The 2023-24 league year

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
13. Arizona. Frothing for Mahomes. “Worked him out in Lubbock, wind blowing probably 35 miles an hour,” Bruce Arians, then the Cards’ coach, remembered last week. “He whistled that ball through the wind like it was the calmest day in the world. One of the best quarterback workouts I’ve seen in my life. Maybe only Andrew Luck’s was better.”

Mahomes was not getting past Arizona. Hats off to my late friend Don Banks—he had it all the way. Almost.

That’s the draft. Regret in New Orleans. Shock in Arizona. “I was stunned,” Arians said. “I figured they were a playoff team with a good quarterback in Alex Smith. I thought Pat was gonna fall to us.”

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
13. Arizona. Frothing for Mahomes. “Worked him out in Lubbock, wind blowing probably 35 miles an hour,” Bruce Arians, then the Cards’ coach, remembered last week. “He whistled that ball through the wind like it was the calmest day in the world. One of the best quarterback workouts I’ve seen in my life. Maybe only Andrew Luck’s was better.”

Mahomes was not getting past Arizona. Hats off to my late friend Don Banks—he had it all the way. Almost.

That’s the draft. Regret in New Orleans. Shock in Arizona. “I was stunned,” Arians said. “I figured they were a playoff team with a good quarterback in Alex Smith. I thought Pat was gonna fall to us.”

I remember those comments.

Brought back memories of waiting on Kobe to drop to us.

I’m a firm believer in doing what you need to do instead of hoping a player you want is available when you pick.

Wade is another example of hoping. Cotton raved on him but we sat on our hands.

Reaction score

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

i didnt help that Arians told anyone who would listen that the team was in the market for a QB

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Arizona, Mr. Harrison.
I don't see how the Bears trading Fields makes it more likely for Harrison to fall to the Cardinals. In fact, I think it makes it less likely.

The Bears weren't going to take Harrison at #1; their realistic choices were always to either take a QB at #1 or trade back from the #1 pick to a team that wants to take a QB at #1.

So realistically, QBs were going to be taken #1 and #2 regardless of what the Bears do with Fields.

This means that when the Patriots pick at #3, the remaining available QB prospects can likely be taken later, so they could trade back... to a team wanting to pick Harrison ahead of the Cardinals. Maybe the Falcons, having traded a #3 for Fields, would trade up to take Harrison, allowing the Patriots to pick a QB with the Falcons pick.

Furthermore, the Patriots are another possible trade destination for Fields, which would free them to take Harrison at #3.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Caleb Williams has become immensely entertaining.
right?? all this because he doesnt want to pay 3 percent on the 45mil guaranteed he is going to get.
but... I dunno...with slotting, going without an agent for the first contract might not be a horrible idea for a first rounder...hire the agent after you sign and get him working on endorsements and TV commercials...Caleb has to have some connections from NIL right?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
A lot of players have other representation for that. Caleb isn't managing his NIL deals on his own.
Yeah thats kinda what I figured.... seems for a first round slotted rookie deal a guy could just have a lawyer on retainer so he can call and ask questions about the details. IIRC the only negotiables are the timeline on a couple of the payouts right? The dollar amount is already guaranteed.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I don't see how the Bears trading Fields makes it more likely for Harrison to fall to the Cardinals. In fact, I think it makes it less likely.

The Bears weren't going to take Harrison at #1; their realistic choices were always to either take a QB at #1 or trade back from the #1 pick to a team that wants to take a QB at #1.

So realistically, QBs were going to be taken #1 and #2 regardless of what the Bears do with Fields.

This means that when the Patriots pick at #3, the remaining available QB prospects can likely be taken later, so they could trade back... to a team wanting to pick Harrison ahead of the Cardinals. Maybe the Falcons, having traded a #3 for Fields, would trade up to take Harrison, allowing the Patriots to pick a QB with the Falcons pick.

Furthermore, the Patriots are another possible trade destination for Fields, which would free them to take Harrison at #3.

Disagree daves because I think CHI was our main competitor (for lack of a better word) in terms of drafting MJH away from us.

It was possible that CHI could have stood pat with Fields. But, WAS and NE both have to go QB. They have to. So to me (and assuming Fields is traded), it now seems clear QBs go at 1, 2 and 3.

However, you raise an interesting possibility, one that I had not thought of. Fields to NE. Seems kind of a remote possibility though. I think Fields is up for an extension soon? Why not go with a cost controlled shiny new rookie?

So we're getting MJH! Yeah!

And this offense is going to be getting after some people in 2024! You can can believe that! :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah thats kinda what I figured.... seems for a first round slotted rookie deal a guy could just have a lawyer on retainer so he can call and ask questions about the details. IIRC the only negotiables are the timeline on a couple of the payouts right? The dollar amount is already guaranteed.
Yeah. Little things like the structure and maybe maybe maybe offset language are sticking points. But most everything else is preset.

Really gives the lie to the rumors that he wanted equity in the team that drafted him and other nonsense.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Little things like the structure and maybe maybe maybe offset language are sticking points. But most everything else is preset.

Really gives the lie to the rumors that he wanted equity in the team that drafted him and other nonsense.
Seems a lot like the nonsense about Kyler choosing baseball, Joe Burrow not wanting to play for Bengals.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92