• No, let's see what he can do without Monty

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No team is going to give up quality players AND pay $33 million a year for DeAndre Ayton. There's only 2 ways to get rid of DeAndre Ayton

1) let the contract run it's course and pay him $33 million dollars a year to sabotage any chance of us having any success in the playoffs

2) waive him and let some other schmuck pay him $33 million dollars a year to sabotage any chance of them having any success in the playoffs

Thing is... DeAndre Ayton is a bust... and everybody already knows it

What part of no one can pick up his contract do you not understand? Waiving him doesn't pass the buck, it eats it. There are bad contracts around the league, Ayton's isn't the worst. It's not even that bad. We will find a taker.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
What part of no one can pick up his contract do you not understand? Waiving him doesn't pass the buck, it eats it. There are bad contracts around the league, Ayton's isn't the worst. It's not even that bad. We will find a taker.
I don't think we'll find a taker (via trade)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where some communication comes into play, this is where James Jones earns his money

Ayton isn't going to give up his money and what the Suns owe him counts towards team salary so it doesn't help the Suns.

Waiving Ayton makes no sense at this point in time. Keeping him or trading him are about the only realistic options.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Ayton isn't going to give up his money and what the Suns owe him counts towards team salary so it doesn't help the Suns.

Waiving Ayton makes no sense at this point in time. Keeping him or trading him are about the only realistic options.
Looks like we're paying him then because nobody's trading for 7 feet of dis-functionality

And that means we'll never beat Denver

Which turns Devin Booker into Damian Lillard as far as championship hopes are concerned

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like we're paying him then because nobody's trading for 7 feet of dis-functionality

And that means we'll never beat Denver

Which turns Devin Booker into Damian Lillard as far as championship hopes are concerned

Now you are seeing why some posters were so pessimistic and depressed after the Suns traded for Durant.

The Suns will be shopping at the thrift store looking for deals.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Now you are seeing why some posters were so pessimistic and depressed after the Suns traded for Durant.

I'd still make the KD trade, he actually shows up and improves our chances

I'm talking about Ayton and how he needs to be gone if we're ever going to compete with Denver

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd still make the KD trade, he actually shows up and improves our chances

I'm talking about Ayton and how he needs to be gone if we're ever going to compete with Denver

The idea of the Suns competing with Denver in the playoffs is a dream unless the Suns can improve the team significantly.

Paul is near the end of his career and what are the Suns going to get for Ayton in trade?

How I wish there was a miracle trade for Ayton.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The idea of the Suns competing with Denver in the playoffs is a dream unless the Suns can improve the team significantly.
I don't think this is necessarily true. Nearly everyone on the Suns roster was terrible against the Nuggets. Durant was a shell of himself. We still won more games against the Nuggets vs. every other team in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong - there is work to be done, but I don't think a significant improvement is either possible or necessary to beat Denver.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think this is necessarily true. Nearly everyone on the Suns roster was terrible against the Nuggets. Durant was a shell of himself. We still won more games against the Nuggets vs. every other team in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong - there is work to be done, but I don't think a significant improvement is either possible or necessary to beat Denver.

Perhaps I need a dose of sunshine. It would be welcome.

I take no comfort in the Suns winning two games against the Nuggets. They should be even better next season.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I take no comfort in the Suns winning two games against the Nuggets. They should be even better next season.
I don't see how the Nuggets should be better - they had perfect health, and they have no money to add anyone as well. Bruce Brown will be their main priority, and whether or not they sign him is a question.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I don't see how the Nuggets should be better - they had perfect health, and they have no money to add anyone as well. Bruce Brown will be their main priority, and whether or not they sign him is a question.
Nuggets will get better every year they can keep that core together - dynasty style - no new major editions needed nor wanted

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Nuggets will get better every year they can keep that core together - dynasty style - no new major editions needed nor wanted
If only success were linear. It's really hard to keep super teams together, and the rules continue to conspire against it. That's only one of the difficulties of predicting future success for teams like the Nuggets.

I'm sure that there were plenty here that were talking about a Suns dynasty after the Finals run. It's been a considerably bumpier path than hoped.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the Nuggets maintain even status quo, they should be better. They are a very well run organization.

The Suns need to better address their needs rather than worry about opponents at this point.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Nuggets maintain even status quo, they should be better. They are a very well run organization.

The Suns need to better address their needs rather than worry about opponents at this point.
True, but I think they do lose Bruce Brown which will hurt them.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I heard on 98.7 a couple days ago, a segment where they were reading off stats for the top duos projected for this season, I didn't hear who they were quoting, but assuming from the reverence they were giving the list, I am assuming it's a name guy that covers the NBA. The list was composed for duos, assuming the new CBA is forcing teams to look that way. Anyway, the whole point was this was a projection for next season, not based on stats from this season or playoffs. Devin Booker and Kevin Durant were the top two on this list based on combination of scoring and defense. The radio pundits, noting the Suns lack of assets, pointed out the flip side, of chatter of guys already saying they would be willing to play in PHX with KD and Booker.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but I think they do lose Bruce Brown which will hurt them.

I read he was coming back, but of course there is a lot of happy talk after winning a championship. The Nuggets had a stacked roster this past season. Finding and keeping talent is not problem for them.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I read he was coming back, but of course there is a lot of happy talk after winning a championship. The Nuggets had a stacked roster this past season. Finding and keeping talent is not problem for them.
IDK their caps situation. But when GS won, they lost players. We picked up one of them. Guys get paid from being on a winning team. They all say they are coming back this time of year. Then when contracts for them come in, the dollars are usually too much to pass up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard on 98.7 a couple days ago, a segment where they were reading off stats for the top duos projected for this season, I didn't hear who they were quoting, but assuming from the reverence they were giving the list, I am assuming it's a name guy that covers the NBA. The list was composed for duos, assuming the new CBA is forcing teams to look that way. Anyway, the whole point was this was a projection for next season, not based on stats from this season or playoffs. Devin Booker and Kevin Durant were the top two on this list based on combination of scoring and defense. The radio pundits, noting the Suns lack of assets, pointed out the flip side, of chatter of guys already saying they would be willing to play in PHX with KD and Booker.

Kevin Durant and Devin Booker the players have never been the issue.

It's being able to pay the talent to put around them that is problematic under the new CBA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDK their caps situation. But when GS won, they lost players. We picked up one of them. Guys get paid from being on a winning team. They all say they are coming back this time of year. Then when contracts for them come in, the dollars are usually too much to pass up.

The Nuggets entire starting five is under contract next season and 4/5 the following season. They smartly planned ahead.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are like us, health is usually their bitch!

Staying healthy is important for every team, but the Nuggets always seem to be stacked with depth.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If Vogel wants him, keep him. If Vogel doesn't want him, there is absolutely no point in keeping him. Its really that simple.
Now let's take it a step further

Would Vogel want a Center who stays with the photographers behind the basket off court while Jokic shoots the ball, gets his own rebound, and then scores all while uncontested?

Or would Vogel want a Center who ignores his teammates and coach, gets up and walks to the end of the bench all by himself during the final minutes of a close playoff game?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Vogel wants him, keep him. If Vogel doesn't want him, there is absolutely no point in keeping him. Its really that simple.

It's all about the new CBA which acts as sort of a hard cap which limits how much money a team can spend.

Even if the Suns are not particularly fond of Ayton, he still counts towards the team's salary.