Green says Shelton cut wasn't personal

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Green says Shelton cut wasn't personal

Odeen Domingo
The Arizona Republic
May. 20, 2005 12:00 AM

Cardinals coach Dennis Green said Thursday there was nothing personal in his decision to cut offensive tackle L.J. Shelton on Wednesday.

Green said it's his job to assemble a winning team.

"I mean this is a great Valley for football, (there are) a lot of people, but people aren't going to come and see you play unless you accept the responsibility of putting a winning football team on the field, and that's what I always do," he said at the conclusion of Thursday's rookie camp workout. advertisement

Shelton signed a contract extension in November 2003, but he's not the first to be cut loose by Green after getting an extension under the previous regime. Raynoch Thompson, Steve Bush and Marcus Bell suffered similar fates.

Return man wanted

The Cardinals rookies and first-year players practiced kickoff return coverage Thursday, but the most notable aspect of the drill was who was fielding the kickoffs.

The Cardinals were 28th in the league last year with a 19.9 kick-return average.

LeRon McCoy, drafted in the seventh round because of his 4.43 speed, took turns fielding kickoffs with rookie free agents Roger Robinson and Dan Sheldon.

During Wednesday's practice, first-round pick Antrel Rolle and first-year player Luke Powell received punts.

The Cardinals averaged 6.7 yards on punt returns last season, 26th in the league.

They have not returned a punt for a touchdown since 1993.

Am I the only one having a problem with Rolle returning kicks?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Nope

BACH said:

Who can forget how Jason Sehorn's career was pretty much shortened and or destroyed by his injury on a kickoff return in 1998?

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally_Red said:
Who can forget how Jason Sehorn's career was pretty much shortened and or destroyed by his injury on a kickoff return in 1998?

Or the awful debacle of Deion Sanders returning punts/kick-offs.

Wait, he was really good at that wasnt he? :shrug:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Citizen Journalist - Begging the Question:

Unasked by reporters of Dennis given a gazillion opportunities has to be -

"If the reason for releasing LJ (a) wasn't about personalities and (b) had to do with the team going in another direction, would you please explain what that new direction is and why Shelton didn't fit into those plans?"

"In other words, what is the specific physical, athletic and mental profile you feel we need and how does LJ differ from that? For example, perhaps you are looking for more size, quickness and physicality and feel Shelton is less quick, smaller and more of a finesse guy. Can you help us out here?"

I don't think Dennis would be giving away trade secrets or denigrating LJ in any way by sharing this with Cardinal fans. What it would do is make each of us a bit smarter and, therefore, better (and more understanding) fans.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

"If the reason for releasing LJ (a) wasn't about personalities and (b) had to do with the team going in another direction, would you please explain what that new direction is and why Shelton didn't fit into those plans?"

"In other words, what is the specific physical, athletic and mental profile you feel we need and how does LJ differ from that? For example, perhaps you are looking for more size, quickness and physicality and feel Shelton is less quick, smaller and more of a finesse guy. Can you help us out here?"

I don't think Dennis would be giving away trade secrets or denigrating LJ in any way by sharing this with Cardinal fans. What it would do is make each of us a bit smarter and, therefore, better (and more understanding) fans.

Only thing I can think of is that Shelton was a player who did not buy into DG's system. If so then keeping him while maybe a depth upgrade in talent , could be a detriment to team unity/mentality, and if so then you had to let him go.

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
JasonKGME said:
Only thing I can think of is that Shelton was a player who did not buy into DG's system. If so then keeping him while maybe a depth upgrade in talent , could be a detriment to team unity/mentality, and if so then you had to let him go.

I think DG wants a mean and nasty O-Line, hence the signing of Ross. Brown also plays with a nasty demeanor as well.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

I like the questions, but as you say - getting into the details of the release would simply be interpreted as a less than flattering evaluation of LJ, and this serves no purpose at this pont.

Evidently, Coaches Green, Rowan and Lindsay believe that LJ can't earn a starting position. And Bidwill, Graves and Green believe that 3m, or so - is too high a price to pay for a backup, no matter the state of the CAP.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BACH said:

Nope, I completely agree.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
it's rookie camp.... who else is going to return punts?

Powell and Green, how about Sheldon or McCoy. Not a kid we're relying on to start from day 1 IMHO, too risky.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
LJ was making too much money to be a backup. Period. He wasn't at LT, we already have our starting RT, and LJ was getting too much dough. There you are. Going in another direction is simply the fact that we have Ross and Davis.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Going in another direction is simply the fact that we have Ross and Davis.
But we didn't have Ross when the decision to demote LJ was made. And we were thin at RG before the draft as well.

But that's not my point. The reasons outlined on this board may be dead-on and valid, but my issue is with the way the media asks questions.

The Cardinals gave up (for nothing) two bookend offensive tackles (Shelton and Clement) who were supposed to be fixtures for a decade or longer. This is a big deal when you take the long term view of the development of the Cardinal franchise. While the reasons for releasing them are probably well-justified, they shouldn't be sugar-coated when explaining them to the public.

In other words, the media shouldn't let Dennis get away with a "nothing personal; we were simply going in another direction" comment without at least some degree of follow-up (i.e. "What do you mean by 'another direction?' Why didn't LJ fit into those plans?")

There's a better than 50-50 chance that Dennis would still resist answering the follow up question forthrightly, but at least someone in the press corps should be pressing the issue - at least a little bit.

pete

All Star
Reaction score
Stout said:
LJ was making too much money to be a backup. Period. He wasn't at LT, we already have our starting RT, and LJ was getting too much dough. There you are. Going in another direction is simply the fact that we have Ross and Davis.

LJ did fine at LT. He was an average run blocker and an above average pass blocker. Green wanted Big at LT to improve the run game on that side and it looked like a pretty good move. LJ will go to another team and do fine at LT again. He's a good player, just not what Green wants at LT and he's being paid too much to move to another position.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Powell and Green, how about Sheldon or McCoy. Not a kid we're relying on to start from day 1 IMHO, too risky.

but my point is that it is rookie camp and he has had experience doing it. I certainly would be concerned if this was preseason or week 1, but I dont believe they do any contact at rookie camp. It think it is more to see if he is comfortable at least fielding the ball.

DKCards

Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Or the awful debacle of Deion Sanders returning punts/kick-offs.

Wait, he was really good at that wasnt he? :shrug:

That is exactly what I was thinking. Let's put the best players on the field. A big return can change a game completely around. Injuries are part of the game but you can't be afraid of them and change how or who you play. I guess you can't run Q over the middle then either because of the risk factor.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
The Cardinals gave up (for nothing) two bookend offensive tackles (Shelton and Clement) who were supposed to be fixtures for a decade or longer. This is a big deal when you take the long term view of the development of the Cardinal franchise. While the reasons for releasing them are probably well-justified, they shouldn't be sugar-coated when explaining them to the public.
I think you are way overrating Shelton and Clement. The reason we got nothing in return for them is because that is exactly what other teams were offering. Nothing.

Even if we tried to trade Shelton last year before he fell out of favor, he was still an overweight player coming off of an injury, as has all ready been pointed out. I don't think you can blame the Cardinals because there was no market for Clement and Shelton.

Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
But that's not my point. The reasons outlined on this board may be dead-on and valid, but my issue is with the way the media asks questions.

In other words, the media shouldn't let Dennis get away with a "nothing personal; we were simply going in another direction" comment without at least some degree of follow-up (i.e. "What do you mean by 'another direction?' Why didn't LJ fit into those plans?")

There's a better than 50-50 chance that Dennis would still resist answering the follow up question forthrightly, but at least someone in the press corps should be pressing the issue - at least a little bit.

You are expecting way too much of the local hacks!!! Not that your point isn't a correct point theoretically, but your talking about a press corps that finds it much easier to simply make assumptions and slam the Cardinals than to dig and ask tough, pointed questions. :shrug:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Comment -The Cardinals gave up (for nothing) two bookend offensive tackles (Shelton and Clement)

Response - I think you are way overrating Shelton and Clement.
You're confusing opinion with reporting.

I'm not overrating or underrating Shelton or Clement.

The point is that both were drafted high, were supposed to be fixtures at OT and a key part of a major Cardinal rebuilding effort at the time. Obviously, it didn't work out.

When you take the long view of the franchise, this has to be considered a major story - not because both players were particularly talented, but because they were expected to be and, therefore, an essential part of Cardinal turnaround plans at the time.

When stuff like that happens, it's good journalistic process to ask: "How and why did this happen?" and not to accept without follow up, the standard cookie cutter response that "it was just one of those things."

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Comment -The Cardinals gave up (for nothing) two bookend offensive tackles (Shelton and Clement)

Response - I think you are way overrating Shelton and Clement.
You're confusing opinion with reporting.

I'm not overrating or underrating Shelton or Clement.

The point is that both were drafted high, were supposed to be fixtures at OT and a key part of a major Cardinal rebuilding effort at the time. Obviously, it didn't work out.

When you take the long view of the franchise, this has to be considered a major story - not because both players were particularly talented, but because they were expected to be and, therefore, an essential part of Cardinal turnaround plans at the time.

When stuff like that happens, it's good journalistic process to ask: "How and why did this happen?" and not to accept without follow up, the standard cookie cutter response that "it was just one of those things."

They fired the guy(s) responsible for drafying/coaching these 2. What more do you want? Heads on a silver platter? lol

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
BACH said:

It worries me, too.

Wasn't Rolle really good at blocking punts in college? I think I'd rather see him try to do that if he has to be on the punt team at all.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
but my point is that it is rookie camp and he has had experience doing it. I certainly would be concerned if this was preseason or week 1, but I dont believe they do any contact at rookie camp. It think it is more to see if he is comfortable at least fielding the ball.

True. To me the other side of it is the time Rolle is spending practicing fielding punts might be better served learning how to play in non press coverage and other things.

If rookie camp were that safe, there wouldn't be the insurance waiver deal for all the rookies, but you're right that he's probably not getting creamed by teammates he's just catching punts.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
DKCards said:
That is exactly what I was thinking. Let's put the best players on the field. A big return can change a game completely around. Injuries are part of the game but you can't be afraid of them and change how or who you play. I guess you can't run Q over the middle then either because of the risk factor.

I'm not convinced Rolle is an elite punt returner. Sheldon was an elite PR @ NIU. Rolle wasn't even the best PR on his team, albeit a good team.

Sanders is the exception. Rolle does not have his kind of speed. I don't see Champ Bailey or Charles Woodson returning punts, and I really don't want to see Antrel Rolle doing it.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Going in another direction is simply the fact that we have Ross and Davis.
But we didn't have Ross when the decision to demote LJ was made. And we were thin at RG before the draft as well.

That is just not Denny's style on dealing with the press. Denny treats the team as a family and all issues, decisions, etc. stay within the family. When a player is cut Denny will never be critical just say they are going in another direction. IMO most of the players buy into Denny's system as he is a positive motivator and is totally absorbed in building and maintaining a winning team. The press in Minneapolis hated this but whether we like it or not that is the way it is.