Who Starts Week 1 at Wide Receiver?

Who are the Starting WRs Week 1?

• Troy Franklin (First-round pick)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roman Wilson, MI (Second-day pick)

• Ja'Lynn Polk, WAS (Second-day pick)

• Jaylan McMillan, WAS (Second-day pick)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
How would double dipping for an unproven day 2 prospect be better than Wilson?

Tyler Boyd plays 80% slot and had 6 yards per game less than Wilson last year, and he had Joe Burrow. Wilson mostly had Dobbs.

And I'm not saying we should protect cap space but no team should waste it.
Um, Wilson AND another player > Wilson alone, you would hope. That's not a difficult one to grasp. If Wilson beats the kid out, great! If the kid beats Wilson out, great! If neither of them are ready to step up, well, then there's the problem with this plan. It's riskier than going with a vet, but with upside in a very deep WR draft.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
How would double dipping for an unproven day 2 prospect be better than Wilson?

Tyler Boyd plays 80% slot and had 6 yards per game less than Wilson last year, and he had Joe Burrow. Wilson mostly had Dobbs.

And I'm not saying we should protect cap space but no team should waste it.
Double dipping puts the odds in our favor of making sure we have a solid X and Y for the next few years.
We know that if Wilson stays healthy he is at worst an acceptable Y and maybe a decent X... But his injury history leaves doubt.
If both rookies work out it leaves us with three really solid receivers

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What gave you that impression?
Like I said Stout. I really didn't know much about him, but I thought with regard to the off-season plan, substantially improving the WR room was a priority, and anyone brought in would help do that. If he's JAG, I'm okay with that, but I need to come away after draft day feeling better about that part of the roster and that includes signings such as Moore.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Unfortunatley think we end up with a day 2 pick starting. Not sure who. All the signals are the Cards are trading down to bank on quantity not quality. FML.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Wilson a legit #2? Nothing qualifies for him to even be a legit #3 at this point… we need a 1 and a number 2. If we don’t get both this off-season, I’ll just laugh. Will represent no faith in kyler. Literally every relevant QB in this league has a legit 1/2. Except maybe Mahomes but he has the best statistical TE of all time and Andy Reid.

#3 in receiving yards for every team that won a playoff game this year:

Packers - Dontayvion Wicks
Buccaneers- Raachad White
Lions - Josh Reynolds
49ers - Deebo Samuel
Texans - Dalton Shultz
Chiefs - Justin Watson
Bills - Dalton Kincaid
Ravens - Isaiah Likely

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
#3 in receiving yards for every team that won a playoff game this year:

Packers - Dontayvion Wicks
Buccaneers- Raachad White
Lions - Josh Reynolds
49ers - Deebo Samuel
Texans - Dalton Shultz
Chiefs - Justin Watson
Bills - Dalton Kincaid
Ravens - Isaiah Likely
I’m unsure the point of this post. To show third most receiving yards were TE or RB for 50%? That’s not what people traditionally mean by a “#3” - usually that’s specifically speaking to the third wide receiver not third in line for yards.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’m unsure the point of this post. To show third most receiving yards were TE or RB for 50%? That’s not what people traditionally mean by a “#3” - usually that’s specifically speaking to the third wide receiver not third in line for yards.

I’m pointing out the lack of “studs” that were third on their teams in receiving yards.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We're hoping Wilson can be a capable starter. That's dangerous.

Doesn't matter anyway if we don't fix the defense Solar7.
It's not really "hoping." As @BritCard has said... the guy was scouted, drafted, and is in practice and meeting rooms every day outside of games. He was decent on the field.

Wilson doesn't need to start to develop. He will still get plenty of snaps. Plus, if you bring in a solid older vet, there's no harm done if Wilson surpasses and supplants the guy. If Wilson doesn't end up being #2 material, then you have cover at the position. We all hope he takes the next step next year, but it's no guarantee.
How's he supposed to genuinely get a shot to supplant a guy highly paid to take over his role?

Where are the "plenty of snaps" coming from? You're pretty much talking about putting Wilson on the bench as our 4th option unless you pick up someone to play the slot.

