2019 Draft Prospects...

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Barkley was listed at 6' 6", 252, and if that number was even close to right, it was when he was at his most svelte. And we know he wasn't 6' 6". It's easy for me to believe that Williamson is 280+.

Didn't Barkley readily admit he was around 300 during his later Philadelphia days?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. and he's always been "doughy." There are different body types out there, and Zion just looks like someone who is built like a tank. I don't think he has much weight to lose.

That said, one poster had a legitimate concern about how his weight is likely to make rehabbing an injury.

Jokic is one of those body types that leans toward doughy except he is a monster on the court. He is only listed at 7 foot and 250 pounds though.

I'd be interested to know Zion's body fat percentage. It would tell a lot about his ideal playing weight.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zion is a cheat week away from 3 bills.

Yeah that's always the concern with knee injuries you gain weight and the rehab and recovery is so much worse. he's so young he might be ok even if he does need surgery but you certainly hope he doesn't.

I actually agreed with Bilas last night I don't think Duke's players really recovered from that injury until the 2nd half I think they were still dealing with the fallout of it and the man that could be me aspect of it.

I don't totally agree but several NBA guys were tweeting last night this is why college players should get paid. They can get insurance, we already know they get paid you can Book that, but I do agree a kid like Zion is risking LOTS of money every time he suits up for Duke.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah that's always the concern with knee injuries you gain weight and the rehab and recovery is so much worse. he's so young he might be ok even if he does need surgery but you certainly hope he doesn't.

I actually agreed with Bilas last night I don't think Duke's players really recovered from that injury until the 2nd half I think they were still dealing with the fallout of it and the man that could be me aspect of it.

I don't totally agree but several NBA guys were tweeting last night this is why college players should get paid. They can get insurance, we already know they get paid you can Book that, but I do agree a kid like Zion is risking LOTS of money every time he suits up for Duke.

I wanted to see how Naz Little would look vs two elite wings but I forgot he played for UNC and only got 11 minutes last night.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Free injury insurance for players would be nice based upon future earnings if paid by the colleges. I suspect it would open Pandora's box for all athletes and perhaps students as well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So I am not as sold on Zion as most people are, but I am not sure that he is overweight. He looks like a freak of nature, not a chubby kid like Barkley was. I admit, I haven't watched him play a whole lot, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. 40lb is a lot to lose when you are not chubby.
Agreed. For a long time I’ve been saying the kid isn’t overweight he’s just a physical freak of nature. I don’t think he could get to 240 if wanted to!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Free injury insurance for players would be nice based upon future earnings if paid by the colleges. I suspect it would open Pandora's box for all athletes and perhaps students as well.

They are allowed to take out insurance policies. I forget the rule but I think it's based on draft projection so Zion certainly would have qualified. But the policies are nowhere near what they're risking. Ayton was nearly 18 million the first 2 years of his deal for example and that's guaranteed. I think the insurance policies are less than 2 million IIRC. That's a HUGE difference in money if a kid gets hurt. Now this comes up every year and has for ages and you can count on one hand the number of kids who actually did get hurt and blew their career. The one that always comes up is Ronnie Lester of Iowa and that might have been 25 years ago now, maybe more. But if you're the one it happens to, you don't care how rare it is.

So I somewhat agree with Donovan Mitchell and others they need a better deal, but again we also have no idea how much they already get. Remember Zion was specifically mentioned in the FBI trial of Jim Gatto, his dad asked Kansas for employment, a place to live, and money, and the Kansas assistant essentially said it was something that could probably be worked out he'd have to look into it. I don't think he meant a house more like a rental but still that's money that's not being accounted for

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now this comes up every year and has for ages and you can count on one hand the number of kids who actually did get hurt and blew their career. The one that always comes up is Ronnie Lester of Iowa and that might have been 25 years ago now, maybe more. But if you're the one it happens to, you don't care how rare it is.

So I somewhat agree with Donovan Mitchell and others they need a better deal, but again we also have no idea how much they already get. Remember Zion was specifically mentioned in the FBI trial of Jim Gatto, his dad asked Kansas for employment, a place to live, and money, and the Kansas assistant essentially said it was something that could probably be worked out he'd have to look into it. I don't think he meant a house more like a rental but still that's money that's not being accounted for

A lot more. Remember, that's under Lute Olson while he was the Coach in Iowa so it's early 80's at the latest.

Edit: It was the 79-80 season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are allowed to take out insurance policies. I forget the rule but I think it's based on draft projection so Zion certainly would have qualified. But the policies are nowhere near what they're risking. Ayton was nearly 18 million the first 2 years of his deal for example and that's guaranteed. I think the insurance policies are less than 2 million IIRC. That's a HUGE difference in money if a kid gets hurt. Now this comes up every year and has for ages and you can count on one hand the number of kids who actually did get hurt and blew their career. The one that always comes up is Ronnie Lester of Iowa and that might have been 25 years ago now, maybe more. But if you're the one it happens to, you don't care how rare it is.

I'm talking about the colleges paying for the insurance. I've read there are some schools doing it. Also it can be used as a recruiting tool.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about the colleges paying for the insurance. I've read there are some schools doing it. Also it can be used as a recruiting tool.

It's an NCAA program so I thought the schools did pay for it but maybe I am wrong on that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an NCAA program so I thought the schools did pay for it but maybe I am wrong on that.

My understanding some schools are paying for the insurance. We are probably agreeing with each other.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He suffered a grade 1 sprain so not a big deal but since it is a knee injury with a guy that size he's most likely not going to be allowed to play until the tournament, if he wants to that is

Yeah he could be the first kid we see in hoops do what the college football guys are doing and sit out. I wouldn't blame him at all. I bet he plays because they have a chance to win a Natty, but I would not fault him one bit if he opts to sit out.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
If I were Zion there isn't a chance in hell I'd step back on the court. Your one blown shoe away from losing hundreds of millions of dollars.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd sit out if I was Zion. The ability to earn millions versus playing for free.

I'm not familiar with this but if he sits out right now, will he still be eligible for the draft?

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
If i am Zion, I play. I mean how many people get to play in a sweet 16, an elite 8, possibly the final four? If Zion, blows out an ACL, he will still be the #1 pick in the draft. College is the best time of anyone's life regardless if you are a one and done.

Sure, i understand the financial side of the argument. But boy, it would be hard for any person to sit out march madness when your team has a chance to win it all, solely because you had a freak injury which has amounted to being less severe than a sprained ankle.

Doesn't play= #1 pick
Play= #1 pick

I think ZW is not from the same mold as a lot of these entitled young phenoms. No chance he doesn't play to help his freshman boys become one of the best college basketball teams ever.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
If i am Zion, I play. I mean how many people get to play in a sweet 16, an elite 8, possibly the final four? If Zion, blows out an ACL, he will still be the #1 pick in the draft. College is the best time of anyone's life regardless if you are a one and done.

Sure, i understand the financial side of the argument. But boy, it would be hard for any person to sit out march madness when your team has a chance to win it all, solely because you had a freak injury which has amounted to being less severe than a sprained ankle.

Doesn't play= #1 pick
Play= #1 pick

I think ZW is not from the same mold as a lot of these entitled young phenoms. No chance he doesn't play to help his freshman boys become one of the best college basketball teams ever.

Good point but I'm still not playing.....

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zion shouldn’t get back on the court unless a College title is a must for his own personal goals.