Shelton signs with Browns

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Cleveland's line is awful, the Steelers and Ravens will run the train on it 4 times this year. Good luck to LJ, just not against the Steelers though :thumbup:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Footballguys.com is reporting that Ross Verba may be released now that LJ Shelton has signed.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Footballguys.com is reporting that Ross Verba may be released now that LJ Shelton has signed.

You are right, I just saw antoher story on it in the San Jose Mercury News (below).

Verba's hold out for a new contract may mean a different team. If the Brown release Verba, hopefully the Cards will sign him!! :D

Browns add free-agent L.J. Shelton; Verba could be out

BY PATRICK MCMANAMON

Knight Ridder Newspapers

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio - (KRT) - The Browns added a free-agent offensive tackle Friday night, which could mean Ross Verba's days with the team could be drawing to a close.

L.J. Shelton, formerly of the Arizona Cardinals, agreed to terms on a one-year deal. Shelton, 6 feet 6 inches and 335 pounds, has started 77 games in his six-year career at both right and left tackle.

The Browns did not announce the deal because the contract had not been signed and probably will not be presented to the league until Monday, but a source said the deal is complete.

Verba, the starting left tackle, is boycotting the team's "passing camp" to highlight his demands for a new contract. He has threatened to boycott the team's upcoming minicamp and hold out of training camp if his salary is not increased greatly. Verba already has been paid a $465,000 signing bonus, and he's set to make just less than $3 million in salary this season.

Shelton was a first-round draft pick of Arizona, but he fell out of favor with coach Dennis Green when he reported to a 2003 minicamp in what Green thought was poor shape.

He lost the starting left tackle job to Leonard Davis before the '03 season but in October earned the spot as starting right tackle. Shelton had ankle surgery following the 2003 season, and ended last year on injured reserve with a sprained knee.

After the season, the Cardinals gave Shelton permission to work out a trade, and his name was publicly bandied about in a deal with the Buffalo Bills for running back Travis Henry - a trade that never was completed.

Last edited:

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
Here's an ESPN article where Verba is asking the Brown to cut him, now that Shelton is signed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2075601

LJ. The poor-man's Ross Verba.

That article paints a kind picture of LJ and a poor one of DG and the Cardinals organization. Large surprise.

LJ had an offer from Houston, but he Browns never let he get out of town...it will be interesting to see what his one-year deal is worth on Monday.

Last edited:

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
vinnymac said:
who cares if shelton signs with the browns.

I will tell you why it interests me.

It relates back to Pete Kendall. Pete was a real questionable Denny Green call; Kendall had talent and that was echoed by the Jets when they SNAPPED him up (long-term, I believe), paid him well, and watched him all-season and into the play-offs as their starting guard. A position that we needed a draft and free-agency to shore up.

That decision by Denny, I put down to his establishing control and demonstrating that on a high-profile player. That player, who I believe established by his actions that he wasn't "buying-in" to Denny Green's System, bought himself an abrupt free-agency.

LJ Shelton was a different story. LJ was paid HUGE to be a professional. I have read a lot of posters say he was a good one; I disagree. LJ was a professional in the sense he was paid to do his job. LJ, from his hold-out as a first-round pick, never was a good professional. He was paid for it, no doubt. He just didn't earn it with his play and that was because he did not work hard at his job like a good professional would.

Denny Green saw this like the little kid saw the emperor was naked. Denny just did the logical, obvious, and long-overdue thing by placing BIG at his natural postion and sitting a high-paid under-achiever. I think this was echoed by the rest of the league with it's response to LJ's abrupt free-agency.

I think it is an interesting to note Denny's dispostion of our two "leading" offensive lineman from the Tobin-Mac era.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Best of luck LJ (except when you play us).

Be sure to pack plenty of thermal stuff and bring along a case of dog biscuits for the 'pound creatures.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I don't understand why LJ chose the Browns over the Texans. It's only a one year year deal, so there can't be that much difference - moneywise.

Cleveland are trying to implement a power running game under Crennel. The Texans are a passing team and LJ would replace the worst LT in the entire league. The Texans just seem to be a much better fit, because LJ could really show his qualities with them, because he's a very good pass blocker and because he would have a much bigger impact since he's an upgrade over Seth Wand (Think that's his name).

pete

All Star
Reaction score
BACH said:
I don't understand why LJ chose the Browns over the Texans. It's only a one year year deal, so there can't be that much difference - moneywise.

Cleveland are trying to implement a power running game under Crennel. The Texans are a passing team and LJ would replace the worst LT in the entire league. The Texans just seem to be a much better fit, because LJ could really show his qualities with them, because he's a very good pass blocker and because he would have a much bigger impact since he's an upgrade over Seth Wand (Think that's his name).

I don't get it either. After he had his visit in Houston, he was talking like it was a done deal. He took a small shot at the Cards saying how there was 100% offseason participation in Houston as compared to something less with his previous teams.

I hope he does well in Cleveland but I am surprised he wasn't pursued more.

Reaction score
BACH said:

Nice post, BACH. So one would assume it came down to $$$!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for why he took Cleveland over Houston it may have come down to thinking he had a better chance at a long term deal there? Remember Jamir Miller did the same thing, took a 1 year cheap deal, played well enough that Cleveland gave him a big deal. LJ may have decided the odds of a new long term deal were better in Cleveland?

Verba demanding a release is pretty interesting, you would assume he'd be VERY high on Buffalo's list so I'm betting Verba is going to be used as trade bait before they outright cut him.

I haven't seen the terms of LJ's deal announced yet but if they're refusing to redo Verba my guess is it's NOT a big deal, so it probably wasn't money that made his decision this year, it was probably looking beyond this year.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The contract LJ signed doesn't prove Green was right...and it doesn't prove Green was wrong either. LJ simply made a decision based on the offers he received from Cleveland, Houston and reportedly Chicago and chose Cleveland.

Did anyone every think that maybe he chose Cleveland because it is less than 200 miles from his hometown? He chose Cleveland over Chicago because the Bears had him pegged as G and I would think he wants to play T if at all possible.

Until we know what the terms are and what Houston offered, we don't know if money is indeed a factor.

Not sure why people are shocked it is a one year deal. Actually makes sense from both sides and given most of the FA dollars have been spent on long term deals already, it doesn't surprise me.

Best of luck to LJ.