I just don't get the concept of burying a 3rd round draft pick again like we're still in Steve Keim world where the following year you just replace everyone you drafted.

Stout

Reaction score
It's not really "hoping." As @BritCard has said... the guy was scouted, drafted, and is in practice and meeting rooms every day outside of games. He was decent on the field.

How's he supposed to genuinely get a shot to supplant a guy highly paid to take over his role?

Where are the "plenty of snaps" coming from? You're pretty much talking about putting Wilson on the bench as our 4th option unless you pick up someone to play the slot.

I just don't get the concept of burying a 3rd round draft pick again like we're still in Steve Keim world where the following year you just replace everyone you drafted.
Who is being replaced? He's never been the #2. Who's being "highly paid" to take over a role Wilson has never had? Shady assumptions right there. I'm advocating for having more good players in the room and not relying on just hope and absolutely no quality depth. Yeah, the team is there and knows what they have, and it doesn't mean Monti won't de-prioritize upgrading the #2 even if he doesn't think Wilson is that guy yet. It may be Monti's philosophy to not prioritize the position. Also, just because they see the guy all the time doesn't mea they actually do see him as a #2. Why you and Brit are quoting that as the gospel is simply beyond me.

Why in the world do you want to run with Wilson and Dortch as starters? You gunning for another tank? That is a thin, inadequate WR room, and one injury away from a MAC conference WR room. And that's assuming a big draft pick added to the room.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who is being replaced? He's never been the #2. Who's being "highly paid" to take over a role Wilson has never had? Shady assumptions right there. I'm advocating for having more good players in the room and not relying on just hope and absolutely no quality depth. Yeah, the team is there and knows what they have, and it doesn't mean Monti won't de-prioritize upgrading the #2 even if he doesn't think Wilson is that guy yet. It may be Monti's philosophy to not prioritize the position. Also, just because they see the guy all the time doesn't mea they actually do see him as a #2. Why you and Brit are quoting that as the gospel is simply beyond me.

Why in the world do you want to run with Wilson and Dortch as starters? You gunning for another tank? That is a thin, inadequate WR room, and one injury away from a MAC conference WR room. And that's assuming a big draft pick added to the room.

He was literally starting WR2 last year. What are you on about?

The world you run with Wilson as WR2 is the one where he averaged 45 yards a game as a rookie.

I mentioned these players to DaHilg but he didn't take the bait "Brandin Cooks, Jordan Addison, Gabe Davis, or Courtland Sutton".

I'm sure you will take all those guys as WR2. Brandin Cooks and Gabe Davis had less yards per game last year than Mike Wilson. Courtland Sutton had 3 yards per game more. Jordan Addison had 8 yards per game more.

Wilson practiced all pre season with Colt McCoy then had to play with Dobbs with 3 weeks practice and Kyler with 3 weeks practice.

Mike Wilson is going to be just fine as a WR2.

I expect the team will double dip at WR. But it won't be for a guy they think might beat out Wilson outside. I suspect it will be a slot/gadget/KR player like Malik Washington.

Stout

Reaction score
He was literally starting WR2 last year. What are you on about?

The world you run with Wilson as WR2 is the one where he averaged 45 yards a game as a rookie.

I mentioned these players to DaHilg but he didn't take the bait "Brandin Cooks, Jordan Addison, Gabe Davis, or Courtland Sutton".

I'm sure you will take all those guys as WR2. Brandin Cooks and Gabe Davis had less yards per game last year than Mike Wilson. Courtland Sutton had 3 yards per game more. Jordan Addison had 8 yards per game more.

Wilson practiced all pre season with Colt McCoy then had to play with Dobbs with 3 weeks practice and Kyler with 3 weeks practice.

Mike Wilson is going to be just fine as a WR2.

I expect the team will double dip at WR. But it won't be for a guy they think might beat out Wilson outside. I suspect it will be a slot/gadget/KR player like Malik Washington.
LOL Right, he was literally starting all season because he was healthy--oh wait, no, that's a complete fabrication and he was only slotted in as #2 because there was literally no one else. Gotcha. You know, accuracy counts. Stop throwing out "literal" falsehoods.

Less yards "per game." I love how you warp stats. Is that per game over 16 games or per games played? How many games did Wilson play? How many games was he out injured?

I get it. You love the players we already have and are all about them. Homer away, my friend. Just don't please expect the rest of us to go with blind faith, eh? Wilson could turn out to be a stud. He could turn out to be adequate as a #2 or lower on the depth chart. He may turn out to be a nothing burger. We simply don't know. You can say you know, but it's only an opinion and not a fact.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Agree. You have to have faith in the guys you drafted.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Wilson and hope he stays healthy because he has shown he is a NFL WR.
That being said a team can't have enough talent so if we sign a FA or draft BPA at WR then Monti should do that.

No team goes injury free so increasing talent and depth has to be the goal and not worrying about if Wilson doesn't get enough snaps.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Wilson was a #2 as a rookie for a bad offense with a bunch of dudes injured. Can he be a #2 for a good offense or a playoff team? Can’t say now.

I’d rather hedge my bets with another mid round pick than be in the situation where Greg Dortch is playing 86% of the snaps mid year again.

Can he be the 1B that a lot of top offenses have? I haven’t seen much evidence of that.

Seems like an NFL player is the box he’s checked.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

I don't know. With a top end rookie and McBride on field, Wilson might be able to generate the 70/800/6 we need from the WR2 spot to make the 2024 playoffs.

He was explosive with 14.9 YPC last year. I love that! But just 38 catches on 58 targets is concerning.

Can he do it for 15 games a year (plus hopefully the playoffs)? That's far from certain which is why Stout and I say "hope".

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The good news is that this year’s draft is loaded with quality WRs. I can see the Cards getting two good ones on Days 1 & 2. They should both become instant starters and team up with Michael Wilson and TE McBride to give the Cards a decent passing attack. They should also get another quality TE in the draft like Cade Stover or Ja’Tavion Sanders. Chris Moore and Greg Dortch would be backups. They could also pick up another free agent to add to their WR depth.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Malik Washington is a guy I'm interested in.

Yes he's short but he's a coverage beater. He lead the nation in catches. And he's been productive for multiple years.

Keim would've drafted him at #35, but I'm interested in him later.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching the UFL today. I'm liking Kelvin Harmon. 6'2" WR who had a decent rookie season at a 6th round pick with Washington a few years back and tore his ACL in OTAs. He looks healthy now. I'd take flyer on him with a minimum 1 year deal.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Michael Wilson had an 80% snap share when healthy last year. That's WR #2.

I'm not saying not to touch the room, but your first comment in the thread bemoans the concept of Wilson being a starter, which is where I guess I see your statement as basically wanting to bury the guy.

You've mentioned wanting a Big John at #2 in this thread, and for us to get someone proven at this point would require a trade, high draft pick, or Tyler Boyd, who would take a reasonably hefty paycheck. I don't think Boyd replaces Wilson by role on the field, so I'm fine with that, but if you start talking Boyd AND a high pick, then we're just burying Wilson for the sake of it.

Keep in mind I'm all for adding another guy with more pedigree, but I don't think it's as simple as Wilson just shifts down the pecking order. If you took MHJ at #4 and then Keon Coleman at the top of the 2nd, the role for Wilson falls to being 4th/5th receiver and Dortch probably stays on the field in the slot.

Now, you could take McConkey or Pearsall for example and probably put them in the slot, and move down Dortch, but it all depends who we take at that point.

If we're talking a day 3 pick then it's more of "battle it out" scenario, building the depth in the room and I'm fine with it too.

Hopefully that explains my take.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If you took MHJ at #4 and then Keon Coleman at the top of the 2nd, the role for Wilson falls to being 4th/5th receiver and Dortch probably stays on the field in the slot.

Any of them should be able to play from the slot. Wilson played a lot of slot at Stanford (when he played).

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Able to and being best suited for it is a different conversation.
I think most guys who can play outside can play the slot very well, but not all great slot players can be effective outside.

I can think of ways that playing in the slot makes life easier for players, but not how it would make it harder for most players. Best I can come up with is for players who struggle to read the field might make bad decisions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen