Friend of the Family (2022, Prime, Peacock)

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Excellent series based upon a true story. If you don't mind getting really creeped out and pissed off at how stupid small town trusting parents were in the 1970's, this is the one for you. That was really a different era. I was a kid back then, and we didn't lock our doors and didn't have the benefit of cable/streamed national news scaring us about all the creepers out there. In some ways at least, a very trusting and innocent time. That came at a price for many.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Excellent series based upon a true story. If you don't mind getting really creeped out and pissed off at how stupid small town trusting parents were in the 1970's, this is the one for you. That was really a different era. I was a kid back then, and we didn't lock our doors and didn't have the benefit of cable/streamed national news scaring us about all the creepers out there. In some ways at least, a very trusting and innocent time. That came at a price for many.
I dunno.. I remember once in a small town in the seventies. I mini Oaken1 was playing in the street. we lived on a dead end road so we always played in the street. I was about 3 or 4. a car comes, stops..and this fella starts talking to me...didnt seem to creepy, but it was abnormal...nobody comes down a dead end street that dont live there.
You remember the scary old man?? Every neighborhood had one.

well anyway, the scary dude...he comes out of his house with a shotgun. The guy being out of his house freaked me out more than the gun honestly.. but old guy climbs up this guy in the cars ass like a pissed off badger.
" No sir, you dont come around here talking to children. You have questions you find an adult or Ill bury your ass boy, you understand?"
Then he looks to me and says, "Boy you get your ass home"

and I ran.

turns out.. the guy was the exe husband of the young lady that lived over the garage at my neighbors house. a few other fellas came out to the street and they pointed dude to a motel so he had no need to ever be on our block.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno.. I remember once in a small town in the seventies. I mini Oaken1 was playing in the street. we lived on a dead end road so we always played in the street. I was about 3 or 4. a car comes, stops..and this fella starts talking to me...didnt seem to creepy, but it was abnormal...nobody comes down a dead end street that dont live there.
You remember the scary old man?? Every neighborhood had one.

well anyway, the scary dude...he comes out of his house with a shotgun. The guy being out of his house freaked me out more than the gun honestly.. but old guy climbs up this guy in the cars ass like a pissed off badger.
" No sir, you dont come around here talking to children. You have questions you find an adult or Ill bury your ass boy, you understand?"
Then he looks to me and says, "Boy you get your ass home"

and I ran.

turns out.. the guy was the exe husband of the young lady that lived over the garage at my neighbors house. a few other fellas came out to the street and they pointed dude to a motel so he had no need to ever be on our block.
Scottsdale wasn't exactly a small town back in the 50's and 60's as I grew up but other than when my stepfather would fly into an alcohol related rage (couple times a month), I never once felt "scared" like this.

My son, at 4 and 5, walked to kindergarten and then grade school in Tempe and then when he was 8 we moved to La Habra, California - since my wife and I both worked full time and both had long commutes he was on his own every schoolday from early morning to late afternoon. Now, maybe we'd get in trouble for our latchkey kid but times have changed. Still, the last I heard, the number of latchkey kids has doubled since the year 2000.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Scottsdale wasn't exactly a small town back in the 50's and 60's as I grew up but other than when my stepfather would fly into an alcohol related rage (couple times a month), I never once felt "scared" like this.

My son, at 4 and 5, walked to kindergarten and then grade school in Tempe and then when he was 8 we moved to La Habra, California - since my wife and I both worked full time and both had long commutes he was on his own every schoolday from early morning to late afternoon. Now, maybe we'd get in trouble for our latchkey kid but times have changed. Still, the last I heard, the number of latchkey kids has doubled since the year 2000.
Yeah .. we weren't scared . The old man was just that mean old man every neighborhood had with a big dog and a dozen baseballs in his yard.
We knew we were safe. Everyone on the block kept an eye on us.
The downside though... I once sprayed Linda Sensenbauger with the water hose cause she was sticking her tongue out at me. Unfortunately she was in her mom's car... So her mom spanked me and sent me home to tell my mom what happened.
Then my mom spanked me for embarrassing her in front of the neighbors...
Then my dad got home and he spanked me for making him have to come home to a bitchy wife.
Three ass whooping, all because Linda Sensenbauger was a lil bitch.
And the neighbors all had my parents blessing to drop an ass whooping on me whenever I needed one.
We behaved for the most part

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Without the key, I guess I was a latchkey kid too growing up in a townhouse complex then a home in West Mesa when I was a teenager. Our doors were never locked. I walked everywhere, including to the Utotem store about a half mile away all the time. Never had any problems or run ins with any creepers fortunately.

This series focuses on a very creative and conniving creeper that wedges himself in as a "friend of the family" then manipulates things from there. Its both infuriating and fascinating how he got away with it. Unbelievable.