#1 or BUST! The O'Mighty DRAFT Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I said it last season near playoff time but one can never predict with certainty what happens with teams tanking and playoff teams resting their players. It's possible the Suns could win more than 25 games although I'm not predicting it.

OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That sounds about right. The fly in the ointment is which of the several teams that are wavering between competing and tanking will soon join the losing side.

Well the suns have a nice lead if more want to join us...Plus McD is saying the right things although Watson is acting stubborn!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm not sure what part of my post elicited this response? I think finishing with 25 or fewer wins is a very effective tank job. Nobody in the league could compete with the futility of Brooklyn's roster so anyone else is automatically playing for 2nd worst. I give the edge to LA but I'm okay with this if we can hang on to a top 5 pick.
I'm curious if you think the Suns should have embraced the tank concept earlier than two games ago. Before that, giving no time to 2 or 3 of our young players. Going with our best options for winning in 4th quarters.

I know it is not an easy decision. Teaching young players to be comfortable with a losing mentality in order to move "up" in the tanking sweepstakes. As someone pointed out, expecting your veterans to lose so they can be replaced by younger players.

And with problems associated with many of the high potential draft picks this year, will finishing with anything other than the 1st or 2nd worst record in the NBA lead to solid playoff potential? Will the 5th pick take us to the next step?

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If the Suns intend to play Dudley significant minutes in place of Tucker, I think it helps the Suns as well. If my eyes are not deceiving me, it looks like Dudley has slowed down even more.

Dudley is done. But he can still hit the three. Someone send him the memo on the tank.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns intend to play Dudley significant minutes in place of Tucker, I think it helps the Suns as well. If my eyes are not deceiving me, it looks like Dudley has slowed down even more.

Dudley is done. But he can still hit the three. Someone send him the memo on the tank.

Yeah, I talked about this a few months ago. Dudley, between signing and the start of the season added a few pounds. He was marginal when he was at his slimmest but in his Mr Softie role he has very little value except as a mentor and a tanking contributor. I thought we needed Knight in order to successfully tank, I had forgotten about Jared until Watson rebooted his career. Still, as poorly as he plays, I'd rather watch him than Brandon.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if you think the Suns should have embraced the tank concept earlier than two games ago. Before that, giving no time to 2 or 3 of our young players. Going with our best options for winning in 4th quarters.

I know it is not an easy decision. Teaching young players to be comfortable with a losing mentality in order to move "up" in the tanking sweepstakes. As someone pointed out, expecting your veterans to lose so they can be replaced by younger players.

And with problems associated with many of the high potential draft picks this year, will finishing with anything other than the 1st or 2nd worst record in the NBA lead to solid playoff potential? Will the 5th pick take us to the next step?

I think they did, in their own way. Starting Chriss when they did was very much a win later move and while I would have preferred more consistent minutes for Ulis, Bender and even Williams, we had too many veterans to just sabotage the season from day one. And even if we'd gone full on youth movement, Brooklyn still probably out-tanks us simply because they have very little in the way of NBA level players on that roster.

OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Actually the decisions are very easy...This team was going nowhere from the beginning of the season so tanking early would have been a no brainer. Actually they tanked on their own without any help at all.. no one had to teach them to be comfortable with losing...they just did. Now it's just becoming more obvious.

As far as whether a top five pick will take us to the next level... I think in this draft chances are good.

Errntknght

Reaction score
My choice out of the gate was to go all in with youth development and let the chips fall where they may. I really mean all in - I wouldn't even have used the elderly as the first guys off the bench. For example the rotation at C would have been Len, Willilams, Chandler because it is important to know what we have in Len and Williams. I'd have made an exception of Bled but no more than 25 minuites of PT - Ulis would have gotten the rest at PG because he may be good enough to start and he may not, so settle it as fast as possible.

As far as the draft goes, I think we should look long and hard at how the candidates defend before we take the leap.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My choice out of the gate was to go all in with youth development and let the chips fall where they may. I really mean all in - I wouldn't even have used the elderly as the first guys off the bench. For example the rotation at C would have been Len, Willilams, Chandler because it is important to know what we have in Len and Williams. I'd have made an exception of Bled but no more than 25 minuites of PT - Ulis would have gotten the rest at PG because he may be good enough to start and he may not, so settle it as fast as possible.

As far as the draft goes, I think we should look long and hard at how the candidates defend before we take the leap.

I wanted to focus primarily on player development too but the signing of Dudley and Barbosa made it clear that wasn't going to happen. I wanted Len to start, backed up by Chandler at the time although I grew to enjoy Williams in his short stints throughout the season. I know he's benefitting from unaware defenses, still he's fun to watch and brings an enthusiasm to the game that is sorely needed.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wanted to focus primarily on player development too but the signing of Dudley and Barbosa made it clear that wasn't going to happen. I wanted Len to start, backed up by Chandler at the time although I grew to enjoy Williams in his short stints throughout the season. I know he's benefiting from unaware defenses, still he's fun to watch and brings an enthusiasm to the game that is sorely needed.

I don't know about that. Dudley and Barbosa were not "win now" signings. They were "good vet guy in the locker room" signings. IOW, their signings were about player development. Their PT is proof of that.

The Len/Chandler thing is curious though. It seems that even though they wanted to give the starting job to Len, he never took it.

OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow just about every tanking team is playing tonight (minus the suns and lakers)

Should make some progress tonight!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
we should be pretty safe..

Orlando and Philly have each 4 more wins than us already and while they probably won't win more than 2 more I can't see us winning more than 5.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Orlando and Philly have each 4 more wins than us already and while they probably won't win more than 2 more I can't see us winning more than 5.

I agree. No one else has really gone into tank mode yet, I'm surprised by that.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We really want the #2 slot and not 1 or 3. Fultz will go first, lakers will take ball at 2 for sure, which is why I want that spot.

The fact that we won't have a clue what to do with any of them is besides the point at this stage.

Are there any d'antoni disciples out there to replace Watson?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
We really want the #2 slot and not 1 or 3. Fultz will go first, lakers will take ball at 2 for sure, which is why I want that spot.

The fact that we won't have a clue what to do with any of them is besides the point at this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, we can always lure his brother Dan away from coaching Marshall.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Ball once missed on a strange looking midrange shot so I'm sceptical. Can we teach him how to hit the rim or is he already too old?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Alvin Gentry might become available.

Wait, been there, done that.

OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dunno.. with our schedule I don't feel so safe. It's true we have a nice little cushion but that can evaporate quickly especially with Watson doing his own thing. Philly and Orlando are the main threats while Im conceding the Lakers surpassing us.

If I knew Watson was fully on board I'd feel a little safer but I don't!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Suns will pass Orlando unless Bledsoe is held out of a road trip or something. For the most part the Suns are in most of these games and the schedule is very favorable after this homestand.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just don't us to pass the Lakers. I would really enjoy watching them get screwed out of their draft pick.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am just not too worried about the tank any more. Jackson might be the player I want most in this draft anyway. He will be there at three or four.

OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am just not too worried about the tank any more. Jackson might be the player I want most in this draft anyway. He will be there at three or four.

The suns have been playing competitively lately and our schedule for the rest of the season is pretty soft. I really don't know how locked in we should feel.