Ray Horton out, Todd Bowles in as Cardinals DC

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
and more so -- a guy who would likely leave after the 2013 season because he was passed over

I thought about that also but if he stays the D is likely still strong enough to keep the Cards in games and give BA time to work on the offense without 2013 possibly turning into 2000 or 2003.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am on the edge of divorcing this team for good...the team is lost of you ask me..... I'm gonna have to see the,light here and I've been a diehard since I was.seven...right now MB gets my big middle finger! So irate right now. ****ing Jerks.

This is the same initial reaction I have too. I am so glad I picked up soccer to watch.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I agree. The problem is that even with dramatic improvement from the O & steady play from the D, we may still lose 5 games within our division.
With improved offense and steady defense the only games that are unlikely wins are @Seattle and @SF otherwise the other 4 will be highly winnable games. Unless the Rams make even more improvement next year in which the @STL game would be tough as well. Still that would be a legitimate chance at 3-3 and if they happen to put a good game together in one of those road games they could come away with a win and go 4-2. All of that would be under the assumption that the offense improves and the defense remains pretty good.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With improved offense and steady defense the only games that are unlikely wins are @Seattle and @SF otherwise the other 4 will be highly winnable games. Unless the Rams make even more improvement next year in which the @STL game would be tough as well. Still that would be a legitimate chance at 3-3 and if they happen to put a good game together in one of those road games they could come away with a win and go 4-2. All of that would be under the assumption that the offense improves and the defense remains pretty good.
Scoping out future wins off schedule strength usually proves wrong. (If you throw in the towel before the season even begins, you'll likely miss out on a few opportunities that could very well get you into the playoffs).

Every game starts out 0 to 0. Division game or otherwise, every game in the 16 game schedule = every other game. Suit up, play each game and let the chips fall.

Otherwise, what's the point?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Wikapedia has listed at the bottom of its Bowles resume that he became Cardinal DC as of Jan. 18. No corroboration; I saw it on Wikapedia at 8:30 am ET today.

I also did some additional digging on Philly's defensive problems this year. Although there are always more than one side to each story, the impression I got was:

- Jim Johnson's tragic death left a void (Reid trusted him to run the defense).

- Reid filled the void by hiring an offensive line coach Juan Castillo as DC. It didn't work out so well and Andy fired Castillo 6 games into the season. (The Eagle defense kept blowing early leads).

- Reid replaced Castillo with his secondary coach, Todd Bowles.

- But instead of letting Bowles do his own thing, Andy insisted on bringing in Jim Washburn as D-Line along with a controversial Wide-9 defensive scheme.

- The Wide-9 wasn't all that effective and Washburn was described by some as a "cancer in the lockerroom."

- Washburn was relieved of his duties with 4 games left, and Bowles was allowed to run the defense and (despite what W & L scores might tell you) at least made the defense stable (# of sacks showed improvement).

- Almost all all of Bowles' pro coaching background has been as a DB coach. He interviewed for the open Temple HC post in the offseason. He was described in one Philly newspaper account prior to last season as a "hot" coaching prospect.

That's all I got. If you have access to videos the last Philly regular season games (to see how their defense did), those videos may be just as interesting as watching videos of Draft prospects.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Scoping out future wins off schedule strength usually proves wrong. (If you throw in the towel before the season even begins, you'll likely miss out on a few opportunities that could very well get you into the playoffs).

Every game starts out 0 to 0. Division game or otherwise, every game in the 16 game schedule = every other game. Suit up, play each game and let the chips fall.

Otherwise, what's the point?
That's kinda my point. All of the games at home against division opponents are absolutely winnable and the games @SF and SEA are unlikely, but even those are still possibilities.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
That's kinda my point. All of the games at home against division opponents are absolutely winnable and the games @SF and SEA are unlikely, but even those are still possibilities.

Sure are. Cards were 4-2 in the Division in 2011. So you never know.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Fun read. I remember this thread pretty vividly. Even though I didn't post I was very much pro Horton at the time.

Thought some perspective may be warranted may be in order based on the reactions to some of the hires announced for Kingsbury's staff so far.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
i'm glad i didn't post here at the time, because i was bummed to be losing horton for a guy who ba "promised a job if he ever got a HC gig" funny to read all the pissed off posts

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We were an optimistic bunch then as well :D

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Agreed. Without Horton.

Next year is 2-14. Gonna have to hope for Bridgewater in 2014, and some success that year.

Without Horton, it is gonna get ugly....really ugly.

Nothing we have never seen before......just gotta hope it is like the 2011 Colts, and not the 2000 Cardinals.

At least you're consistent Rugby! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson