Official 2019 Free Agency

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)
5/8/19, 12:07 PM
Sources: The #Seahawks have emerged as the front-runner to sign star FA DE Ziggy Ansah. They visited with him in late April and need a big-time pass-rusher after dealing Frank Clark. The contract has not been finalized yet. He also visited with the #Bills, who remain interested.

The Seahawks are one failed draft from being in trouble.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
The Seahawks are one failed draft from being in trouble.
Which could very well be the 2019 draft. They took a limited pass rusher in the 1st. Even before the draft, I had guys like Zach Allen higher than Collier. Then they took a size-speed WR without much college production in the 2nd. Hakeem Butler is by no means a finished WR and raw himself, but he is twice the WR Metcalf is right now. They drafted some unknown defenders along the way, hoping to hit on the next Sherman, Chancellor or Earl Thomas successor. But I like the odds of the Seahawks 2019 class not panning out.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Which could very well be the 2019 draft. They took a limited pass rusher in the 1st. Even before the draft, I had guys like Zach Allen higher than Collier. Then they took a size-speed WR without much college production in the 2nd. Hakeem Butler is by no means a finished WR and raw himself, but he is twice the WR Metcalf is right now. They drafted some unknown defenders along the way, hoping to hit on the next Sherman, Chancellor or Earl Thomas successor. But I like the odds of the Seahawks 2019 class not panning out.

I was thinking the same. I went back and looked at the Seahawks drafts, and the basically had 3 historically good drafts in a row which became the core of their Super Bowl team. Since then, they haven't done nearly as well, which is why their on the field results have suffered. The Cards were a monument to craptacular football last year and they took Seattle to the brink both games.

Frank Clark was one of Seattle's three best football players last year and they traded him from a bunch of meh draft picks. LJ Collier is going to have to step in and play like a top 5 pick to warrant letting Clark go and that's a huge gamble.

Have you watched any of Metcalf's rookie camp highlights that Seattle fans are salivating over? He looks like a damn 5th round TE running routes. He looks stiff and slow, because his speed is straight line and if he has to cut at all, he looks like a 280 lb football player, not like a WR.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hawks having a nice offseason.

Are you serious? They lost their best pass rusher, and replaced him with a has been and a reach (LJ Collier). They let Earl Thomas walk and replaced him with spare parts.

They let their nickel back leave and replaced him with??? They lost their starting guard and replaced him with the corpse of Mike Iupati. Doug Baldwin MIGHT retire and they are counting on DJ Metcalf who cuts about as well as Mike Iupati to replace some of his production.

The Seahawks on paper are a worse football team.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Krang - you are letting your dislike jade you

This is similar to all the sky is falling that went on last year

Then Seattle went out and had yet another winning season

Earl played in 4 games last year - they really didn't have him then. They still have the players who played in his place and added a bunch of competition at that spot.

They are better prepared to play without Earl this year than they were last year.

Justin Coleman did great. He was also a guy Seattle had in their practice squad before NE picked him up. He was a bubble guy to make the roster in NE and Seattle for him for a 7th round draft pick

I'm sure when the move was made he was just spare parts and not some irreplaceable cog that he is now

I have 100% faith that Pete will put together a good secondary. He always has. They've added a bunch of guys with a wide variety of skills. They only need a couple out of that new group and existing group to step up.

I'm a big Frank Clark fan. No way do I give him that contact. Sucks, but not the first or last guy who is productive that you need to let walk. He will be difficult to replace.

The DL as a whole is coming around though.

Shelton will not play that spot/role. He will play a blend of inside/outside similar to how they used Michael Bennett (a guy who had a lot less fanfare coming into the league than Shelton).

Jarren Reed is developing to the most disruptive guy on the line. He'll receive the money Clark isn't making, along with Wagner.

Poona Ford is developing nicely. Naz Jones has some talent, but didn't play much last year.

Ziggy will help when he can play. The contact as I've heard it seems fair (around 8m base with an additional 5m or so in incentives)

Baldwin wasn't healthy last year and wasn't himself. 50 catches, a little over 600 yards and 5 TDs. 3 of the TDs and 200 of the yards came in a 2 game stretch near the end of season when he started to feel a little better..... Before getting sore again to end the season. He missed a few games and was limited in others.

Metcalf won't replace him. He's being brought in to add a different element. He should steal the Jarron Brown looks to start. It's tough to ask a lot of rookie receivers. However, they added a bunch of talent to come in and complete. Lockett is still there coming off a great season. Really won't know what is there until camps and early season, but they are definitely more prepared to not have Baldwin this year compared to last

Sweezy isn't really a loss. He played fine, they have other guys that can play fine.

The questions up front are how does Jamarco Jones look coming off injury. Does Ifedi continue to develop. Does Jordan Simmons or one of the other young guys take a starter role. How does George Fant fit in after a healthy season. How is Will Dissly recovering from him injury and can he play with the promise he showed at the beginning of last year.

They aren't depending on Iupati to be anything other than a guy competing for a spot. They continue to address depth in the line and seem to be having better luck in that regard now that Cable isn't so heavily involved.

They've aggressively added to positions of concern, have put in a map for future years as far as contract priority and have played their hand fairly well

Will it all work out? Probably not. Will enough work out to make this the 8th straight winning season? Maybe. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

I'm hopeful there will be a couple new names you all can't stand by the end of the season.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Krang - you are letting your dislike jade you

This is similar to all the sky is falling that went on last year

Then Seattle went out and had yet another winning season

Earl played in 4 games last year - they really didn't have him then. They still have the players who played in his place and added a bunch of competition at that spot.

They are better prepared to play without Earl this year than they were last year.

Justin Coleman did great. He was also a guy Seattle had in their practice squad before NE picked him up. He was a bubble guy to make the roster in NE and Seattle for him for a 7th round draft pick

I'm sure when the move was made he was just spare parts and not some irreplaceable cog that he is now

I have 100% faith that Pete will put together a good secondary. He always has. They've added a bunch of guys with a wide variety of skills. They only need a couple out of that new group and existing group to step up.

I'm a big Frank Clark fan. No way do I give him that contact. Sucks, but not the first or last guy who is productive that you need to let walk. He will be difficult to replace.

The DL as a whole is coming around though.

Shelton will not play that spot/role. He will play a blend of inside/outside similar to how they used Michael Bennett (a guy who had a lot less fanfare coming into the league than Shelton).

Jarren Reed is developing to the most disruptive guy on the line. He'll receive the money Clark isn't making, along with Wagner.

Poona Ford is developing nicely. Naz Jones has some talent, but didn't play much last year.

Ziggy will help when he can play. The contact as I've heard it seems fair (around 8m base with an additional 5m or so in incentives)

Baldwin wasn't healthy last year and wasn't himself. 50 catches, a little over 600 yards and 5 TDs. 3 of the TDs and 200 of the yards came in a 2 game stretch near the end of season when he started to feel a little better..... Before getting sore again to end the season. He missed a few games and was limited in others.

Metcalf won't replace him. He's being brought in to add a different element. He should steal the Jarron Brown looks to start. It's tough to ask a lot of rookie receivers. However, they added a bunch of talent to come in and complete. Lockett is still there coming off a great season. Really won't know what is there until camps and early season, but they are definitely more prepared to not have Baldwin this year compared to last

Sweezy isn't really a loss. He played fine, they have other guys that can play fine.

The questions up front are how does Jamarco Jones look coming off injury. Does Ifedi continue to develop. Does Jordan Simmons or one of the other young guys take a starter role. How does George Fant fit in after a healthy season. How is Will Dissly recovering from him injury and can he play with the promise he showed at the beginning of last year.

They aren't depending on Iupati to be anything other than a guy competing for a spot. They continue to address depth in the line and seem to be having better luck in that regard now that Cable isn't so heavily involved.

They've aggressively added to positions of concern, have put in a map for future years as far as contract priority and have played their hand fairly well

Will it all work out? Probably not. Will enough work out to make this the 8th straight winning season? Maybe. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

I'm hopeful there will be a couple new names you all can't stand by the end of the season.

My point is mainly that it wasn't a good offseason for Seattle. It wasn't. Very little positive outside of resigning Russell Wilson.

I agree, that Carroll will put together a good secondary, but the results haven't been the same minus Sherman, Chancellor, and Thomas. According to Football Outsiders, 14th ranked, worse than the Cardinals were. And they have lost a good nickel corner. Sure, there are improvements that can be made by young players like Griffin, but that's no guarantee.

I agree, it was a bit pricey to pay Clark, but Clark is one of the most disruptive players in the NFL and that isn't something that's easy to replace.

Sweezy had the best year of his career and he was one of the reasons the OL played pretty well. Not a huge loss, but offensive line continuity is a big factor in their success. I do agree, Cable was NOT good at identifying talent. Maybe he can coach, but my god, he was awful at picking guys.

Looking back on the Seahawks history over the past decade, and clearly, the strength of the team was really built on three spectacularly good drafts, but since then, there have been A LOT more misses than hits. Can that trend continue?

I agree that you can't count out the Seahawks, but how many iffy moves can they get past?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I think it was a solid off-season.

If Clark was consistently disruptive he would have gotten that contact from Seattle. He was very disruptive in spurts, but could be neutralized frequently as well.

That wasn't the best season of Sweezy, but he played solid.

When Seattle picked him up last August, no one was really crowing how great of a move it was or that Seattle was doing anything to improve their line. Now it's supposed to be a huge loss? Narratives are funny like that.

The staff and community love Sweezy and they let him walk. Which makes me think they see value on what is currently on the team. We'll see though.

Jury is out on last years draft. Penny did fine. Rasheem Green is a really good athlete and flashed a little last year, but needs to develop. He should get some of Clark's reps.

Dissly looked really good, but had a rough injury.

Jamarco Jones had favorable early reviews and had a really rough injury.

Dickson played well. Jacob Martin showed really good pass rush ability and played a lot. Tre Flowers did alright in the second. Griffin was mostly special teams and has a large number of players competing in a similar role.

2017 they grabbed Chris Carson who had run well. Griffin who is a legit starting corner. David Moore had some catches at the beginning of the year, but faded as Baldwin worked back in and defenses accounted for him. Pocic is deep OL depth. Darboh hasn't been heathy at WR. Tedric Thompson got a lot of work at S, but the team isn't convinced there. Naz Jones has flashed on the DL.

However, a pair of legit starters and a couple backups isn't a bad class.

16 has Jarran Reed who is an absolute hit. Ifedi is up and down, but a starter on the OL coming off a decent year. Jefferson is good DL depth and had 3 sacks last year. I'm not sold on Vannett and Prosise is permanently injured. Collins had played well for the Ravens......

If Ifedi develops into a keeper to go with Reed and Jefferson this could be a good draft.

15 they grabbed Clark and Lockett. Clark is gone. They also grabbed Glowinski who started and played well in the OL for the colts last year, but didn't show much under Cable.

14 they grabbed their starting center and Paul Richardson was ok.

13 was a bust

So while they haven't had the transcendent drafts that they had early, after a couple busts/poor result years their drafts have been good. Getting a couple starters and backups out of them

When they first started their picks were a little higher. Earl Thomas types are well off the board.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Baldwin (and Chancellor) both officially released from contracts. They held Kam last year knowing he wouldn't play again, so this wasn't a surprise.

The Baldwin stuff all happened quickly, but from my understanding is a win/win at this point if Doug can't go. He gets to keep his bonuses and some additional funds vs retiring and Seattle gets some better long term cap results.

Definitely sad for us hawk fans as they were both fan favorites.

Seattle also grabbed a FB and G today. They are being much smarter with timing the churn for compensatory picks than they have in the past. Right now they are looking to be around +4 next draft.... This year they entered the draft with only 4 picks. Another reason us hawk fans feel fairly good about the off-season

Looking back at iffy moves, I think the ones that really hurt were deals like trading for Harvin and Graham, which both cost draft capital, players, cascading impact (State leaving in FA, etc)

Also, there have been some expensive misses on FA (Cary Williams at close to $4m, Luke Joeckel at $8m the same season they didn't have the money to spend on the kicker Hauschka), etc

I think the record on those swings and misses outweigh their drafting as far as negative impact

Also some really bad luck with injuries (Avril, Earl and Sherman were near the ends of their deals, Kam was not and that was a cap hurter). The career ending injuries to Avril and Kam were both pretty fortuitous. Sherm blowing both Achilles and Earl breaking his leg twice is also a bit unlucky.

That is also a large part of guessing how teams will do. Injuries happen, just need them to happen in the right places to make it easier to overcome.

I think every fanbase has lived through the area with questionable depth see all the injuries land on that one spot.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Brett Tessler (@TesslerSports)
5/11/19, 1:38 PM
Happy to announce that Mike Remmers just agreed in principle to a deal with the New York Giants and is looking forward to moving back to his natural position of right tackle. His last 2 seasons playing that position he helped his teams to a Super Bowl and a NFC Championship game.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Baldwin (and Chancellor) both officially released from contracts. They held Kam last year knowing he wouldn't play again, so this wasn't a surprise.

The Baldwin stuff all happened quickly, but from my understanding is a win/win at this point if Doug can't go. He gets to keep his bonuses and some additional funds vs retiring and Seattle gets some better long term cap results.

Definitely sad for us hawk fans as they were both fan favorites.

Seattle also grabbed a FB and G today. They are being much smarter with timing the churn for compensatory picks than they have in the past. Right now they are looking to be around +4 next draft.... This year they entered the draft with only 4 picks. Another reason us hawk fans feel fairly good about the off-season

Looking back at iffy moves, I think the ones that really hurt were deals like trading for Harvin and Graham, which both cost draft capital, players, cascading impact (State leaving in FA, etc)

Also, there have been some expensive misses on FA (Cary Williams at close to $4m, Luke Joeckel at $8m the same season they didn't have the money to spend on the kicker Hauschka), etc

I think the record on those swings and misses outweigh their drafting as far as negative impact

Also some really bad luck with injuries (Avril, Earl and Sherman were near the ends of their deals, Kam was not and that was a cap hurter). The career ending injuries to Avril and Kam were both pretty fortuitous. Sherm blowing both Achilles and Earl breaking his leg twice is also a bit unlucky.

That is also a large part of guessing how teams will do. Injuries happen, just need them to happen in the right places to make it easier to overcome.

I think every fanbase has lived through the area with questionable depth see all the injuries land on that one spot.

That receiving corps is a massive question mark, but in years past at least the Seahawks had Baldwin as a security blanket. Lockett is a decent player, but he hasn't been consistent throughout his career.

IMO I would love to see the NFL end the compensatory scam right now, because it helps teams that let talent walk. If I'm the NFLPA I push the league to get rid of it.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That receiving corps is a massive question mark, but in years past at least the Seahawks had Baldwin as a security blanket. Lockett is a decent player, but he hasn't been consistent throughout his career.

IMO I would love to see the NFL end the compensatory scam right now, because it helps teams that let talent walk. If I'm the NFLPA I push the league to get rid of it.

at least not compensatory in the third round

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Definitely a question mark, but don't undersell Lockett

He's really good.

Rookie season he was Bevelled a little bit as the ex-OC didn't realize he was a receiver and not just a returner until the end of camp

He then had some massive leg injuries - fought back from them, but that is his question mark

Needs to stay healthy, everything else is there - very twitchy, great routes, great hands, speed .... All that can get his legs a bit vulnerable

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I wonder if compensatory formulas will start to freeze the market a little where the players behind the top tier sit to game the formula - a quite collusion

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson