Are we risking league intervention with this level of tanking?

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
With the flat out release of Hopkins....getting nothing back in return...Im really starting to wonder if/when the NFL is going to intervene. Bidwill already has himself in hot water and under a microscope. Add to that we are not even attempting to be competitive. Teams have been punished for it before, and Im starting to wonder if we are actually putting a possible #1 pick at risk with just how blatantly we are setting ourselves up for one of the worst seasons of football in recent memory.

Thoughts?

What could be more "same ole Cardinals" then going 0-17....getting the #1 pick...and then losing the pick for violating league rules.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
There's no precedent for the league intervening for competitive reasons outside of paying coaches to fail/tampering with coaches and players.

The Cards can make a legitimate argument that they're working to get better in the long term. If they do this again in 2024 it's going to look different. Monti/Gannon/Michael have enough goodwill around the league/a strong enough network to avoid immediate sanction.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned in another thread, is there any possibility Michael Bidwill is thinking about selling the team? It feels like it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
As I mentioned in another thread, is there any possibility Michael Bidwill is thinking about selling the team? It feels like it.
I was listening to a recent episode of the Slow News Day podcast and they were going over this. The Cards came up at the end of the conversation. The Washington deal is kind of a game-changer for a lot of family-owned companies.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was listening to a recent episode of the Slow News Day podcast and they were going over this. The Cards came up at the end of the conversation. The Washington deal is kind of a game-changer for a lot of family-owned companies.

It will be an interesting situation to watch. If it happens, I hope they do it before the NFL gets something that resembles a hard cap.

OP
OP
F

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Please god let this be the reason. I honestly have no idea how much truth there is in any of the workplace allegations about MB...but at this point I hope the heat is turned up enough to make him uncomfortable and sell.

He could make BILLIONS, and could probably still have some job with the NFL head office or something. No more scrutiny....no sitting through diversity training because you yelled at employees, etc.

I think its VERY VERY possible that if we really have a 2 win or less season (which may actually happen) we will hear a lot of leaked stories from the coaching staff about how "they weren't put in a position to win/were undermined/were told to lose"

Once the buck stops and someone's job is on the line...the truth will come out.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No chance. Liquidating your best assets when it comes to sports teams only lessens the value.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please god let this be the reason. I honestly have no idea how much truth there is in any of the workplace allegations about MB...but at this point I hope the heat is turned up enough to make him uncomfortable and sell.

He could make BILLIONS, and could probably still have some job with the NFL head office or something. No more scrutiny....no sitting through diversity training because you yelled at employees, etc.

I think its VERY VERY possible that if we really have a 2 win or less season (which may actually happen) we will hear a lot of leaked stories from the coaching staff about how "they weren't put in a position to win/were undermined/were told to lose"

Once the buck stops and someone's job is on the line...the truth will come out.

I was looking at it from the aspect of financial gain but certainly other factors could be in play as well.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jerry Colangelo traded off assets before he sold the Suns to make it more attractive.
True, but that was a bit different and a much different time. The Cards, if sold would be near 4B. 10X what the Suns sold for in 2004. A drop in the proverbial bucket.

When it's attached to cost savings its not. The players are among the least valueable assets for a football franchise; especially a 31 year old wideout.
So it makes little sense that this would be the purpose right?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but that was a bit different and a much different time. The Cards, if sold would be near 4B. 10X what the Suns sold for in 2004. A drop in the proverbial bucket.

I look at it like a profit margin. Every dollar saved is like a dollar earned.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So it makes little sense that this would be the purpose right?
I don't think that Michael is going to put the Arizona Cardinals up for sale this week. There are a lot of liabilities on the spreadsheet (unless he had a buyout for Kliff and Keim). Getting rid of Hop just ended another liability (although there were no guarantees).

What's clear is that there are almost no ongoing player costs on the roster after 2023 basically except for Kyler and rookies. Also, the current coaching staff has to be one of the cheapest in the league if, in fact, we're paying Gannon less to be head coach than the Eagles were willing to pay him to stay at DC.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
In spirit with all of Bidwill’s other stupid moves, I am sure he will put the team up after it has the worst attendance year since the new stadium was built. Selling low on a NFL franchise would certainly be a Bidwill thing to do.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look at it like a profit margin. Every dollar saved is like a dollar earned.
I think that is the right way to look at it, especially absorbing all of the cap this year, instead of spreading it out like they could have.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose