OT: 2024 NFL Draft Rumors

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don't have WR talent, but folks want to trade away from the top talent. Here's to hoping #5, 6, or 7 WR is a star, a star we absolutely and desperately need. Why not, it's a deep draft at the position lol
I would say the odds actually are one of those will be, the problem is figuring out which one it is on draft day.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Speaking of QBs

Mike Tannenbaum, ESPN Mock draft

4. Arizona Cardinals

J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

Look, QB availability is crucial in today's NFL -- 66 passers started at least one game last season -- and Kyler Murray hasn't played a full season since 2020. I really like McCarthy's long-term upside. The 21-year-old averaged 9 yards per attempt and completed 72.3% of his throws last season, and he bulked up to 219 pounds at the combine. In short, I think he's a better, younger and more durable quarterback than Murray right now, and I'm not passing up this chance.

You might point to Murray's contract (which includes $35.3 million guaranteed for 2024 and $29.9 million guaranteed for 2025), but teams routinely eat substantial dead money these days for a better opportunity at the position. And besides, I think the Cardinals could get a first-round pick back in exchange for him -- stay tuned there, I might have something up my sleeve.

Mock projected trade: Vikings address their QB issue

Cardinals get: No. 11
Vikings get: QB Kyler Murray and No. 66 (third round)

I drafted J.J. McCarthy at No. 4 to take over under center for Arizona, so Murray becomes a trade candidate and Minnesota is still searching for QB answers after missing out on the top four passers in the class. I don't love the scheme fit for Oregon's Bo Nix in Minnesota, and it's too early for Washington's Michael Penix Jr.

So here's my proposition to clear some cap space for the Cards, officially start the McCarthy era in Arizona and fix the Vikings' QB issue. In my mind, the No. 11 pick for Murray straight up is too rich, and No. 23 -- Minnesota's other first-rounder -- on its own is not enough. So I'm attaching that third-rounder to the No. 11 pick to level this out. It's similar to what the Cardinals did during the 2022 draft, when they traded their first-round pick (No. 23) to Baltimore for receiver Marquise Brown and a third-rounder.

From the Vikings' standpoint, everything I said earlier about Murray's durability still matters, but he's cheaper and younger than Kirk Cousins would have been to re-sign and gives them a chance to compete this season rather than rebuild.

11. Arizona Cardinals (via mock trade with MIN)

Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo

Mitchell had an outstanding combine, running a 4.33 in the 40, jumping 38 inches in the vert and posting a 10-foot-2 broad jump. I was also impressed with his Senior Bowl practice week. Mitchell has standout man-to-man skills and the ideal 6-foot-1 size to play outside corner. His ball production is elite, with 39 pass breakups and six interceptions over his time in college. Arizona signed Sean Murphy-Bunting, but this team struggled on defense (specifically against the pass) last season and needs more. The Cards gave up a staggering 7.6 yards per pass attempt (27th). Pairing Mitchell with Murphy-Bunting would make for a much-needed upgrade to the Cardinals' secondary.

Outstanding idea....draft a new QB to throw to the same garbage receivers the old QB has.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Speaking of QBs

4. Arizona Cardinals

Look, QB availability is crucial in today's NFL -- 66 passers started at least one game last season -- and Kyler Murray hasn't played a full season since 2020. I really like McCarthy's long-term upside. The 21-year-old averaged 9 yards per attempt and completed 72.3% of his throws last season, and he bulked up to 219 pounds at the combine. In short, I think he's a better, younger and more durable quarterback than Murray right now, and I'm not passing up this chance.

You might point to Murray's contract (which includes $35.3 million guaranteed for 2024 and $29.9 million guaranteed for 2025), but teams routinely eat substantial dead money these days for a better opportunity at the position. And besides, I think the Cardinals could get a first-round pick back in exchange for him -- stay tuned there, I might have something up my sleeve.

I drafted J.J. McCarthy at No. 4 to take over under center for Arizona, so Murray becomes a trade candidate and Minnesota is still searching for QB answers after missing out on the top four passers in the class. I don't love the scheme fit for Oregon's Bo Nix in Minnesota, and it's too early for Washington's Michael Penix Jr.

So here's my proposition to clear some cap space for the Cards, officially start the McCarthy era in Arizona and fix the Vikings' QB issue. In my mind, the No. 11 pick for Murray straight up is too rich, and No. 23 -- Minnesota's other first-rounder -- on its own is not enough. So I'm attaching that third-rounder to the No. 11 pick to level this out. It's similar to what the Cardinals did during the 2022 draft, when they traded their first-round pick (No. 23) to Baltimore for receiver Marquise Brown and a third-rounder.

From the Vikings' standpoint, everything I said earlier about Murray's durability still matters, but he's cheaper and younger than Kirk Cousins would have been to re-sign and gives them a chance to compete this season rather than rebuild.

Mitchell had an outstanding combine, running a 4.33 in the 40, jumping 38 inches in the vert and posting a 10-foot-2 broad jump. I was also impressed with his Senior Bowl practice week. Mitchell has standout man-to-man skills and the ideal 6-foot-1 size to play outside corner. His ball production is elite, with 39 pass breakups and six interceptions over his time in college. Arizona signed Sean Murphy-Bunting, but this team struggled on defense (specifically against the pass) last season and needs more. The Cards gave up a staggering 7.6 yards per pass attempt (27th). Pairing Mitchell with Murphy-Bunting would make for a much-needed upgrade to the Cardinals' secondary.

LETS CHASE SOME CLICKS YALL!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Or Edge talent, or CB talent. We need a lot of help in a lot of places. More than just one player can fix. I think we can both agree on that.

3 first rounders. THREE!
I mean, statistically, one is likely to become an above-average starter for the team long-term, one is likely to become a solid starter for four years and depart in free agency, and one will be a disappointment and out of the league after his first deal.

Exciting.

I get wanting to trade for "a haul"; I'm less certain about teams who want to trade out of a group of elite players for a significantly smaller reward. Last year's draft class was mediocre; you were likely to get a prospect in the second round that was as valuable as the guy you'd get at 13 or 20. That won't be the case this year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. What many here agree, however, is that a potent offense will help us paper over what's still an atrocious defense. We have a QB (we hope). We have a RB (if he can stay healthy). We have the makings of a good offensive line. And we have cat poo and hope at WR. Let's fix what we are in a perfect position to fix and on the side of the ball that most agree needs fixed this season, please.
I don't disagree, but here is what I would say.

If you could parlay MHJ into either Nabers/Odunze AND Adonai Mitchell/Brian Thomas. While still keeping our 27 for Edge/CB. Wouldn't that make us a better team than just MHJ alone?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, statistically, one is likely to become an above-average starter for the team long-term, one is likely to become a solid starter for four years and depart in free agency, and one will be a disappointment and out of the league after his first deal.

Exciting.

I get wanting to trade for "a haul"; I'm less certain about teams who want to trade out of a group of elite players for a significantly smaller reward. Last year's draft class was mediocre; you were likely to get a prospect in the second round that was as valuable as the guy you'd get at 13 or 20. That won't be the case this year.
Fair. But with the Cardinals draft history, it has been the bottom 2 options at best. I can certainly understand why they want to maximize efforts.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the draft ended only after the first round & if we already didn’t have 6 top 100 picks then I would agree with you here.
That's fine. Although I don't think you could be persuaded no matter what was said. You have been pretty vocal about not wanting to trade down.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If the draft ended only after the first round & if we already didn’t have 6 top 100 picks then I would agree with you here.
I think we'd have to trade our second and probably one of our thirds to get back up, yes? Maybe not.

We moved from 12 to 6 last year by giving up 12, a 2nd (34th overall), and a fifth (which we somehow got back LOL) for the sixth pick and 3rd (81st overall).

The biggest hope has to be that teams in the top eight or nine just aren't interested in trading out of the territory where they can get an elite prospect. Although you can see the Titans and Falcons maybe.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't disagree, but here is what I would say.

If you could parlay MHJ into either Nabers/Odunze AND Adonai Mitchell/Brian Thomas. While still keeping our 27 for Edge/CB. Wouldn't that make us a better team than just MHJ alone?
Sure it would. That said, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, everyday would be Christmas.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure it would. That said, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, everyday would be Christmas.
IMO you either have trust/faith in the GM or not. I didn't have faith in Keim at all, so I wanted him to always choose the BPA.

I'd say the Cards are a better team/in a better position with the trade last year than we would have been without.

I'm at the place where I will trust the GM, until he gives enough reason not to.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO you either have trust/faith in the GM or not. I didn't have faith in Keim at all, so I wanted him to always choose the BPA.

I'd say the Cards are a better team/in a better position with the trade last year than we would have been without.

I'm at the place where I will trust the GM, until he gives enough reason not to.
Yes, I will support whatever moves are made or not made. I can always disregard them once I move into "fire the dopes" phase.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The biggest hope has to be that teams in the top eight or nine just aren't interested in trading out of the territory where they can get an elite prospect.
the Falcons and Chargers are in interesting spots

top 8 picks, so they need talent. But up against the cap. And new HCs

they would very well take a quantity over quality approach

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
the Falcons and Chargers are in interesting spots

top 8 picks, so they need talent. But up against the cap. And new HCs

they would very well take a quantity over quality approach

You have old info. They have $32 million in cap space right now and nearly $100 million in open cap space next year. What they don't have are pass catchers. They have an OT they like, also.

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If cards org comes to the conclusion that MHJ is a generational talent and still decides to trade out it’s a mistake no matter how you spin it IMO

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Which they are you referring to here?
The Chargers.

The Falcons are a little up against the cap this year (Just $1.75M according to OTC), but they can open up as much as $9.5 million by restructuring Jake Matthews' deal and another $7.5 million by restructuring Grady Jarrett's deal.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Chargers.

The Falcons are a little up against the cap this year (Just $1.75M according to OTC), but they can open up as much as $9.5 million by restructuring Jake Matthews' deal and another $7.5 million by restructuring Grady Jarrett's deal.
Thank you for sharing.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The Chargers.

yep, those LAC cap moves were bigger than i realized

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

He whiffs on getting MHJ/Odunze when he's in a perfect position to draft one of them, that's the reason not to.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Speaking of QBs

4. Arizona Cardinals

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bears going WR at 9 absolutely make sense, guys. Keenan Allen is turning 32, not 22.

Michael Gallup & Amari Cooper having 1K yard seasons didn’t stop Dallas from drafting CeeDee after the season.

The Bears have a hole across from Montez Sweat. They can draft WR later.