CBS Projecting Murray Trade

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The question, as others have pointed out, is whether the Cards are better off (a)moving on this off-season and drafting Murray's replacement, or (b) building the rest of the team this off-season, giving Murray one more chance with better weapons and a full off-season in the "new" system, and zero more excuses.

All good points.

I think the other factors that have to be considered:
1) When is Kyler worth the most in trade value?
2) Is Kyler who Monti/JG want to lead their rebuild?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Can the team restructure Murray's contract to lessen the cap hit and increase the trade value? I do understand that Murray would have to agree to it. The question is it possible or not.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Can the team restructure Murray's contract to lessen the cap hit and increase the trade value? I do understand that Murray would have to agree to it. The question is it possible or not.
Not unless Murray is going to give back money. They can increase the cap hit for us to increase the trade value. I'm not sure what Kyler's incentive is to do that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The question I'm still struggling with is, is Maye going to be better than Kyler & MHJ? If I can't answer yes to that then I'm not making the move. I'd get MHJ and see how the next year plays out unless something surprising happens with the Houston pick. I keep getting the feeling that Maye is going to have a Trubisky type of career too which isn't helping me want to pull the trigger on trading Kyler.
This is the core of the debate IMO. If you think Maye will be better it makes a lot of sense to move on from Kyler.

If you don't, it doesn't.

The third sect has the belief that any QB you put with this roster next year will fail, so focus on getting the roster built up. I disagree with this to a degree but it is a valid concern.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the core of the debate IMO. If you think Maye will be better it makes a lot of sense to move on from Kyler.

The third sect has the belief that any QB you put with this roster next year will fail, so focus on getting the roster built up. I disagree with this to a degree but it is a valid concern.

I am firmly in the third sect. It's fine moving on from Kyler but the compensation needs to improve the team overall.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really though if you build up the roster and it doesn't work with Murray, 2026 is the out year. His cap hit goes down to 20 million to cut or a 30 million savings.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I am firmly in the third sect. It's fine moving on from Kyler but the compensation needs to improve the team overall.

I really don’t get why this isn’t the popular opinion.
Because it's magical thinking. You can't realistically shop Kyler and bring him back if you don't get whatever you're looking for. We went through this exact exercise last year with Hop and we ended up with nothing.

Yes, if someone would give me two firsts for Kyler Murray, I'd take that. But no one's offering that. So what's the minimum trade comp you'd be willing to accept for him?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really though if you build up the roster and it doesn't work with Murray, 2026 is the out year. His cap hit goes down to 20 million to cut or a 30 million savings.
Then you start over with a new QB. That is a long time for a rebuild.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Maybe. He's also played under much worse conditions since then.

At this point that's the reason to keep trying until it's 100% proven he can't do it.
You want to wait until it’s “100% proven he can’t?!?” That can be another 10 years. That’s professional sports suicide. If this is your logic I now understand why I can’t understand any of your arguments recently.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You want to wait until it’s “100% proven he can’t?!?” That can be another 10 years. That’s professional sports suicide. If this is your logic I now understand why I can’t understand any of your arguments recently.
The only logical point considering many factors Is building a better roster and giving Murray a chance, for a couple of years he showed he can be a very good qb

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

I'm mainly in the third group. I think Keim left this team in bad enough shape that it's going to take this and next off season to really shore up the roster. My inclination is to take MHJ and then build up the trenches this year. Keep Kyler for now so the cap hit isn't taken and we can use the money. We get luckily and he pulls his head out of his butt than we're good (not likely) or we cut trade him next year when the cap hit is a lot less.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because it's magical thinking. You can't realistically shop Kyler and bring him back if you don't get whatever you're looking for. We went through this exact exercise last year with Hop and we ended up with nothing.

Yes, if someone would give me two firsts for Kyler Murray, I'd take that. But no one's offering that. So what's the minimum trade comp you'd be willing to accept for him?

A first and a third.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you start over with a new QB. That is a long time for a rebuild.

It's not though. You invest in the team around him for the next two drafts and if it doesn't work then you have a great team to build around for a different QB.

Brock Purdy is great because the team around him is great.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not though. You invest in the team around him for the next two drafts and if it doesn't work then you have a great team to build around for a different QB.

Brock Purdy is great because the team around him is great.
If it is a drafted QB you aren’t good the first year. May take a couple of years.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score

FWIW....I watched a video the other day with a bunch of the NFL "experts" saying they had asked FO's around the league to rate Williams and Maye as prospects compared to the last 4 draft classes....meaning rank them in a list including all the QB's from 2021, 22, 23, and 24. The final list had Trevor Lawrence at #1, Maye at #2 and Williams at #3...with 2 and 3 being very close.

Obviously its just projection, but Maye in absolutely considered to be a franchise QB and one of the best prospects in quite a while. He is also by all accounts a great kid on and off the field.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Without researching this I would think any trade involving Kyler might have to involve a high priced player in return to offset cap hits.
Is that possible?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison