Kurt Warner breaks down Kyler vs Saints

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not quite halfway through and its not good so far. I'm shaking my head a lot.

There's good too but then some real head scratchers.

Warner keeps referring to Hopkins helping out his young quarterback. As if Kyler isn't in year 4 and getting top 3 money.

There is a rare sighting of a timing throw where he releases before Hopkins break.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Brit, thanks for posting the video, I learned a lot myself by watching it. Kurt is a master in reading defenses and identifying defenders to key on. Curious about what others on this board (who know Xs and Os way better than I do) think, I believe what Kurt said is way beyond Kyler's understanding of the game at this moment, which is really sad and disappointing as a year 4 franchise QB.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I'm not quite halfway through and its not good so far. I'm shaking my head a lot.

Warner keeps referring to Hopkins helping out his young quarterback. As if Kyler isn't in year 4 and getting top 3 money.

There is a rare sighting of a timing throw where he releases before Hopkins break.

Wow that video is very pro K1 and shows that on at least on 90% of the plays that Hall-of-Famer Kurt Warner analyzed, Kyler read the defense and knew exactly what he was supposed to be doing.

Wow. That is awesome. Gives me lots of hope going forward.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow that video is very pro K1 and shows that on at least on 90% of the plays that Hall-of-Famer Kurt Warner analyzed, Kyler read the defense and knew exactly what he was supposed to be doing.

Wow. That is awesome. Gives me lots of hope going forward.

There were some like that. There was just as many where he missed an obvious read and it led to the loss of a play or 5 yards instead of 15.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Good video. Lots of open guys missed just due to KM not knowing who to read on the defense. Still don't understand why KM doesn't know these things after 4 years in the league...

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Brit, thanks for posting the video, I learned a lot myself by watching it. Kurt is a master in reading defenses and identifying defenders to key on. Curious about what others on this board (who know Xs and Os way better than I do) think, I believe what Kurt said is way beyond Kyler's understanding of the game at this moment, which is really sad and disappointing as a year 4 franchise QB.
Kurt is a master but didn’t see James Harrison drop back…whoops

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Good video. Lots of open guys missed just due to KM not knowing who to read on the defense. Still don't understand why KM doesn't know these things after 4 years in the league...
Maybe if we ask the league to change the names on the back to gamer tags, he’d be elite at reading coverages

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Remind me again how many years of football Kurt HOF Warner played before he became the HOF QB everyone loves? Kurt had to put in crazy work to even get a shot at the NFL and had many many games under his belt before he became the great Warner. K1 still has time to learn, he needs someone else to learn from!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I watched the whole thing I don't think Kurt was nearly as negative on it as you think. There's a few where he says ok he should have taken this out to Rondale or thrown the ball to Eno earlier and hes' 100% right but there wasn't one play that he showed where someone is wide open deep and Kyler took a checkdown which has been a major criticism on this board. There's a bad throw to Eno I mentioned before it's a TD but you could see Kyler waited a hitch because he was trying to get the throwing lane around the DL and also Eno stumbled a bit coming off so Kyler kind of held it and wound up making a bad throw behind Eno or it's a TD.

Definitely we want him to get better but this was a pretty positive video IMO there's a bunch of instances where Kyler made the exact right read and throw. The sack he took Kurt pointed out the ball had to come out to the RB in the flat it didn't and it was a sack, that was bad.

I don't really have a problem with the idea that DHop makes him a better QB he makes everyone better that's why he's a first ballot HOFer. If not for Fitz, DHop would be the best WR in Cardinals history he's that good.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Remind me again how many years of football Kurt HOF Warner played before he became the HOF QB everyone loves? Kurt had to put in crazy work to even get a shot at the NFL and had many many games under his belt before he became the great Warner. K1 still has time to learn, he needs someone else to learn from!
Kurt was a young QB who had only NFL Europe game experience before he took over for Trent Green who suffered a season ending injury during the preseason. KW was so good the offense was given the nickname "Greatest show on turf". So he was great almost immediately.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kurt was a young QB who had only NFL Europe game experience before he took over for Trent Green who suffered a season ending injury during the preseason. KW was so good the offense was given the nickname "Greatest show on turf". So he was great almost immediately.
Lol young? Kurt was 28 I believe when he first started for the rams, and played football for many years in arena leagues and such. So no he want a young qb with little experience! And Kurt had some help with the greatest show on turf HOF help, Faulk, Bruce, Holt and I’m sure I’m forgetting others… Point being Murray is still very young and still has years to learn and grow…

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
These message board takes get old.. I guarantee 90% of the folks who open this thread don’t watch the video and believe what Brit said rather than Russ and Crimsons post here where they actually watched the video and didn’t just read Brits ugly commentary.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
...and a desire to learn and grow. Because it's not always about the teacher. Both are needed.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched the whole thing I don't think Kurt was nearly as negative on it as you think. There's a few where he says ok he should have taken this out to Rondale or thrown the ball to Eno earlier and hes' 100% right but there wasn't one play that he showed where someone is wide open deep and Kyler took a checkdown which has been a major criticism on this board. There's a bad throw to Eno I mentioned before it's a TD but you could see Kyler waited a hitch because he was trying to get the throwing lane around the DL and also Eno stumbled a bit coming off so Kyler kind of held it and wound up making a bad throw behind Eno or it's a TD.

Definitely we want him to get better but this was a pretty positive video IMO there's a bunch of instances where Kyler made the exact right read and throw. The sack he took Kurt pointed out the ball had to come out to the RB in the flat it didn't and it was a sack, that was bad.

I don't really have a problem with the idea that DHop makes him a better QB he makes everyone better that's why he's a first ballot HOFer. If not for Fitz, DHop would be the best WR in Cardinals history he's that good.

I'd say it's 50/50. There is as much "Kyker needs to do this better" as "Kyler did this well".

The problem is, that's nowhere near good enough for me. I don't expect a QB in year 4 who just demanded to get paid top 3 money in the league to be missing the simple reads he misses in this breakdown.

It's also why I have a problem with Kyler only being remotely good with D-Hop playing. I expect a QB being paid $45m to elevate players, not drag himself down to their level. If any QB can play better with D-Hop then we should have signed Mariotta or some other middling QB to do the same thing.

If this breakdown was of rookie Kyler I'd say it was great but not year 4 Kyler.

This feels like when you congratulate 4th grade Johnny for spelling "House" correctly. Everyone else has been doing it since 1st grade but bless him he's doing his best.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These message board takes get old.. I guarantee 90% of the folks who open this thread don’t watch the video and believe what Brit said rather than Russ and Crimsons post here where they actually watched the video and didn’t just read Brits ugly commentary.

Did you actually watch it?

There is as much bad as good. Maybe even more bad.

Seem's the homers are really keying in on the "Kyler did this simple thing well" sections.

There was one great throw in there that wasn't to Hopkins in single coverage and that was the pass to Ertz behind the linebacker.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say it's 50/50. There is as much "Kyker needs to do this better" as "Kyler did this well".

The problem is, that's nowhere near good enough for me. I don't expect a QB in year 4 who just demanded to get paid top 3 money in the league to be missing the simple reads he misses in this breakdown.

It's also why I have a problem with Kyler only being remotely good with D-Hop playing. I expect a QB being paid $45m to elevate players, not drag himself down to their level. If any QB can play better with D-Hop then we should have signed Mariotta or some other middling QB to do the same thing.

If this breakdown was of rookie Kyler I'd say it was great but not year 4 Kyler.

This feels like when you congratulate 4th grade Johnny for spelling "House" correctly. Everyone else has been doing it since 1st grade but bless him he's doing his best.

I guess my point was this wasn't a case of there being guys wide open downfield and Kyler checking down whcih is a common claim here. He missed some open reads and Kurt does a great job of pointing it out. But for the most part Kyler made the read Kurt said he should have.

One point for example everyone excoriated Kyler for throwing the fade to Rondale, not d Hop at the goalline but Kurt actually said Kyler made the correct read, the CB is so far off DHop that he said he would have been "chasing the CB" to get to the fade whereas Rondale had press coverage which is what you want. The probelm was as he said, Rondale dropped the ball(and pushed off).

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Warner does a more succinct job than I did in my thread of saying the Cards need to focus their offense on the throws Murray reads & executes best. You don’t have to do everything well. You just need to do the good stuff more often.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
a few observations on the video:

kurt does a good job explaining concepts -- i need to subscribe.

it seemed like Kyler did a pretty decent job overall -- which matched the eye test. FWIW-- given the quality of the Saints D and the CBs playing: he should have.

one thing the all-22 video shows that gets lost in the still photos: NFL defenders close space at an astonishingly fast pace.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
False.

Kurt sucked in NFLE and learned to read a defense quickly and thread the needle in the Arena League...
Iowa Barnstormers if i recall.

But everyone knows that....

I fell for sarcasm didnt i?

Damn.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson