Mock Draft 2024 Thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is a mistake that NFL teams often make though. Looking at that tough guy OL/DL with meh measurables who dominated in college, only to end up with a guy who isn't physically good enough in the NFL.

I can get down a lot more with swing OT, but even then, if they aren't going to start, even early round three is too early.

The Cardinals need impact players. People who catch passes, rush the passer, and intercept passes. The OL is good enough for now, and taking an early prospect is probably overkill when you could get a WR/Edge/DT/CB.

One of the best things we saw from the Cardinals is that they seemingly demonstrated they can get more out of OL than they could during the Kingsbury era.
On the other hand, we shouldn't fall into the "combine is all" trap. I know you're not forwarding that opinion, but measurables only take you so far in evaluating prospects. Going all in on combine numbers gets you the late riser bust types.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the best things we saw from the Cardinals is that they seemingly demonstrated they can get more out of OL than they could during the Kingsbury era.
Our Oline coach Klayton Adams really got the most out of the players he had to work with

All the years we kept hearing out the Oline coaches we brought in only to be disappointed

Adams was the real deal and I'm looking forward to the Oline continuing to improve under his coaching

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've said it over and over, but you can find starting guards in round 4 on a near yearly basis.

Jon Gaines has a good shot to be an NFL OG based on his testing numbers and starting experience in college.

Does it really matter if you find your starting guard in round 3 vs round 4?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Does it really matter if you find your starting guard in round 3 vs round 4?
It's the opportunity cost. It's harder to find CBs and other more premium positions later.

You can find quite a few articles and YouTube videos that present the data that I'm talking about. Once I saw it, I said, "Nope! I'm not drafting guards early anymore."

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This one is fun. Walking away with two receivers round one. Mitchell has a really high ceiling and to give Murray a pass catching group of Harrison Jr, Mitchell, Wilson, and McBride is pretty enticing.

Walking away with Newton, Orhorhoro, and Sweat fills out the DL depth chart.

Philips and Green are both decent to good athletes that both play tough at CB.

Wilson should be an instant upgrade at LB next to White.

Nourzad is a guy people are sleeping on. He has pretty good tape. A scrapper for the middle of the OL.

Trevin Wallace is an A+ athlete, but needs some more seasoning.

Attachments

• 1000025330.png
    1000025330.png
    500.2 KB · Views: 3

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I've said, I just don't see the need for more picks. 11 new players is a lot! The mock draft gets hella boring by pick seven LOL.
You can use the picks, to move up and get higher quality players...

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is an example of that scenario.

Walking away with Harrison, Murphy III, and Latu...wow.

I don't see anyway that the Cardinals select A. Mitchell. He has character and work ethic concerns and I don't believe he fits the type of player that Monti is looking for.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You can use the picks, to move up and get higher quality players...
So we need to trade back so we can...trade up? That is not a need. That is playing "smartest guy in the room" and is clearly not something you try to do every draft. Unless Monti is the greatest GM of all time and no one else has been able to pull off that much of a master class before. Is he such a trend setter? I doubt it. I'm hoping he's smart enough to stick and pick. We need that Big John that is MHJ.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we need to trade back so we can...trade up?
Do we need to? No. I answered a question on why you may want more picks.
That is not a need.
The Cards have more needs, than draft picks. Even with the haul we already have.
That is playing "smartest guy in the room" and is clearly not something you try to do every draft. Unless Monti is the greatest GM of all time and no one else has been able to pull off that much of a master class before. Is he such a trend setter? I doubt it. I'm hoping he's smart enough to stick and pick. We need that Big John that is MHJ.
I'm in the rare position where I am fine with just about every option that Monti can do. (unless he trades out of 4 into the teens for example and doesn't trade back up)

Stick and pick MHJ, awesome.
Trade into the 5-7 range and still get Odunze/Nabers and a haul including another 1st round pick this year and more, awesome.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we need to trade back so we can...trade up? That is not a need. That is playing "smartest guy in the room" and is clearly not something you try to do every draft. Unless Monti is the greatest GM of all time and no one else has been able to pull off that much of a master class before. Is he such a trend setter? I doubt it. I'm hoping he's smart enough to stick and pick. We need that Big John that is MHJ.
Totally agree. However, let’s assume Odunze was higher on our board than MHJ,( hypothetical). I don’t believe he would trade down with the HOPE of trading back up. Something would have to be in place. All that being said. Harrison is our guy.
What would be a shocker would be we trade 27,35 and a 3rd to move up to get Turner.