If MHJ is gone. What now?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a Torn ACL so I agree. If MHJ is wrong and nobody comes calling with an awesome trade down offer then I guess you stand pat and take Alt or Olu.

Olu is interesting he's huge, 2 year starter and hasn't allowed a sack in close to 2 years. Another neat thing on him he was a HS teammate of Caleb Williams.

I still want MHJ and you can make a strong argument for Nabers although I may actually favor Odunze over him because he's bigger, I just feel like Kyler is better throwing to bigger WR's. The one smaller Wr he's done well with was Kirk and they'd been on the same college team for a bit too so they knew each other well. Not that Nabers is small, just not as big as Odunze.

Alt is intriguing I think if his last name was Smith, he wouldn't be rated this high? There's just this impression his dad was great so he will be too. The other thing with him, opposite of Wr, Alt is 6'8" and you just don't see too many great OL's that are that tall, Ogden was an outlier and a freak athlete. Olu is 6'6" he's not short but guys as tall as Alt tend to "play high" and that can be an issue at tackle.

But if we don't get MHJ those are the 4 guys most likely to be in consideration IMO. We need a CB too and I like Kool Aid but I don't think it's clear cut he's good enough to go that high.

Fashanu scares me for some reason. He seems like a "catcher" vs a "puncher" and I think that will lead to a ton of holding penalties in the NFL against NFL talent. IMO he need a ton more coaching to be great in the NFL.

Yes Alt is huge at 6'8". However if you watch Alt, his pad level at the snap of the ball is much lower than you would expect for guy that tall. That just shows how athletic he is. Plus he has a good punch when he engages DLinemen. I think Alt will be a great OT in the NFL and should be able to start as a rookie.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a Torn ACL so I agree. If MHJ is wrong and nobody comes calling with an awesome trade down offer then I guess you stand pat and take Alt or Olu.

Olu is interesting he's huge, 2 year starter and hasn't allowed a sack in close to 2 years. Another neat thing on him he was a HS teammate of Caleb Williams.

I still want MHJ and you can make a strong argument for Nabers although I may actually favor Odunze over him because he's bigger, I just feel like Kyler is better throwing to bigger WR's. The one smaller Wr he's done well with was Kirk and they'd been on the same college team for a bit too so they knew each other well. Not that Nabers is small, just not as big as Odunze.

Alt is intriguing I think if his last name was Smith, he wouldn't be rated this high? There's just this impression his dad was great so he will be too. The other thing with him, opposite of Wr, Alt is 6'8" and you just don't see too many great OL's that are that tall, Ogden was an outlier and a freak athlete. Olu is 6'6" he's not short but guys as tall as Alt tend to "play high" and that can be an issue at tackle.

But if we don't get MHJ those are the 4 guys most likely to be in consideration IMO. We need a CB too and I like Kool Aid but I don't think it's clear cut he's good enough to go that high.
In my perfect world, we get MHJ at 4 and then trade up for a tackle, or stay put and hope a receiver, Verse, or maybe even Bowers is there.
edit, I didn't realize the texans pick is 28 right now! eesh

This is assuming we can't go any higher than 4th pick.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In my perfect world, we get MHJ at 4 and then trade up for a tackle, or stay put and hope a receiver, Verse, or maybe even Bowers is there.
edit, I didn't realize the texans pick is 28 right now! eesh

This is assuming we can't go any higher than 4th pick.

Mims with the 2nd pick at OT would be great.

Honestly think this team are going to be more interested in Chop at #4 than MHJ.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you sure that’s just not you interested? Cause huh.

Yeah pretty sure.

Our pass rush has sucked the last 7 games. Teams have figured out the stunts we had some success with earlier. This team is in dire need of a pass rusher that doesn't exist beyond Chop and Latu.

Whereas WR is deep AF.

Would not surprise me at all if they had pass rusher or OT in mind in round 1 and WR in round 2. Also wouldn't surprise me if they took MHJ.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah pretty sure.

Our pass rush has sucked the last 7 games. Teams have figured out the stunts we had some success with earlier. This team is in dire need of a pass rusher that doesn't exist beyond Chop and Latu.

Whereas WR is deep AF.

Would not surprise me at all if they had pass rusher or OT in mind in round 1 and WR in round 2. Also wouldn't surprise me if they took MHJ.
Man that doesn’t mean to draft Chop Robinson at 4. I don’t even think he’s top 4 EDGE in this class & talking about drafting him top 4 overall?? I will find Monti & personally square up with him if he did that.

Not to mention, you don’t want both of your EDGEs be on the smaller side.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Nah. If MHJ is available at 4 it means the QB’s were already taken.
I am middle aged bald fat man who works at a hospital. I have a better chance of getting a date with the hottest nurse in there than Marvin being there at 4

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Estimated. The playoff teams aren't done yet.
The 28th pick right now is Houston's pick that they got from the Browns. It's not the Houston pick that the Card's own. That one is still at 17 since they haven't made the playoffs yet. If they make the playoffs then it's anywhere from 19 to 32 depending on when they go out. Fortunately they have a fairly low SOS so they'll be higher up in which ever tier they end up in.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 28th pick right now is Houston's pick that they got from the Browns. It's not the Houston pick that the Card's own. That one is still at 17 since they haven't made the playoffs yet. If they make the playoffs then it's anywhere from 19 to 32 depending on when they go out. Fortunately they have a fairly low SOS so they'll be higher up in which ever tier they end up in.
You're right. My bad.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Hope the Colts win Saturday. Along with Denver, GB, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh etc.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Hope the Colts win Saturday. Along with Denver, GB, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh etc.
Yup, Colts win to get the Texans loss. Then we want wins from GB, Cinci, Denver, NE, and Washington. Along with the the Cards losing. I know people don't want to hear that last one but it'll help both draft picks if the Texans lose and GB wins.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man that doesn’t mean to draft Chop Robinson at 4. I don’t even think he’s top 4 EDGE in this class & talking about drafting him top 4 overall?? I will find Monti & personally square up with him if he did that.

Not to mention, you don’t want both of your EDGEs be on the smaller side.

Did I say draft him at #4? I said earlier in this thread I think there will be trade interest in #4.

Teams traded up for Jerry Rice and Julio Jones. If MHJ is truly the guy people thinks there is no reason a team from 5-10 won't feel value in trading up for him.

On Chop. He's 255lbs apparently. That Chandler Jones playing weight. Latu is the same weight. Gannon and Rallis are used to Reddick and Josh Sweat on the Edge and both are right in their wheelhouse.

Personally, I think Latu and Robinson are the best in the class. Tough to choose between them. If you think different that's fine. Just insert your prefered Edge rusher above.

I don't think a defensive HC is looking at this roster and thinking "What we really need more than anything is WR". WR is deep and you can get a good or great one further back, half the stars in the league were drafted round 3 or later. We have a heavy run game. It's on the list for sure but I have a feeling Edge, DT and OT are all higher priorities.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison