Napoleon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of like with the Last Duel, it wasn't really what I was expecting, yet I enjoyed it all the same. Sure, I wanted more time on the history and I wanted the battles to be more realistic than just armies fighting exactly the same way as each other, but those are personal preferences and quibbles with Hollywood-ing, which, to be fair, they kind of had to do. I loved the characterization, the depiction of the grossly dysfunctional relationship, and Phoenix was masterful in the role. I enjoyed the movie. Not something with much re-watchability, and not even close to a patch on Gladiator, but well worth the price of admission.
Please tell me they used ABBA in the soundtrack!!!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Destiny has brought me here. Destiny has brought me this lamp chop.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm a lifelong Napoleon buff.

At best this movie is 50% accurate, and frankly laughable at some points.

There are some very good tellings of this story on film but they are in French.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a lifelong Napoleon buff.

At best this movie is 50% accurate, and frankly laughable at some points.
Yes the history of that time is so complicated it would pretty hard to get it all right. Joaquin Phoenix is one of my favorites though.

tennis-player

Veteran
Reaction score
I read a lot of history, and read "Napoleon: A life" by Zamyski, and was fascinated by his portrayal in a great book. I am looking forward to seeing the movie, but do you think I will be disappointed in the movie?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yo Apple… when da f are you gonna drop the 4 hour Ridley cut of this movie on your streaming service. No one’s went to see this movie and no one’s renting it for 20 bucks. Stream that ish already!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read a lot of history, and read "Napoleon: A life" by Zamyski, and was fascinated by his portrayal in a great book. I am looking forward to seeing the movie, but do you think I will be disappointed in the movie?
Cool. Personally, I like most Ridley Scott movies. I saw this the first time in the theater and liked it a lot. On second viewing I can see how someone might not like it. My wife seems to not have liked it as much as I did.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The best book in English that I've read is 'Napoleon Bonaparte' by Alan Schom.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am fascinated by the way Ridley keeps subverting expectations for his last couple historical epics. Makes me more intrigued than ever for Gladiator 2, which on its face sounds like a ridiculous idea.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was this any good? I have heard it's crap to it's good. All over the place.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard