Playoffs: Nuggets @ Suns Friday game thread 5-5-2023 - Game 3

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Embiid
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Call me crazy but I feel more confident going into game 3 with Cam Payne than Paul. Payne has a history of rising to the moment. I hope this extended break helps him heal up completely and we see a fresh and confident Payne on Friday. Our offense is quicker with him at PG and as he discussed in that video, the PnR with Ayton is a little more lethal than the CP3/Ayton PnR because there's a solid mix of dishing, popping, and also penetrating by Payne.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are no good answers.

Craig plays better as a starter so I would start him instead of Okogie.

I'm tempted to slide Ross in among the starters and hope he can produce with four other players who know their role.

Maybe bring Payne off the bench to run the second unit. Okogie, Biz, Landale and Lee probably know their roles as well as anyone off the bench.
I would be down to try this.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think part of the issue going with TJ and Ross isn't just them being turnstiles on defense but the message that sends to the rest of the Suns team as far as how much effort they need to exert on D to play. The bench is largely made of overachievers who bust their ass to play D and effort isn't a question so much as skill. When you play 2 guys who don't exert much effort defensively and have no real defensive skill, it sends the message offense > defense. Like it or not we've built a defensive culture and guys are being held accountable. Don't play D, don't play.
Have you not seen the offensive production of the bench guys that have been playing - yeah right now offense is more important than defense.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would go back to the same rotation we had right before we benched everyone at the end of the year, because it was working.

Craig, Biz, Ross, and Warren.

Quite frankly I have no idea why Monty went away from it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm tempted to slide Ross in among the starters and hope he can produce with four other players who know their role.

Maybe bring Payne off the bench to run the second unit. Okogie, Biz, Landale and Lee probably know their roles as well as anyone off the bench.
Actually Craig plays fine either way.

Payne is the wildcard, I have been very disappointed with him in the playoffs thus far, but I know he has the ability to be a spark - so even though I am really not sure it will work, I would go with him as a starter in place of CP3.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Payne is the wildcard, I have been very disappointed with him in the playoffs thus far, but I know he has the ability to be a spark - so even though I am really not sure it will work, I would go with him as a starter in place of CP3.

Payne is the wildcard but he's really only played in 1 game. He played garbage time minutes in game 5 against LA and was good in 5 minutes in game 1. He was off in game 2 but he's just returned to the rotation.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payne is the wildcard but he's really only played in 1 game. He played garbage time minutes in game 5 against LA and was good in 5 minutes in game 1. He was off in game 2 but he's just returned to the rotation.
If this was the best version of Payne, meaning injury free and fully up to game speed, I'd be quite comfortable with the position we're in. But it takes him longer than anyone I've ever seen to get his rhythm and shot back so I'm more that a little concerned.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would go back to the same rotation we had right before we benched everyone at the end of the year, because it was working.

Craig, Biz, Ross, and Warren.

Quite frankly I have no idea why Monty went away from it.

This is the lineup I meant to refer to in my previous post. They had the right balance of offense and defense for a second unit. Warren and Ross can score, inside outside duo.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is no tried and proven rule with Craig, but he generally plays better as a starter.

He has only scored 3 points in the last three games, two of which he came off the bench.

I should add, Payne is only now starting to get in shape from his last injury.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let be honest without the bench stepping up at home and actually hitting shots, we have little hope. Kev and Dev can go off for 40 each but 80 doesn’t win games against most! Ayton is likely playing his final games as a Sun so not sure how motivated he will be since he rarely seems motivated anyway! It’s just depressing an injury is gonna kill our chances once again…

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Let be honest without the bench stepping up at home and actually hitting shots, we have little hope. Kev and Dev can go off for 40 each but 80 doesn’t win games against most! Ayton is likely playing his final games as a Sun so not sure how motivated he will be since he rarely seems motivated anyway! It’s just depressing an injury is gonna kill our chances once again…
On point

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Yeah Payne in the starting unit is a disaster IMO. He has no business shooting the ball EVER, when Book, KD and Ayton are options ahead of him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah Payne in the starting unit is a disaster IMO. He has no business shooting the ball EVER, when Book, KD and Ayton are options ahead of him.

Cam Payne is a decent shooter when he is not injured, but his game has tailed off the last two seasons.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If we're relying on Payne, we're screwed. He's good for about one in every 5 games, and has been terrible of late.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we're relying on Payne, we're screwed. He's good for about one in every 5 games, and has been terrible of late.
The Payne cycle goes like this. Payne plays well. Payne gets injured. Payne returns from injury and plays horribly. Payne gradually (but slowly) plays himself into game shape and finally reaches the point where his shot is falling and the game slows down enough for him to look like a real point guard. Then a few games after hitting his peak, he gets injured again. Repeat cycle.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The Payne cycle goes like this. Payne plays well. Payne gets injured. Payne returns from injury and plays horribly. Payne gradually (but slowly) plays himself into game shape and finally reaches the point where his shot is falling and the game slows down enough for him to look like a real point guard. Then a few games after hitting his peak, he gets injured again. Repeat cycle.
Just completely unreliable. He had a hell of a stretch there, but that magic is sadly long gone.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All I know is we have to tie this series 2-2 or the season is over.

Realistically, I don’t think they can win the series without CP3. If we’re lucky, we’ll get CP3 back for game 6.

KD needs to do KD things and drop 35+ from here on out.

If we could get the series back to 2-2 I’d imagine Denver would win game 5 in their home court, setting up a must win game 6 at home for the Suns. The hope of pushing this series all the way to 7 games starts with a must win tomorrow night.

Maybe playing at home will be the lift they desperately need right now.

djm75

Rookie
Reaction score
No need to worry about Payne not being reliable, because Monty will start Shamet at PG.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort