xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expect the unexpected in game 5 from the Clippers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Payne putting up some shots at practice. This is not new though.

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
Something that's been on my mind... I keep seeing people lamenting the minutes that starters are playing, and it has me wondering long-term do five or so more minutes of a game actually put that much more wear on an athlete's body? If I'm playing hard for 30 minutes versus playing hard for 40 minutes, I don't notice any difference the next day. Maybe it's impossible to answer, but I don't really understand getting all riled up about a couple more minutes per night.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something that's been on my mind... I keep seeing people lamenting the minutes that starters are playing, and it has me wondering long-term do five or so more minutes of a game actually put that much more wear on an athlete's body? If I'm playing hard for 30 minutes versus playing hard for 40 minutes, I don't notice any difference the next day. Maybe it's impossible to answer, but I don't really understand getting all riled up about a couple more minutes per night.

I can't speak about the scientific stuff, but it's important for the starters to get some rest, so they will be fresh at the end of the game.

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
I can't speak about the scientific stuff, but it's important for the starters to get some rest, so they will be fresh at the end of the game.
Yeah, I understand it on a per game basis, but I keep on hearing about some kind of cumulative effect and I'm wondering if that's a real thing. Also, I could be off but it seems like we're playing our best in the fourth quarter so I'm not sure the minutes thing has been hurting us at all yet.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Not exactly sure although I have heard dehydration can play a big part in many types of injuries. The amount of liquids most of these cats put in their bodies before and after games is crazy and so preventative. But when you're playing every other day and that extra 10 minutes adds up to an extra 30 every 3 games... you better be drinking lots of water

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I understand it on a per game basis, but I keep on hearing about some kind of cumulative effect and I'm wondering if that's a real thing. Also, I could be off but it seems like we're playing our best in the fourth quarter so I'm not sure the minutes thing has been hurting us at all yet.

I think the cumulative effect is more important to consider during the regular season.

The playoff games are more spaced, so I think minutes played is less important other than to give the starters a breather.

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm hoping we can cut down on our minutes against teams with weaker benches than the Clippers, but we'll see. Maybe all the rest our injured players have had throughout the season will benefit us in the end.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't question Ayton's motor. He plays on both ends of the court. He runs on a "Tesla battery."

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns better come prepared to play. Clippers believe they can win game 5 if Kawhi Leonard and Paul George don't play.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this. It appears there is a correlation to injuries with minutes played verses rest. There were other factors like weight and height of a player.

"Injuries were associated with greater fatigue and game load, more years of NBA experience,"

"Every additional 96 minutes played was associated with a 2.87% increase in the odds of injury, holding other variables constant. For each additional day of rest between games, the odds of injury decreased by 15.96%, holding other variables constant."

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Don't question Ayton's motor. He plays on both ends of the court. He runs on a "Tesla battery."

He truly thinks he’s dominant which I why I don’t get on Monty about DA. You can’t reach someone who is delusional.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He truly thinks he’s dominant which I why I don’t get on Monty about DA. You can’t reach someone who is delusional.
Yeah. When I hear Ayton is really frustrated about… not shooting threes… I have a hard time bashing Monty for Ayton’s shortcomings. The lack of self-awareness is so striking… and kinda comical.

and it’s not like Monty is the only one who has a problem with Ayton. Over the years we’ve seen Booker and CP3 hammering Ayton on the court and Durant has done so also. Hell, even Bridges got into DA this year on the court.

When all those guys have issues with Ayton (and they aren’t one offs) you look for the common denominator in the equation.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. When I hear Ayton is really frustrated about… not shooting threes… I have a hard time bashing Monty for Ayton’s shortcomings. The lack of self-awareness is so striking… and kinda comical.

and it’s not like Monty is the only one who has a problem with Ayton. Over the years we’ve seen Booker and CP3 hammering Ayton on the court and Durant has done so also. Hell, even Bridges got into DA this year on the court.

When all those guys have issues with Ayton (and they aren’t one offs) you look for the common denominator in the equation.
On local radio they said they heard KD (the newbie) have to get on Ayton during one of the games. That says a bunch to me when the newest member of your team has to get on him.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, this pretty much demonstrates he doesn't get it. He admits everybody was getting on him to rebound, but nobody should doubt his motor. What does he think having a motor means?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Man, I don’t know what that is. Study? Come on, I see the entire field. My name is K1, I QB the Arizona Cardinals. Study, man? Really? Nope! I run on instinct.”

It's crazy how easy it was to mirror that quote.