Can't stop the run or the pass, our CB's look lost our there, sure we could use more talent there but Murphy & Wilson are decent enough they should be able to not give so much cushion. KK said yesterday that the roster & coaching staff are already being evaluated, well, he needs to look in the mirror first, once he figures himself out, then figure out what to do about the defense, it sucks. There's no excuse for what we witnessed on both sides of the ball Monday. I'm tired of his 10 personnel sets, being afraid to put Kyler under center, getting gashed in the running game & soft ass zone that VJ runs. Our schedule in 2022 is way harder than 2021 so right now I'm not too optimistic about anything with this team.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong but time will tell about Collins & Simmons. I really think a good DC could get the most out of both of them. People can talk all they want about VJ being a good DC, he's missing this & that yada yada yada, I just don't see it. A good DC can at least take away something, the VJ defense doesn't take away anything. Can't stop the run or the pass, our CB's look lost our there, sure we could use more talent there but Murphy & Wilson are decent enough they should be able to not give so much cushion. KK said yesterday that the roster & coaching staff are already being evaluated, well, he needs to look in the mirror first, once he figures himself out, then figure out what to do about the defense, it sucks. There's no excuse for what we witnessed on both sides of the ball Monday. I'm tired of his 10 personnel sets, being afraid to put Kyler under center, getting gashed in the running game & soft ass zone that VJ runs. Our schedule in 2022 is way harder than 2021 so right now I'm not too optimistic about anything with this team.
With today’s salary cap you have to pick your poison. Average cb’s or great pass rush. Can’t have both unless you REALLY knock it out of the park with draft…. So forget that idea. If you can’t rush the passer. You better be GREAT at stopping the rush.
Against us our opponent can pretty much do whatever they want. We blitz( which is the only way we get to their Qb) the throw it. We come up to stop the run they throw it. The only way succeed on defence is an occasional “ guessed right” play.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thanks ghandi . I can live with a playoff loss but going 1-6 over the last 7 games and adding the embarrassing playoff game has shattered all of our beliefs and trust that we are truly an 11-6 team.
Slanidrac, I saw a very sad tweet yesterday.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't know what it is. My first thought is that it start to go bad when the other teams have enough film on Kingsbury's teams, which would then also prove that he, and the rest of the coaching staff, cannot adjust well enough to continue to be the best. But whatever it is, he cannot get the teams ready to play well enough, and since that is basically the job description of a head coach, I think the conclusion is obvious.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
5 A 9-1 record is not indicative of a rivalry. The Cards have a long way to go to rival the Rams. Right now the Rams own the Cards.
Yes, Harry, I agree, but I did not mean a classic rivalry in everyone's eyes, but rather that the Rams have become as repellent to me as the Niners are. :)

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Kliff isn’t a bad coach he’s just a coordinator. While most coaches would like a QB of Kyler’s talent Kliff is somewhat hamstrung with a QB that doesn’t embrace the grind. We want him to coach “tougher” but that may push an enigma like Murray away... Like star player in the NBA who’s team walks on eggshells around him, Kyler has this franchise by the balls.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kliff isn’t a bad coach he’s just a coordinator. While most coaches would like a QB of Kyler’s talent Kliff is somewhat hamstrung with a QB that doesn’t embrace the grind. We want him to coach “tougher” but that may push an enigma like Murray away... Like star player in the NBA who’s team walks on eggshells around him, Kyler has this franchise by the balls.
I heard a radio guy ask the question if Kyler Murray was in the right system. The premise of his thought process was that Murray is extremely talented, and it was an attempt to find a reason for his bad play. Maybe he is right.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You are home my brother . . .

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
C'mon Ghandi, NO ONE is as bad as a Niner. That's science.

You must be registered for see images attach
Now that's just too damn funny but I don't like your team much right now either lol. Just wish our play caller had a clue on how to attack a defense & our DC had a clue about anything lol.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

is a Rams fan, who's franchise has one title and recently has a team has been a perennial playoff dud and Cardinals fans, who have only sniffed a chip once in franchise existence, really laughing at the Niners... a franchise that's won 5 SUPER BOWLS, have been in the Super Bowl more recently than either of our teams and is still in the playoffs right now?

that's really weird.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Slanidrac, I saw a very sad tweet yesterday.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't know what it is. My first thought is that it start to go bad when the other teams have enough film on Kingsbury's teams, which would then also prove that he, and the rest of the coaching staff, cannot adjust well enough to continue to be the best. But whatever it is, he cannot get the teams ready to play well enough, and since that is basically the job description of a head coach, I think the conclusion is obvious.
Sorry that I could not get the Twitter image working. I don't know how to do it. I have tried to copy it as a photo now, and I hope that works better.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

That's a great picture, LR. :D Well, my dislike of the Rams certainly is mostly because the Cards seemingly cannot beat them (yes yes, I do remember early this season), but also because the national media constantly talks about how amazing McVay is and how perfect the team is build. Basically, like the national narrative is about the Niners. When the team was in St. Louis I did not have a strong opinion about them. :)

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
is a Rams fan, who's franchise has one title and recently has a team has been a perennial playoff dud and Cardinals fans, who have only sniffed a chip once in franchise existence, really laughing at the Niners... a franchise that's won 5 SUPER BOWLS, have been in the Super Bowl more recently than either of our teams and is still in the playoffs right now?

that's really weird.
Not really. The last time they won one was before many here were born. I hate their guts because we've been rivals since 1950 and recently they've had our number, so I will mock them unmercifully when they fail. If you want to revere the Montana/Young years, you go right ahead.

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
That's a great picture, LR. :D Well, my dislike of the Rams certainly is mostly because the Cards seemingly cannot beat them (yes yes, I do remember early this season), but also because the national media constantly talks about how amazing McVay is and how perfect the team is build. Basically, like the national narrative is about the Niners. When the team was in St. Louis I did not have a strong opinion about them. :)
I kind of wish they would talk about McVay less in the media, because our assistant coaches get raided every year. We've had 3 different defensive coordinators in three years. Both our OC and DC have been interviewed for HC positions this year and it worries me that they are getting distracted from preparing for the Brady Bucs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not really. The last time they won one was before many here were born. I hate their guts because we've been rivals since 1950 and recently they've had our number, so I will mock them unmercifully when they fail. If you want to revere the Montana/Young years, you go right ahead.

Lol at a guy disparaging the niners super bowl being a long time ago when it’s been over two decades since the Rams won one.

Your’s is older!

No your’s is older!!!

Lol.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson