2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was reading this article from Kellan Olson at Arizona Sports today.

Does anyone see where it makes sense to keep Chris Paul? As I understand it, his contract could be waived and stretched.

See the link to article below which explains more.

Trading Ayton may help but the Suns are extremely limited if they hit the tax apron.

By Kellan Olson, Arizona Sports:

ESPN’s Bobby Marks notes the new second apron of $179.5 million is one the Suns are likely to hit — just their top four players make $146 million alone — and that’ll mean they don’t even get to use a $5 million taxpayer midlevel exception (TPMLE), with all of these exception numbers per Marks’ projections. If the Suns get through late June’s NBA Draft and enter July without any movement, that will be the case. The new stuff kicks in then.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ouchie, you definitely have some ironclad beliefs which is fine. I think for every rule, like: " traditionally the players that get significantly better tend to be those that came out young (bridges did not) or bigs, who tend to develop later (which bridges is not)." there's always an exception. That is partly what makes life surprising at times.

You don't have to watch Bridges or have any empathy towards our views. I myself am going to be watching to see how Bridges responds to being a team leader from being just one of the guys. That's a way different role in the NBA. Sometimes skills aren't what makes that leader, and Kyrie Irving comes to mind right away as a guy who wanted to be top dog, and then he found out, that wasn't for him.

I think Murray has some go to moves which are unstoppable at times on offense. I also think Bridges is better at energy, defense, and availability. Who would get more interest? Depends. I think Bridges is the better value at this point. If you need a guy that create his own shot with 5 seconds left on the clock, then it's Murray.
I’ll take the guy who just averaged 32pys per game in the WCF whilst sweeping their opponent. I can’t believe this is even an argument at this point.

And I wouldn’t call them “ironclad.” I just believe what my eyes, the history and stats tell me until they’re all proven wrong. I’m not one to follow sunk costs with more investment. But to do so I have to be proven wrong. And ZERO that’s been presented comes close to doing that while the only factor still playing continues to rack up evidence in the other direction.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would not be shocked to see Crowder return.
i would. The whole blow up was quite a bit about not giving him a new contract.

He will not sign for 5 million a year, let alone the minimum which is all we should consider since I think we can use that 5 million exception on someone better.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i would. The whole blow up was quite a bit about not giving him a new contract.

He will not sign for 5 million a year, let alone the minimum which is all we should consider since I think we can use that 5 million exception on someone better.

By the end of last year it sounded as though Monty simply didn't want him here anymore.

And he isn't getting 5 million from anyone, I expect he will end up on a 1 year min deal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like Emoni Bates is at least worth a look. Tankathon has him rated #60 in their mock draft.

When Bates was 15 years old, Sports Illustrated called him a “once-in-a-generation talent.” Two years later, The Athletic all but guaranteed Bates would be a No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft, writing “it’s not a question of if Emoni will be a top pick in the NBA Draft, but when.”

Bates was as the No. 3 overall recruit for the 2021 high school class by ESPN, ahead of future one-and-done top-3 picks like Jabari Smith Jr. and Paolo Banchero. That was after he reclassified, going to Memphis a year ahead of schedule, not a terribly uncommon move for high-level prospects to make.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By the end of last year it sounded as though Monty simply didn't want him here anymore.

And he isn't getting 5 million from anyone, I expect he will end up on a 1 year min deal.
I bet you he gets at least 5 million. Teams don't trade 5 2nd rounders for a guy and then 6 months later he gets the minimum.

Yeah, he did not play well, but teams will write that off as him starting up after the trade deadline. Teams value enforcer types and there isn't many available.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet you he gets at least 5 million. Teams don't trade 5 2nd rounders for a guy and then 6 months later he gets the minimum.

Yeah, he did not play well, but teams will write that off as him starting up after the trade deadline. Teams value enforcer types and there isn't many available.
I have no idea what he'll get especially after sitting out for much of the season and then having no impact when he finally did play. But second rounders from a team drafting near the bottom of the round aren't worth much at all.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Role players in their 30s see their value age like government cheese.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo is saying the Suns definifly don't want to pay CP3's $30 million contract. So, sounds like they want to move him. If that can or will happen is another story. Takes two to tango. However, it sure sounds like the Suns are ready to move on from CP3.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the Suns get away from the philosophy that draft picks don't have a lot of value. Even late second round picks have value.

The Heat have 7 players on their roster that went undrafted. If the players are out there, the Suns need to find them.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns and Mercury are working with the city of Phoenix to bring All-Star games to the Valley.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the Suns get away from the philosophy that draft picks don't have a lot of value. Even late second round picks have value.

The Heat have 7 players on their roster that went undrafted. If the players are out there, the Suns need to find them.
To be clear, my point was that late second round draft picks have virtually no TRADE value. And they don't. Just look at how they are used in trades. But having a strong scouting department, a capable development group and a G League setup that can take late picks and undrafted players and turn them into rotation players is worth it's weight in gold.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be clear, my point was that late second round draft picks have virtually no TRADE value. And they don't. Just look at how they are used in trades. But having a strong scouting department, a capable development group and a G League setup that can take late picks and undrafted players and turn them into rotation players is worth it's weight in gold.

This is one of my points of frustration with James Jones as the GM.

Hopefully this was more about Sarver's influence than his personal philosophy, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It sounds like Emoni Bates is at least worth a look. Tankathon has him rated #60 in their mock draft.

When Bates was 15 years old, Sports Illustrated called him a “once-in-a-generation talent.” Two years later, The Athletic all but guaranteed Bates would be a No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft, writing “it’s not a question of if Emoni will be a top pick in the NBA Draft, but when.”

Bates was as the No. 3 overall recruit for the 2021 high school class by ESPN, ahead of future one-and-done top-3 picks like Jabari Smith Jr. and Paolo Banchero. That was after he reclassified, going to Memphis a year ahead of schedule, not a terribly uncommon move for high-level prospects to make.

I would take a flyer on him. Who knows, he could turn out somewhat like Dumas (but preferably without the drug issue, of course).