Expect Jacoby Brissett to be game 1 starter

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the last half of the season will be interesting. I'm not expecting much out of the gates with a new regime, new roster, etcetera. The key will be how the team performs down the stretch setting the stage for 2024. If we struggle again in December, ala Kliff Kingsbury, I'll be concerned.
A lot of ifs but if Bidwil spends money on guys that Monti and coaching staff feel are right for their system and Monti and scouting department hit multiple HR's in this year's draft then ARZ could surprise out the gate. To me Bidwill is the key to unlocking it all. Spend money and stop meddling should be his mantra from now on.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I want Minshew so I can dress as him for Halloween, I'll take JB over him in a heartbeat.

This will be my Halloween version

You must be registered for see images attach

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here's why I'd prefer Brissett to Minshew. Jacoby would know and understand that he's a multi-game placeholder only and when Murray is ready, he will be the starter. I think Minshew will be looking for an opportunity to be a full-time starter, if he can...or at least compete to be a full-time starter.

The Cardinals have always treated #1 backups very fairly, IMO....keeping the good ones around for several years, providing that player stability.
Ron, I disagree a little. I think Minshew knows the opp to start is minimial given the current landscape of qb's (and his performance in the NO game didn't booster his case). Brissett's just as likely as he is to want a chance to start IMO, but I think the opportunity to play a large part of the season AS a starter is encouraging and appealing to both.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Can't go into the season thinking Colt will last until Murray gets back, it's just not gonna happen. As far as this Brissett dude goes, if we want him than others want him. Meaning he's going to go where he gets paid the most because he doesn't make the big bucks as far as the NFL is concerned

I play disc golf. Just like ball golf but with frisbees and a lot more weed. The frisbees can get expensive and you want to keep the good ones nice, so you only play them at nice grassy courses. When you go to the hard rocky ass desert courses, the ones that beat your frisbees to hell, you don't bring the good stuff

The quarterbacks are the frisbees and in 2023 the Cardinals are the hard rocky ass desert course

Last edited:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brissett is not even a 500 qb. If we are going to settle for mediocrity, the Cardinals should take a shot at a qb in the later rounds of the draft. I would take a chance at drafting Jake Haener from Fresno State. He put up some impressive numbers during his junior and senior years. He did miss some time during his senior year due to an injury.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Next year is a total wash. May as well start me. But I will say I'm 54 and can't move well. I can read half the field but I have no arm. I have no leadership skills when it comes to leading alpha males. I'm basically Kirk Cousins.
Wait.. so you'll be playing wherever Keim lands?? Lol

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is the scrambling qb backup for colts right? If so not a awful option till cod Murray returns lol jkin on cod

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Ron, I disagree a little. I think Minshew knows the opp to start is minimial given the current landscape of qb's (and his performance in the NO game didn't booster his case). Brissett's just as likely as he is to want a chance to start IMO, but I think the opportunity to play a large part of the season AS a starter is encouraging and appealing to both.
Can't tell who'd be better but there is a case for Brissett and his recent season. I trust if Brissett was chosen he would fit the scheme. I also think of the draft and a qb too. How much of a threat a backup is can be involved as well. Getting a more mobile qb. All predicated on whoever could or could not be bluffing, who's making the decisions, the cap hit/dead money, commitment to KM, etc. It will be something to watch with free agency and the draft approaching.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Brissett is not even a 500 qb. If we are going to settle for mediocrity, the Cardinals should take a shot at a qb in the later rounds of the draft. I would take a chance at drafting Jake Haener from Fresno State. He put up some impressive numbers during his junior and senior years. He did miss some time during his senior year due to an injury.
Putting a late round rookie QB in right away behind this O-line would be nothing short of sacrificial

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It cannot be found, it can be borrowed, and however much you borrow it will still be $3.5m less than it could have been.

But yes, they could restructure him and spread it out.
One of the riddles from "The Hobbit" which never made the cut when Tolkien was doing the riddle game between Gollum and Bilbo... actually, he was tempted to use this one opposed to the famous "what do I have in my pocket?" which causes Gollum to go into hysterics because it's not fair and something to that effect

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Ok, here me out...Instead of signing Brissett or drafting a day 3 QB, to hold the spot of Murray...How about trading a late day 3 pick for Kellen Mond? Kinda serves dual purposes, right? You get a guy familiar with the new offense, instead of Brissett, AND you get a young enough QB who can backup or spot start for several years, or even, potentially, be the man in case Murray doesn't pan out.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ok, here me out...Instead of signing Brissett or drafting a day 3 QB, to hold the spot of Murray...How about trading a late day 3 pick for Kellen Mond? Kinda serves dual purposes, right? You get a guy familiar with the new offense, instead of Brissett, AND you get a young enough QB who can backup or spot start for several years, or even, potentially, be the man in case Murray doesn't pan out.

You must be registered for see images attach

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think if they went the draft route they would want to draft someone with a similar skill set to Kyler no? Otherwise you have to pull out a whole new play book every time Kyler is out.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them go for someone like Dorian Thompson-Robinson. Very mobile, great runner, plays in a pro style offense.

I'm surprised he isn't getting more hype. He's a good runner, good passer, goes through his reads. Not the greatest arm strength but enough.

Last year 3169 yards, 27 TDs, 10 INT's 69.6% comp rate, 645 rushing and 12 rushing TD's. 157.4 passer rating.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ethan Pocic from the Brown's and his connections with Petzing. Probably a more crucial signing than whoever plays QB for us for 6 games.

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ethan Pocic from the Brown's and his connections with Petzing. Probably a more crucial signing than whoever plays QB for us for 6 games.
Lots of connections with Eagles and Browns free agents.

D line players from the Eagles have been mentioned.

The Browns also have offensive line and running back free agents.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can't tell who'd be better but there is a case for Brissett and his recent season. I trust if Brissett was chosen he would fit the scheme. I also think of the draft and a qb too. How much of a threat a backup is can be involved as well. Getting a more mobile qb. All predicated on whoever could or could not be bluffing, who's making the decisions, the cap hit/dead money, commitment to KM, etc. It will be something to watch with free agency and the draft approaching.
Absolute facts. Will be riveting if only to see how Gannon handles this. I don't feel good about it but I'll be dialed in as usual.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not against drafting a qb. In fact at some point I fully expect us to, but are you saying to play a Haener from day 1? I wouldn't MIND that, but I believe it screams "give up" and cats like D-Hop (if here) Budda, and Jalen ain't trying to hear that. The goal, at least from what I gather from Gannon is to push forward and not necessarily treat this like a total rebuild.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned him a while back. Seems to be a perfect fit and now has tied to the staff.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson