Head Coaching Candidates who are NFL Coordinators

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here are 4 guys who should be on the Cards radar if they move away from Kliff:
1. Shane Steichen-Offensive Coordinator Philadelphia Eagles. Steichen has done wonders with Jalen Hurts and also worked with Justin Herbert in 2020.
2. Dan Quinn-Defensive Coordinator Dallas Cowboys. Former Falcons head coach has Cowboys at the top in most defensive categories. Runs a super agressive cover 1 defense most of the time.
3. Ken Dorsey-Offensive Coordinator Buffalo Bills. Has served as both QB coach and Offensive Coordinator. Given props for development of Josh Allen. Former University of Miami QB and back up in NFL.
4. Mike Kafka-Offensive Coordinator New York Giants. Has Giants offense playing Giants type football, heavy run with play action. Works well with Daniel Jones. Served as QB coach in Kansas City from 2018-2021.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
3 & 4 sounds better to me. The Philly OC runs too much RPO for my liking, Kyler isn't tough like Hurts & wouldn't/couldn't take that type of punishment. 2. Dan Quinn, he'd flame out in a few years just like in Atlanta, would love to have him as our DC though.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
3 & 4 sounds better to me. The Philly OC runs too much RPO for my liking, Kyler isn't tough like Hurts & wouldn't/couldn't take that type of punishment. 2. Dan Quinn, he'd flame out in a few years just like in Atlanta, would love to have him as our DC though.
I would agree on 4 if they could get Murray to accept all the offense didn’t have to run through him. Of course to run that offense they’d need a new back, TEs that could block and a retooled O-line. That won’t happen in one year.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kellen Moore (Cowboys), Jonathan Gannon (Eagles), and Raheem Morris (Rams) seems like obvious candidates.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't want some young buck with barely any NFL experience who's had a great year or 2 on a great team.

Because what you get is a coaching staff made up of misfit toys like we have now.

So I'd lean more towards the Dan Quinn types or the McDaniels or McVays who have been position coaches and coordinators for 10 years and have the relationships and connections to put their own staff together. Shane Steichen may fit that mold.

I think Brian Flores deserves another shot. I thought he did well in Miami with what he had and he seems to be a disciplined guy that doesn't take any crap that could sort Kyler out.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brian Callahan is an American football coach who is the offensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League. He previously served as a quarterbacks coach for the Detroit Lions and Oakland Raiders. He also served as an offensive assistant for the Denver Broncos.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brian Callahan is an American football coach who is the offensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League. He previously served as a quarterbacks coach for the Detroit Lions and Oakland Raiders. He also served as an offensive assistant for the Denver Broncos.
Hows that new copy writer gig at wikipedia going?:D

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ll pass on the guy that tried to openly sabotage Tua’s career & wants an offensive system ran stuck in the 90s.

Matter of fact, stay away from Bill Belichick disciples period.

Harry

Reaction score
I don't want some young buck with barely any NFL experience who's had a great year or 2 on a great team.

Because what you get is a coaching staff made up of misfit toys like we have now.

So I'd lean more towards the Dan Quinn types or the McDaniels or McVays who have been position coaches and coordinators for 10 years and have the relationships and connections to put their own staff together. Shane Steichen may fit that mold.

I think Brian Flores deserves another shot. I thought he did well in Miami with what he had and he seems to be a disciplined guy that doesn't take any crap that could sort Kyler out.
Flores makes sense in several ways. He would no command a big contract. The Fins played hard for him, winning with weaker personnel. He’s fundamentally very sound. The question with all these guys is can he get Murray to buy in. I’m not sure any coach can do that with a traditional offense. If they don’t like my Heupel idea, I’d certainly be pleased to see Flores get the nod. I expect the Cards would have to compete with multiple suitors.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You went through this whole exercise and didn’t come across DeMeco Ryans? Wild.
I’m still kind of “eh” on hiring a DC as HC, but the good thing with Demeco is that he would pluck a Shanahan disciple from his staff.

I also think he could turn Zaven into a star.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Flores makes sense in several ways. He would no command a big contract. The Fins played hard for him, winning with weaker personnel. He’s fundamentally very sound. The question with all these guys is can he get Murray to buy in. I’m not sure any coach can do that with a traditional offense. If they don’t like my Heupel idea, I’d certainly be pleased to see Flores get the nod. I expect the Cards would have to compete with multiple suitors.

The key with Flores is that he is an actual good head coach. He's not an "offensive mind" playing at HC. He runs the team on all sides of the ball.

I was impressed with him in Miami. Had 2 winning seasons with a trash roster in a tough division.

And he can call on guys from his Pats, Dolphins and now Steelers experience to build a team.

I'd be more than happy with Flores.

Harry

Reaction score
Reich has some potential as HC, but his success at Indy came from being a contrarian and using a run first offense. The NFL caught up with it and his success ended. I’m not as positive about him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Say no to Dan Quinn. It's rare that a guy gets a second shot at being a HC and they do well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson