Can Dontari Poe Be the Next Eric Swann?

Would you take Dontari Poe if available to the Cards?

• Total voters

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I loved Eric Swann in his days as a Cardinal. He absolutely crushed/destroyed the pocket.

Swann only played Semi-Pro before getting drafted by the Cardinals with the #5 pick of that draft. Unprecedented pick for the time.

There are some DL who fit the mold this year who will make probably at least one Personnel Director and FO look like genius'.

Is that player Dontari Poe?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0900...nal-rankings-pro-days-influence-player-stocks

Last edited:

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
while Poe is one of the biggest reported "could be severely underrated" players in the draft, I'm more than happy with our D-line

(by the way, I'm ******** and voted for the wrong option. I thought it said "I wouldn't take a D-lineman at #13. Sleep deprivation :mulli:)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dontari Poe and Cordy Glenn are actually the same person. (Think about it - you never see the two of them together).

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
to answer the question...HELL NO!!! Poe is a workout warrior & didn't produce very much even on a bad team.

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
to answer the question...HELL NO!!! Poe is a workout warrior & didn't produce very much even on a bad team.

Yeah, his workouts are off the charts. His motor is good according with Mayock. But production average. Maybe he was held all the time. ;)

But the Cards rolled the dice on a Semi-Pro player with pick #5 once!

Unsterblich856

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Five career sacks in three years at Memphis. Sure as hell doesn't produce like the next Swann. I'd stick with a true NT in Dan Williams and enjoy the best 3-4 DE tandem with Dockett and Campbell and focus on o-line or outside pass rush.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, his workouts are off the charts. His motor is good according with Mayock. But production average. Maybe he was held all the time. ;)

But the Cards rolled the dice on a Semi-Pro player with pick #5 once!
Lombardi made a good point:

If he's that good based on his workouts, why didn't he show more on tape?

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Eric Swann was a freak of nature. When you have a guy who weighs like 300 pounds, with a mean streak that can run the forty like a safety....you draft him even if he did not play college ball. Poe is not even close to Swann

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Eric Swann was a freak of nature. When you have a guy who weighs like 300 pounds, with a mean streak that can run the forty like a safety....you draft him even if he did not play college ball. Poe is not even close to Swann

I got to stand close to Swann during Training Camp in Greeley Colorado where they were scrimmaging the Broncos in 1993. Could not believe a guy could be that big and not have much if any fat on him.

That's also the year I started really doubting the heights and weights of NFL players. Beuerlein was supposed to be 6'3" but no way he was 5 inches taller than me.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I got to stand close to Swann during Training Camp in Greeley Colorado where they were scrimmaging the Broncos in 1993. Could not believe a guy could be that big and not have much if any fat on him.

That's also the year I started really doubting the heights and weights of NFL players. Beuerlein was supposed to be 6'3" but no way he was 5 inches taller than me.

Never will be another like Swann

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Eric Swann was a beast and the best DT that I ever saw play for the Cards. From what I have seen of Poe so far, I don't think he will be anywhere near as good as Swanny.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Poe is strictly a NT. If Swann played on the Cards now he'd be a DE. The guy was a beast and possibly the best DT to play the game when completely healthy. The only things G/C could do against the guy was cut his already bad knees. I remember him getting tossed for beating the crap out of some lineman that chopped him. He was unblockable at times.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Poe is strictly a NT. If Swann played on the Cards now he'd be a DE. The guy was a beast and possibly the best DT to play the game when completely healthy. The only things G/C could do against the guy was cut his already bad knees. I remember him getting tossed for beating the crap out of some lineman that chopped him. He was unblockable at times.

I remember that episode, Swann had a mean streak like no other DL I ever saw play but he was not off the handle like Suh...what Swann did in that game was understandable to me from what they where doing to him. Swann was next to impossible to block when he was on

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eric Swann was, sentimentally, my favorite Cardinal of all time.

It was tragic that his knees prevented him from having a Reggie White or Bruce Smith type career

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We just franchised the current version of Eric Swann. With adjustments made for the throw it 35 times a game NFL of the 21st century.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric Swann was, sentimentally, my favorite Cardinal of all time.

It was tragic that his knees prevented him from having a Reggie White or Bruce Smith type career

don't forget about his pinky problems. He missed a game with a dislocated pinky.

It's funny to read all the love Swann gets on this thread. Flash back to 2000 and he was complete dog crap to 98% of Cardinals fans. Other than Andre Wadsaworth no one was ever ripped on more than Swann by Cards fans,.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
don't forget about his pinky problems. He missed a game with a dislocated pinky.

It's funny to read all the love Swann gets on this thread. Flash back to 2000 and he was complete dog crap to 98% of Cardinals fans. Other than Andre Wadsaworth no one was ever ripped on more than Swann by Cards fans,.
You have a right to your opinion.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

2000??? Swann was in Carolina that season. You must be thinking about the heat Swann took for missing 2/3rds of the 1998 season while his teamates were pulling rabbits out of their helmets to make the playoffs and beating Dallas in the Wild Card round. Or are you talking about the traditional bashing of a Cardinal player after he leaves to play somewhere else? It usually takes several years for that to wear off and fans to start to remember the good days that player had for us.

2000 the team was terrible. They all quit on Tobin and didn't play any better for interim coach McGinnis. In terms of point differential they are the worst team in Cardinal's history. They were outscored by 233 points! Went 11 consecutive games scoring 16 points or less. Don't really know what the heck happened to that team. They were 2-3 and had just beaten the Browns at home when they went on one of the worst 11 game runs in Cardinal history.They lost 10 of 11. Opponents 314 Cardinals 110.

Last edited: