Arizona State Basketball 2023-24

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has to be asked. IS ASU even considering moving on from Hurley? Every year lots of athletes totally undisciplined style, terrible shots, high turnover and Hurley losing his marbles.

In the last 13:03 of the game Saturday ASU scored FIVE points! ONE FG in the last 13 minutes. There's a bunch of talk on Pac 12 sites that PG Frankie Collins is going to transfer out.

Just seems like at a certain point they should decide Hurley just isn't good enough and move on but with the conference shutting down maybe they don't care, maybe they're going to wait until the dust settles and see what coaches are available?
ASU doesn't even have an athletic director. Wednesday will be four months since we knew a new AD will be hired. I don't even hear rumors about an AD, much less Hurley's job status. Maybe someone else here knows something?

Yeah, you would think a more normal power conference program would be done with Hurley. But ASU inexplicably kept Herm Edwards for another year, so who knows?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Has to be asked. IS ASU even considering moving on from Hurley? Every year lots of athletes totally undisciplined style, terrible shots, high turnover and Hurley losing his marbles.

In the last 13:03 of the game Saturday ASU scored FIVE points! ONE FG in the last 13 minutes. There's a bunch of talk on Pac 12 sites that PG Frankie Collins is going to transfer out.

Just seems like at a certain point they should decide Hurley just isn't good enough and move on but with the conference shutting down maybe they don't care, maybe they're going to wait until the dust settles and see what coaches are available?
As an ASU fan, it's my opinion that they absolutely should, for all the reasons you listed. It's insanity to keep repeating the same scenario year after year. But I guess they have a good recruiting class coming in next year, so some people feel that will save his job for another year.

But I absolutely believe if it's another "same old, same old, Bobby Hurley" year next year, he's finished then.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

ASU doesn't even have an athletic director. Wednesday will be four months since we knew a new AD will be hired. I don't even hear rumors about an AD, much less Hurley's job status. Maybe someone else here knows something?

Yeah, you would think a more normal power conference program would be done with Hurley. But ASU inexplicably kept Herm Edwards for another year, so who knows?
I don’t claim to be an insider but I did speak with a booster who certainly has connections within the program. I believe he is reliable and what he told me is the athletic department is currently in shambles and they are trying to clean things up before moving on to hire a new AD. It was unclear exactly what was in shambles. He said he was told it would be into May before they would be in a position to hire a new AD.

Take that for what it’s worth

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The thing is, I’m not so sure they can do better than Bobby Hurley, as bad as that sounds. I’m not so sure that this isn’t the high water mark for ASU basketball. They don’t win conference titles they rarely make the tournament and if they do they are typically a quick out. My opinion is ASU basketball is a wasteland.

As for Frankie Collins, he is, imo, the poster child of making poor shooting and passing decisions. I know some are high on him but I am not.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing is, I’m not so sure they can do better than Bobby Hurley, as bad as that sounds. I’m not so sure that this isn’t the high water mark for ASU basketball. They don’t win conference titles they rarely make the tournament and if they do they are typically a quick out. My opinion is ASU basketball is a wasteland.

As for Frankie Collins, he is, imo, the poster child of making poor shooting and passing decisions. I know some are high on him but I am not.

If I had to make a prediction, if Collins transfers, UCLA will be on the short list. Collins and Tyger Campbell grew up together, had the same workout coach etc. Collins started at Michigan but barely played then went to ASU, so going to UCLA moving to the Big whatever would put him back in the same conference Michigan was in.

Excellent defensive player will be in the running for DPOY.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't even realize this until today. ASU player Jose Perez quit the team after the USC game and missed the UCLA game to go play pro ball in the Dominican Republic.

Not clear why he couldn't wait a few more days but not necessarily anything about Hurley either

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't even realize this until today. ASU player Jose Perez quit the team after the USC game and missed the UCLA game to go play pro ball in the Dominican Republic.

Not clear why he couldn't wait a few more days but not necessarily anything about Hurley either
They talked about it on the radio today. Said he got an offer that was "You must agree to this deal immediately or it will be taken off the table."

He told Hurley he was considering it so it was no surprise.

Here is his statement:

"Dear Sun Devil Nation, I wanted to thank you for embracing me as one of your own the past season. We will always have some unforgettable moments from the season that I will cherish forever. Your unwavering support was always appreciated and you really made me feel like family even though we knew each other for a short time. Due to some personal family circumstances I had to come to the tough decision to get a head start on my journey after college. There are no hard feelings between me and anyone at Arizona State and this was solely my decision to be made. It is what I felt was best for my family at this time. I wish Coach Hurley and my teammates the best of luck as they compete in the Pac-12 tournament and hope they can finish the journey that we started together."

It sounds like he really needed the money.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite the bounce around career.

Gardner-Webb
Gardner-Webb
Manhattan
West Virginia (had to sit for one season, then never played there).
Arizona State
Pro-ball for Plaza Valeria in the Dominican League

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Quite the bounce around career.

Gardner-Webb
Gardner-Webb
Manhattan
West Virginia (had to sit for one season, then never played there).
Arizona State
Pro-ball for Plaza Valeria in the Dominican League
This will be more and more the norm until the transfer portal rules change

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hot TAke! He is as good as they are going to get.
Might as well give him the AD title too.

He probably just went in the empty office and rifled through the files until he found the contract and signed it with a notary at the bank.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the extension should have been pulled from the table, unless it's somehow related to the hire of a new AD.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is true, I’m pretty much done with them. Why would you not welcome the opportunity to play more?
The issue is, again, the transfer portal. All of these programs have players wanting to jump ship. Or, perhaps they think they have a shot at the NBA. So, they would rather not risk injury than play for a NIT trophy. It's like football players and bowl games.

Neal already declared he's leaving.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is true, I’m pretty much done with them. Why would you not welcome the opportunity to play more?
For some of the other schools that declined, they knew they had too many going to the portal, etc.

To me, the portal shouldn't open until after the NCAA Tournament is done.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For some of the other schools that declined, they knew they had too many going to the portal, etc.

To me, the portal shouldn't open until after the NCAA Tournament is done.
Yeah, I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t consider the transfer portal to be an excuse. The pendulum has swung too far. Even if the portal opens later these players know they are transferring at this point any way. Changing the date does nothing.

it has become a clown show and this no regulations, no enforcement environment is making college sports harder and harder to connect and commune with

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And, I’m gonna say it. These players who aren’t willing to play for a title, even a lesser title, makes them gutless babies.

I can actually understand injury issues in football but not in many of these other sports

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you, but for the sake of argument, this school doesn't even have an AD, so how much does the school even care about winning?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson