2018 2nd round pick is Christian Kirk

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That was before my time of following the draft closely but just seeing pics of that dude in college and his production/accolades:

He switched from defensive tackle to left defensive end for his senior season, registering 59 tackles, 19 tackles for a loss and 16 quarterback sacks, placing him second in both categories in the school's all-time records. One of four finalists for the Lombardi Award, he was named first-team All-ACC and a consensus first-team All-American. He was also selected ACC Player of the Year, and ACC Defensive Player of the year in 1997.

————

Also ran a 4.65 and had a 38.5 vertical at 278 lbs. He was basically Jadeveon Clowney.
No one has ever questioned his credentials. I think the only question was whether the cards front office had info about his knee and ignored it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kirk is going to be a good NFL player. Keim does a good job when he doesn't over think things...draft big time players from big schools who love football.
I think this can be applied to a lot of areas of being a GM or coach. It is what drove me crazy about the David Johnson usage. If the worse thing a player does is run up the middle, it is stupid to ask him to do that most often.

I also believe Kirk will get better as he is able to run more routes out of the slot. It will make him more difficult to cover.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Man, N'Keal Harry would look good on the other side of Kirk next year. That USC catch is the catch of the year in my eyes. I know the knock on Harry is will he be able to get separation from NFL DB's, I think he will.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think this can be applied to a lot of areas of being a GM or coach. It is what drove me crazy about the David Johnson usage. If the worse thing a player does is run up the middle, it is stupid to ask him to do that most often.

I also believe Kirk will get better as he is able to run more routes out of the slot. It will make him more difficult to cover.

The sad part about how the offense is managed is that McCoy claimed to be a guy that his system was created around the strengths of his players. From the detritus we saw for almost half a season, this was clearly NOT the case.

I've never been a fan of running receivers short of the sticks all of the time and expecting it to work. It can work if your receivers are athletic, YAC kind of guys, but the Cardinals haven't shown that kind of ability at all.

I might get some flak for this, but my favorite Cardinals passing system was the one used by Haley. The Cardinals were so difficult to stop, using all of those bunch formations. Arians was much better at creating a run game though, so I give his offense an overall edge.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Man, N'Keal Harry would look good on the other side of Kirk next year. That USC catch is the catch of the year in my eyes. I know the knock on Harry is will he be able to get separation from NFL DB's, I think he will.

I LOVE WRs. Probably my favorite position, and the Cardinals have had a slew of good ones over the years. If the Cardinals get a trade down opportunity, I'd be very tempted to take Harry. I think he's going to be very good. I think it was Graham who said that Harry is the best player to come through Tempe in a long time, and I certainly agree. But I thought Jaelen Strong was going to be good, so I do have some doubts...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I LOVE WRs. Probably my favorite position, and the Cardinals have had a slew of good ones over the years. If the Cardinals get a trade down opportunity, I'd be very tempted to take Harry. I think he's going to be very good. I think it was Graham who said that Harry is the best player to come through Tempe in a long time, and I certainly agree. But I thought Jaelen Strong was going to be good, so I do have some doubts...

I'm as big of a fan of Harry as anyone. He is a freakish talent with superior hands/catching ability. My concerns however, are: While he is fast, he isn't "quick." At 6'4" and 225 pounds, he is a very big WR...almost a tweener between a WR and TE. I wonder how effective he can be at the next level, where every DB he'll be up against will be faster/quicker than him, and all possessing NFL skill-level with regard to coverage ability.
He is an incredible collegiate athlete... but I do wonder if he would be able to come anywhere close to his performance/production at ASU when he hits the NFL...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm as big of a fan of Harry as anyone. He is a freakish talent with superior hands/catching ability. My concerns however, are: While he is fast, he isn't "quick." At 6'4" and 225 pounds, he is a very big WR...almost a tweener between a WR and TE. I wonder how effective he can be at the next level, where every DB he'll be up against will be faster/quicker than him, and all possessing NFL skill-level with regard to coverage ability.
He is an incredible collegiate athlete... but I do wonder if he would be able to come anywhere close to his performance/production at ASU when he hits the NFL...

Well my answer to this concern, and this is where scouts have an edge, is that he can overcome the quickness deficit by running good routes.

That's what made Larry Fitz a legend, he just worked harder than anyone.

If the team was to draft Harry, it would be a good idea to have Harry be mentored by Larry, even if he is no longer on the team. Also having Kirk as a sidekick will help, because from all indicators, Kirk is a real hard worker as well.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Well my answer to this concern, and this is where scouts have an edge, is that he can overcome the quickness deficit by running good routes.

That's what made Larry Fitz a legend, he just worked harder than anyone.

If the team was to draft Harry, it would be a good idea to have Harry be mentored by Larry, even if he is no longer on the team. Also having Kirk as a sidekick will help, because from all indicators, Kirk is a real hard worker as well.

For sure... If he can become a master route-runner, while being mentored by Fitz, there is no telling how great he can become in the NFL.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

I found it interested that Harry is rarely double covered or has a safety over the top. Then I realized that Harry struggles to get separation from corners. His body control, hands, and YAC are amazing, but I could see him dropping out of the first round if scouts see what I'm seeing. That said, I wouldn't mind him in the 2nd round. In the first, we'd have to trade down far down to get to him.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I found it interested that Harry is rarely double covered or has a safety over the top. Then I realized that Harry struggles to get separation from corners. His body control, hands, and YAC are amazing, but I could see him dropping out of the first round if scouts see what I'm seeing. That said, I wouldn't mind him in the 2nd round. In the first, we'd have to trade down far down to get to him.
I agree...90% of the time he is completely unremarkable.

reminds me more of nkemdiche than Fitzgerald.... right now I see him as amari cooper,,,,will have great catches, great games,...then disappear for three games in a row.

first round talent but not a first round player

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Few big receivers get great separation in college. He obviously has the physical tools, just needs better coaching.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I might get some flak for this, but my favorite Cardinals passing system was the one used by Haley. The Cardinals were so difficult to stop, using all of those bunch formations. Arians was much better at creating a run game though, so I give his offense an overall edge.

And by Haley, you mean Warner... He was last QB we had who regularly audibled out of stupid calls, or had the sense to read the defense, and make the proper read.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
And by Haley, you mean Warner... He was last QB we had who regularly audibled out of stupid calls, or had the sense to read the defense, and make the proper read.

Right, but read what Warner said about Haley and his offense...and looked at what Been did with the same offense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson