2024 Free Agency thread

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Very solid group so far. Adds some depth in needed places. Reduces the issues that need to be resolved through the draft. It’s clear they are valuing character and fit very highly. Not certain they’re done with moves yet. Increased likelihood of Brown if he’ll take a one year contract. Wondering if Connor or Mike Williams could be had on a one year deal. Connor maybe 2 year as he’d be mid-season available. I would have passed on Wilkinson & Dallas.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats not how it works. The first rounders will add a little to the cap, but everyone else will just push the 52nd highest contract off the books.
Yeah, you might want to recheck your numbers. We have 4 picks in the top 66 this year.
#4 pick $6.7 million hit
#27 pick $2.5 million hit
#35 pick $1.8 million hit
#66 pick 1.1 million hit

That $12.1 million right there. That's the pool account against the cap.

66 could fall off, but that is still $11 million. Over the cap has the 51st conteact at $915k as of right now.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah, there is a little change at the lower end, but not enough to change that number.
#4 pick $6.7 million hit
#66 pick 1.1 million hot

I mean the bottom line is the Cards still have PLENTY of money to spend/allow @BritCard to spin tales of the value we're rolling into 2025. But that $12 million will be offset by the four lowest contracts among the top 51 players already on the roster. Those contract total $3.65 million. The rest of the rookie class probably won't even count among the top 51 until we get to final cuts.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Howell to Seattle. Guess they have decided where they are going with #2

I'd have rather had Howell than Ridder, but not for the price.

Sensible move for the Seahawks if Geno struggles or ages out.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean the bottom line is the Cards still have PLENTY of money to spend/allow @BritCard to spin tales of the value we're rolling into 2025. But that $12 million will be offset by the four lowest contracts among the top 51 players already on the roster. Those contract total $3.65 million. The rest of the rookie class probably won't even count among the top 51 until we get to final cuts.
No one past the 3rd round will count. And the 3rd may or may not count. They project the pool against the cap based on the current roster today and it can change. But as of this moment, it's $12.1 million becuase the #66 pick is a higher hit than Carter at $915k. We would need to bump all of these guys below the 51 mark for #66 pick to not count. Our low end of the roster is cheap!! I also see many of those guys not making the roster. So, at best, the pool will be $11 millon, instead of $12 million. Minor difference.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ll laugh if the narrative becomes “they can still spend next year!” If that’s an annual rite it means they aren’t spending it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I’ll laugh if the narrative becomes “they can still spend next year!” If that’s an annual rite it means they aren’t spending it.

CHECK OUT THE PLAYERS SCHEDULED FOR FREE AGENCY IN 2025!!!

IT WOULD BE IRRESPONSIBLE TO SIGN [Player X] TODAY WHEN YOU COULD GET MICAH PARSONS/DERRICK BROWN/PATRICK SURTAIN II/ASANTE SAMUEL JR. NEXT YEAR!!!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is the key thing about positional value and "winning" free agency. What's the delta between a guy you're going to get on the first day of free agency and the guy you're going to get in on the third (and after the draft)?

I think the difference is huge at QB (starter and backup), pass rusher, and wide receiver. I think it's pretty minimal at OG, off-ball linebacker, corner, and safety. You're not going to get 4x the production from Patrick Queen than you get from Kyzir White; I think you are between Calvin Ridley and Zach Pascal.

Nothing tells you more about how serious the Cards are about competing for the playoffs more than the backup QB situation. They have plenty of money to invest in a mid-range backup that offers more security than Clayton Tune.
So I was curious and did the homework. The Queen/White to Ridley/Pascal comp doesn’t work.

White makes 36.6% of what Queen will make as an annual average of their contracts ($5M compared to $13.66M)

Pascal makes 9.67% of what Ridley will make as an annual average of their contracts ($2.2 compared to $23.25M).

In order for it to be a fair comparison we have to identify a receiver whose average salary is roughly $8.5M (or 36.6% of Ridley’s). That would be players like Theilen, smith-shuster, or Russell gage. The next closest at $10M (or 43% of Ridley’s comp) is brandin cooks or Tyler Boyd.

Other ILBs that would be in kyzir whites range would be Cole Holcomb, Quincy williams, Alex singleton, Josey singleton, Isaiah Simmons, and David long. If you’re asking “who?” for a lot of those guys, so am I.

In other words, unless you’re jobbing the comparison like lining up kyzir white against Zach pascal, I think the spread in talent is pretty much the same.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Absolutely the Cardinals must sign some more FAs. The Cardinals still have plenty of money to sign FAs this offseason.

I can't imagine not signing at least one or two WRs this FA period. Especially seeing as the Cards don't have a true #1, #2 or #3 on the roster at this time.

Another CB would be nice. Maybe a TE. Some more OL help. Edge rusher.

I'm not expecting a big signing but I do expect a few more mid tier FA signings this offseason. I also could see some extensions for guys like Froholdt, Hernandez or maybe even Connor who are on the final year of their contracts but played well last year.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Yeah, you might want to recheck your numbers. We have 4 picks in the top 66 this year.
#4 pick $6.7 million hit
#66 pick 1.1 million hit

66 could fall off, but that is still $11 million. Over the cap has the 51st conteact at $915k as of right now.

so when they sign each of those top 4 picks, it will push a $900k player out of the top 53

so the $12.1mm above is reduced by $3.6mm (4 x $900k) to get a net cap hit of ~$8.5mm

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely the Cardinals must sign some more FAs. The Cardinals still have plenty of money to sign FAs this offseason.

I can't imagine not signing at least one or two WRs this FA period. Especially seeing as the Cards don't have a true #1, #2 or #3 on the roster at this time.

Another CB would be nice. Maybe a TE. Some more OL help. Edge rusher.

I'm not expecting a big signing but I do expect a few more mid tier FA signings this offseason. I also could see some extensions for guys like Froholdt, Hernandez or maybe even Connor who are on the final year of their contracts but played well last year.
If Wilson isn’t considered at least a legit #3 he’s already a failure. Sheeesh

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But we can’t go out and get one impact player on defense? I just don’t get it.

Or… more… I do get it and I just hate it.

Well poop

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Not saying it would have worked, but if the Cards signed Armstead and Fuller there would be more optimism.

Not that the current players are bad. And those two guys are 29/30 so very risky signings. It just seems like more of the splash we expected going into FA. At least for me.

Maybe Monti just knows better, and those guys are fool's gold.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so when they sign each of those top 4 picks, it will push a $900k player out of the top 53

so the $12.1mm above is reduced by $3.6mm (4 x $900k) to get a net cap hit of ~$8.5mm
Good point, forgot about that part. Whoops!