Rockies at DBacks Series

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Meanwhile the Rockies have 7 hits, 3 of them doubles, and 2 runs thru 4... And we can't even get w ball out of the infield... Damn...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I have to side with 82 on this issue. I have been around a long time and I know how important stats are in baseball. But something is wrong with Goldy. Anyone who watches the games can see it. Yeah, stats are OK, but something is going on there. I don't pretend to know what the problem is, but you can see something is wrong there. The pitching is not causing him to look lost at the plate, IMHO.

It's hard to believe his issues can only be between his ears. I guess it could be, but I'm guessing something is wrong physically and he's just trying to power thru it...

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Thank God a single for Goldie. That's what I want to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm telling you guys, nothing is wrong with him. IMO you all are ridiculously over analyzing it and putting way too much weight in batting average. If he was hitting .290 but with a .330 batting average I suspect many of you would feel he was hitting really well when in fact those numbers are significantly worse than what he is currently doing.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm telling you guys, nothing is wrong with him. IMO you all are ridiculously over analyzing it and putting way too much weight in batting average. If he was hitting .290 but with a .330 batting average I suspect many of you would feel he was hitting really well when in fact those numbers are significantly worse than what he is currently doing.
With his single tonight, Goldie's batting average is up to .241. His on-base percentage is .423 which, on the surface, sounds great.

For a leadoff hitter, great. For a middle-of-the-lineup hitter, leading the league in walks, not so good. Especially when the rest of his performance is sub par.

Since the second half of last season, Goldy at bat has not been Goldy. D-backs fans have a right to be concerned.

If you think that is ridiculous, OK, but some of us don't.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

This. Hitting for power and getting on base. Plus it's freaking April 30th.

OP
OP
AZ Native

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Drury is gonna be a beast!

Got him for a buck on my fantasy team, from Grants Pass, Oregon, when my son just moved near. But more importantly, he is willing to play most every position to get at bats and help this team win.

OP
OP
AZ Native

AZ Native

Reaction score

I'm not looking at batting average, just how he does not look like Goldy at the plate. I never over analyze, but I can see something is wrong there. My wife can see it.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With his single tonight, Goldie's batting average is up to .241. His on-base percentage is .423 which, on the surface, sounds great.

For a leadoff hitter, great. For a middle-of-the-lineup hitter, leading the league in walks, not so good. Especially when the rest of his performance is sub par.

Since the second half of last season, Goldy at bat has not been Goldy. D-backs fans have a right to be concerned.

If you think that is ridiculous, OK, but some of us don't.

Except that his slugging percentage is also really good, on pace for 37 home runs, his career high is 36... but yeah, those I suppose are "leadoff" numbers.

Goldy is putting up all-star numbers, right now, despite his batting average all his other stats and his overall numbers are superb. He isn't doing what he did the first few months of last year, true, but he has NEVER sustained those types of stats.

Pitching is our problem. We've scored a ton of runs, we have given up the 2nd most runs in the NL... griping that our best hitter is not putting up his career rate in BA (while exceeding his stats in most other categories) is inane.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not looking at batting average, just how he does not look like Goldy at the plate. I never over analyze, but I can see something is wrong there. My wife can see it.

And I think if he was doing the exact same routine he is doing at the plate but had a mere 4 more hits on the season (which would put his BA at nearly .300) people would just marvel at his patience at the plate.

IMO you guys are looking at the batting average (an overrated stat) and looking for an explanation for what you perceive to be a problem... when there isn't a problem, with how good he is doing across the board his BA is bound to go up on its own, without any adjustments. He is going through the same routine he has throughout the last few years, only ATM its yielding less singles, many more walks and the rest of the numbers are about the same. As his sample size increases I expect his BA will go up, his OBP will go down.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok all set up for GOLDY to walk it off in the bottom of the 9th.

In other news shouldn't BA be working on draft stuff?

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
AZ Native

AZ Native

Reaction score
And I think if he was doing the exact same routine he is doing at the plate but had a mere 4 more hits on the season (which would put his BA at nearly .300) people would just marvel at his patience at the plate.

IMO you guys are looking at the batting average (an overrated stat) and looking for an explanation for what you perceive to be a problem... when there isn't a problem, with how good he is doing across the board his BA is bound to go up on its own, without any adjustments. He is going through the same routine he has throughout the last few years, only ATM its yielding less singles, many more walks and the rest of the numbers are about the same. As his sample size increases I expect his BA will go up, his OBP will go down.

I don't know how else to tell you I am not looking at his bating average. To me he looks lost at the plate. Why can't you understand that? It is obvious to anyone watching him. I am not talking about stats, but rather how he looks lost at the plate. He is Goldy, his stats will be there. But something is wrong. Hopefully, it is temporary.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Hey, he got another single!

We knew Ziegler's ERA wouldn't stay so low all year, especially with how many people he leaves on base. I'm really getting tired of losing to the Rockies though. Hopefully Miller can keep it together for a full start tomorrow.

Positive spin on what has been an awful season thus far: With our starters pitching so poorly, we've had a lot of young pitchers gain some major league experience. A.J. Pollock's injury is also opening up opportunities.

OP
OP
AZ Native

AZ Native

Reaction score
Hey, he got another single!

We knew Ziegler's ERA wouldn't stay so low all year, especially with how many people he leaves on base. I'm really getting tired of losing to the Rockies though. Hopefully Miller can keep it together for a full start tomorrow.

Positive spin on what has been an awful season thus far: With our starters pitching so poorly, we've had a lot of young pitchers gain some major league experience. A.J. Pollock's injury is also opening up opportunities.

Especially for Drury.

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good crowd on hand tonight.
You must be registered for see images

We are in that photo. Little dots by first base. That 9th sucked.

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score

I've been to about 6 games so far, and to me he looks out of sorts across the board. Honestly looks to me like he's afraid to screw up. Defensively, even on routine plays that he hasn't made an unusual error, he looks uncomfortable. My wife can see it as well, and she's never wrong. :)

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
I don't know how else to tell you I am not looking at his bating average. To me he looks lost at the plate. Why can't you understand that? It is obvious to anyone watching him. I am not talking about stats, but rather how he looks lost at the plate. He is Goldy, his stats will be there. But something is wrong. Hopefully, it is temporary.

In my opinion, he's looked very similar to this since his son was born last year.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Went to last nites game, 1st one in 3 or so years. Bickley is right there is no enthusiasm there. Fans cheer when their told, 2 strikes on a batter ho hum. No buzz, no nothing. The folks behind me had a 3 or 4 year old and all they talked about was food.

The Dbacks look terrible. The outfield is slow and their arms appear to be just average. At the plate some have no discipline,can't seem to read the pitcher or where the pitch is going. Grenke is slow and boring. I tried to clap when he had 2 strikes on batters but he was so slow I ran out of steam and he rarely went after the batter.

All in all I don't think I will going back. With the cost of food, drink, parking, tickets etc.. I don't think its worth it.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You're right, but it is nice to not play to your potential and look up and see your only 1/2 game out of first. Beats the alternative if we were in the NL East or Central.

Yeah, I'm disappointed, I thought the Dbacks would be better but I also thought the rest of the division would be better too.

My guess is that somebody will get hot and pull away at some point. Hope its the Dbacks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson