Suns updates and discussion for the 2023-24 season

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Grayson seems to be an Ishbia type of player, IMO they will do whatever they can to keep him here.
To be honest my 3pt% would go up playing next to Book, Beal and KD, not to mention Nurk and his sick passes.
yeah DUH he wants to stay lol
Keep that guy!

Unless...

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
We want to win a title this year, there is no point to trade Allen for less effective players, just in fear he might become too expensive for us. That said, I guess Allen'd go for 12m MLE level of contracts.
As for other trades, I wonder whether sixers'd do a EG for Oubre swap, due to needs for both teams rosters. If we'd get Nick Richards for 3-4 2nd rounders + sth like KBD/Goodwin/Yuta/Metu, I think we'd be set for playoff run.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We want to win a title this year, there is no point to trade Allen for less effective players, just in fear he might become too expensive for us. That said, I guess Allen'd go for 12m MLE level of contracts.
As for other trades, I wonder whether sixers'd do a EG for Oubre swap, due to needs for both teams rosters. If we'd get Nick Richards for 3-4 2nd rounders + sth like KBD/Goodwin/Yuta/Metu, I think we'd be set for playoff run.

I don't think Oubre would fit here. We have enough players prone to "hero ball" as is and he is among the biggest ball-stoppers in the entire league.

He's also hot garbage as a defender.

1982baskets

Veteran
Reaction score
With the improved play since Beal's Dec 29 return and now tied in losses with the 5th seed in West, tied in record with 6th, we may feel we should not be selling on Grayson and take a chance on extending him the max extension.

Our only hope may be to get fortunate with the buyout market. It's clear we need more depth. Even if you buy in that Allen is a starting core player with big 3 and Nurk, you still have no depth after Gordon. The buyout market may be our only hope (as well as someone like Bol Bol developing into a reliable rotational player).

What I am concerned about with Allen as a core player. Match ups with the top 4 teams in the West.

4th seed: Clips - KD can match up with Kawhi. Who takes George? Grayson nor Beal or Book are good defensive match ups for George.

3rd seed: Nuggets - Again some lengthy wings with Gordon, Porter Jr., making it tough for a perimeter unit like KD, Book, Beal, Allen to get the needed length and size to match up.

1st seed: Wolves - Edwards, KAT, McDaniels. KD is the only who has the length there to match up with those types.

For Grayson to be justified as a starter and core player being a 4 times his salary increase investment, you'd like to see him be able to defend and match up. The way the team is built, we're going to have to force teams to make adjustments to us. We're smaller on the perimeter but we are so lethal when on that teams can't defend us. Our best hope is that teams can't double us, so even though we can't defend their big wings they can't defend our 3 guard core of Allen/Beal/Book. So they make an adjustment to our guards vs us making an adjustment to their bigger wing.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, we may have to roll the dice with this team. I don't see any realistic trade proposals including Allen that I think would make the team better. You don't trade an elite shooter for another player that doesn't do something elite (rebound, efficiency) whatever it maybe. When Allen and/or Gordon are not out there our spacing suffers. I want another FC player but unless some team is willing to unload a really good FC player we likely should keep Allen.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unfortunately, we may have to roll the dice with this team. I don't see any realistic trade proposals including Allen that I think would make the team better. You don't trade an elite shooter for another player that doesn't do something elite (rebound, efficiency) whatever it maybe. When Allen and/or Gordon are not out there our spacing suffers. I want another FC player but unless some team is willing to unload a really good FC player we likely should keep Allen.
Well I won't go quite that far.

It's possible that a deal for Deandre Hunter could make the team better simply because of our need for a more balanced lineup. But I don't know.

I think it is likely we do keep this team and make one or two minor trades and possibly a buyout.

The likelihood of those helping much though are not at all high. I actually think Bol Bol becoming a useful rotation guy is more likely than what we are able turning into an impact player.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Who needs offensive bench production when 5 of your top 6 players are shooting guards and all 5 can drop 25 on any given night and it's amazing how Nurk's already adapted to playing with 5G - we're no longer seeing the 20pt games but the rebounds... they've kinda skyrocketed - I haven't checked in a minute but I'm guessing Nurk is now averaging more boards than Ayton - only played 19 minutes last night and had 13 rebounds - those are Dennis Rodman type numbers - we're talking role player extraordinare and against some teams he doesn't traditionally match well against

Best trade the Suns have made in the Ishbia Era imo - especially with Allen being a major component of the 5G - not to mention Nurk's played 40 games to Ayton's 26

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Nick Richards is not a starter and he scores more pts than he rebounds - no way we'd give up Grayson for that - idc if he's 12 feet tall - no way in h e double hockey stix

It'd have to be someone else

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That’s like the old flying illini on steroids when they had gill, battle, bardo, smart, and liberty. Four wings and a big (who wasn’t that big). They were ahead of their time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do we accomplish this without Allen in the mix?
The Suns have a trade exception that might work and also some contracts that should fit. I don't have player salaries in front of me. Second round picks would likely be included.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who needs offensive bench production when 5 of your top 6 players are shooting guards and all 5 can drop 25 on any given night and it's amazing how Nurk's already adapted to playing with 5G - we're no longer seeing the 20pt games but the rebounds... they've kinda skyrocketed - I haven't checked in a minute but I'm guessing Nurk is now averaging more boards than Ayton - only played 19 minutes last night and had 13 rebounds - those are Dennis Rodman type numbers - we're talking role player extraordinare and against some teams he doesn't traditionally match well against

Best trade the Suns have made in the Ishbia Era imo - especially with Allen being a major component of the 5G - not to mention Nurk's played 40 games to Ayton's 26

You must be registered for see images attach
Yep, I said it when we got him, all we need him to do is rebound and kick out to the 3HM.
Anything else he manages to do is gravy.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The Suns have a trade exception that might work and also some contracts that should fit. I don't have player salaries in front of me. Second round picks would likely be included.
Richards' salary is only 5M so we should have options of who to send out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort