Cardinals announce they have released Hopkins - Signed with Titans

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Cardinals are a joke of an organization. Always have been...always will be.

There is no way you couldnt work out some kind of trade. Jesus...we could have taken on some of the contract and gotten a mid round pick back, or some young player who could have been a rotational peice.

Get ready for them to trade Budda for a 5th round pick next week.

What would be the point of this? Add another $4 million onto this years' cap/not be able to roll over into 2024 so we could get a 4th rounder from someone?

It'd be interesting if we could take someone's mistake for DHop. A Jeff Okudah-type deal where we get someone coming into year 3 or 4 and kick the tires on him.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL. So ridiculous. We are like cartoon bad.

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
If Hop signs elsewhere, how does the new contract impact Cardinals? (Sorry, I don’t keep up with pro football contracts.) Can he sign for the league minimum and that amount be reduced from what the Cardinals owe him? Or does Hop get full funding from Cards and whatever he can squeeze out of his new team?

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
What would be the point of this? Add another $4 million onto this years' cap/not be able to roll over into 2024 so we could get a 4th rounder from someone?

It'd be interesting if we could take someone's mistake for DHop. A Jeff Okudah-type deal where we get someone coming into year 3 or 4 and kick the tires on him.
We are not using this years cap...no one wants to play for this team.

I doubt they will roll his cap hit, I think the plan is to eat it all this year.

That 4th rounder at least gives you something. Cap space means nothing at this point. Im sure all the best FA's will be beating down the door to play for the 0-17 Cardinals

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh. So Michael Bidwill was mad.
But why? This isnt like if he was hypothetically healthy in 2021 and decided not to play in the playoffs. The season was cooked. We might have messed around and beat the Falcons with Hopkins.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If Hop signs elsewhere, how does the new contract impact Cardinals? (Sorry, I don’t keep up with pro football contracts.) Can he sign for the league minimum and that amount be reduced from what the Cardinals owe him? Or does Hop get full funding from Cards and whatever he can squeeze out of his new team?
Cards dont owe him anything as his guarantees have already been paid. they just have to eat a cap hit from those old guarantees.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Does eating this cap hit hurt our ability to roll over cap for next year?

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The one and ONLY reason I could accept Monte dropping Hop is if he failed another PED test and the team knows about it, but it hasn't been made public.
I can't imagine being a season ticket holder right now.

Mark22

VBhoopcoach
Reaction score
There is no full funding from the Cards. The rest of his contract has no guaranteed $. He already got that. It’s a major cap hit for 2023. Period. The Cards will not pay him another dime.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

It doesn't. We've already paid the money taking up the cap. This can happen with guaranteed salary (Kyler, Conner, and Ertz all have guaranteed salary that hasn't been paid yet). This is the "offset language" that you hear brought up from time to time about rookie contracts.

Guaranteed salary can be "offset" by other salary if they make it with another team. I don't think that applies here.

We are not using this years cap...no one wants to play for this team.

I doubt they will roll his cap hit, I think the plan is to eat it all this year.

That 4th rounder at least gives you something. Cap space means nothing at this point. Im sure all the best FA's will be beating down the door to play for the 0-17 Cardinals

They can roll the unused cap space into next year. I don't think 4th rounders are worth much (although recent fourth round picks include Chase Edmonds, Marco Wilson, so maybe they're good!).

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I knew this dude wasn't going to play in Az with our season set on tank mode - he needed to increase his value this year - and that wasn't happening here

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Does eating this cap hit hurt our ability to roll over cap for next year?

No. We actually free up cap space this year and next year by releasing him. The scheduled salary he was going to make was much greater than the leftover guarantees that accelerate into this year.

Would we get a comp pick or is that only when you lose a free agent?

Only when you lose a free agent whose contract expired.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose