Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you don’t think it’s an impressive dunk? What exactly are you disagreeing with?
Sure it’s an impressive dunk. But it’s still a relative meaningless dunk to me because it came at the end of an all-time terrible loss, when the game was all but over down 11 with 2 minutes left.

But that’s just me. I have no problem if that dunk means more to you.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sure it’s an impressive dunk. But it’s still a relative meaningless dunk to me because it came at the end of an all-time terrible loss, when the game was all but over down 11 with 2 minutes left.

But that’s just me. I have no problem if that dunk means more to you.
Sounds like you aren’t understanding what I’m saying. Ok.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
95’ was one of the biggest chokejobs in NBA history. To make matters worse Houston beat two of the weaker finals teams in NBA history given the fact MJ retired. After 94’ the Suns were in their own heads that was clear.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
95’ was one of the biggest chokejobs in NBA history. To make matters worse Houston beat two of the weaker finals teams in NBA history given the fact MJ retired. After 94’ the Suns were in their own heads that was clear.
95 was really, really bad. Especially because we had the series won in Game 5. Barkley was at the line, up 3 with like 10 seconds left and all he had to do was make 1 FT and the game and series were.

He choked both. They hit a 3 to tie it then we choked even harder in OT and watched a series W slip through our hands and instead of a 4-1 end, it was 3-2 headed back to Houston.

I can remember that so vividly… it happened the night that I was supposed to take the red eye to DC to hell Ouchie move back cross country and I was so depressed because a sense of classic utter Suns dread took hold. And then we choked the next two games away as well.

Man… that series loss has always stung more than 1993. The Bulls were the best team of all time. No shame losing there. But we should have beaten Houston and would have waltzed past the Spurs and Magic. That was our best chance at the title and we totally choked it away.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Weakest teams in history? Never heard that before. The East was tougher back in the 90's than it was in the 2000's or the 2010's. Jordan was just good enough to roll through anyone you put ahead of him except when he returned and the Bulls couldn't get past the Magic. The Knicks also made it back to the finals 5 years later. I don't buy the idea they were the weakest finalists in NBA history.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Weakest teams in history? Never heard that before. The East was tougher back in the 90's than it was in the 2000's or the 2010's. Jordan was just good enough to roll through anyone you put ahead of him except when he returned and the Bulls couldn't get past the Magic. The Knicks also made it back to the finals 5 years later. I don't buy the idea they were the weakest finalists in NBA history.
The Jordan-less Bulls took the Knicks to 7 games that year. They were bullies by 90’s standards but really not that good if a team. Orlando was mentally weak and folded after Nick Anderson choked away game 1.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought the Suns defense would be this good. They had the 5th best defensive rating in March and 7th overall.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But my point is that none of that matters in the context of that photo in particular. Now if you are talking about what that meant for the rest of the game, that’s fine. But there is no reason to lesson the impact of the play simply because the game was “over.” If it was then Hakeem wouldn’t have bothered to try to block it.
Chap, if you can find it, go back and watch the game. It was an amazing physical feat by KJ, but that game was over. I recall watching that play and momentarily saying “whoooo!” And then immediately falling back to depression because of the loss. I mean, immediately.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Jordan-less Bulls took the Knicks to 7 games that year. They were bullies by 90’s standards but really not that good if a team. Orlando was mentally weak and folded after Nick Anderson choked away game 1.
Correct. That was really post bad boys, Larry, and hawks were descending as well. The east sucked. The west had olajawon many rockets, robinson spurs, the blazers, the jazz, the suns, the Sonic’s.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chap, if you can find it, go back and watch the game. It was an amazing physical feat by KJ, but that game was over. I recall watching that play and momentarily saying “whoooo!” And then immediately falling back to depression because of the loss. I mean, immediately.
Geez you don’t get my point either. Just forget it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dallas lost again tonight... they are... toast.
If you mean "toast" for a play-in spot, it's too early to call IMO. OKC closes the season with the Suns, Warriors, Jazz and Grizzlies. Losing that game to Indiana really puts them in a tough spot. The Mavericks have the weaker schedule. OKC has the tiebreaker on them but IMO Dallas has a better chance of winning 2 games than OKC winning 1. I'd still give the edge to OKC but it's a very slight edge.

If you just mean "toast" in general, I agree. They aren't likely to go far with that mix.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you mean "toast" for a play-in spot, it's too early to call IMO. OKC closes the season with the Suns, Warriors, Jazz and Grizzlies. Losing that game to Indiana really puts them in a tough spot. The Mavericks have the weaker schedule. OKC has the tiebreaker on them but IMO Dallas has a better chance of winning 2 games than OKC winning 1. I'd still give the edge to OKC but it's a very slight edge.

If you just mean "toast" in general, I agree. They aren't likely to go far with that mix.
Yeah I could see them squeaking into the play-in but they’ll have to win 2 road games just to make the playoffs and their reward will be a first round matchup with the Nuggets.

I’d argue they have 2 of the best 3 players in the series and Denver can be streaky but not looking good.

Reaction score
Doesn’t matter. KJ tried hard to score and Hakeem definitely tried to block it. To try to excuse it as possibly Hakeem not 100% because the game was over is a fallacy.
Yes, and the dunk was Romantic: a cry of defiance while dying in a lost cause. So I don't care that it wasn't practically helpful.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone thinks beating the Suns 4 out of 7 will be tough. Lets hope the Suns get there.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figures. Suns finally get an owner who is willing to spend whatever it takes and the new CBA is going to limit what the Suns can do. Some highlights of the new CBA:

- 7 year deal with mutual opt-out after year 6
- In season tournament
- Players will have the ability to invest in NBA and WNBA teams
- Players can promote and/or invest in sports betting and cannabis companies
- salary cap smoothing as a new TV deal approaches in order to avoid a salary cap spike
- a third two-way contract slot;which will help slightly to alleviate the luxury tax restrictions
- New luxury Tax apron that will limit teams 17.5 million above the luxury tax will be stripped of mechanisms (curbing) to keep adding talent.
—Teams will lose mid-level exception
—Teams cannot trade 1st round picks for 1 to 7 years away until under 17.5 million.
—Teams will not be able to buyout players.
— Teams can only take in the same amount of money being sent out in trades.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Figures. Suns finally get an owner who is willing to spend whatever it takes and the new CBA is going to limit what the Suns can do. Some highlights of the new CBA:

- 7 year deal with mutual opt-out after year 6
- In season tournament
- Players will have the ability to invest in NBA and WNBA teams
- Players can promote and/or invest in sports betting and cannabis companies
- salary cap smoothing as a new TV deal approaches in order to avoid a salary cap spike
- a third two-way contract slot;which will help slightly to alleviate the luxury tax restrictions
- New luxury Tax apron that will limit teams 17.5 million above the luxury tax will be stripped of mechanisms (curbing) to keep adding talent.
—Teams will lose mid-level exception
—Teams cannot trade 1st round picks for 1 to 7 years away until under 17.5 million.
—Teams will not be able to buyout players.
— Teams can only take in the same amount of money being sent out in trades.
I had the exact same thought.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I refuse to blame the Suns for being afraid of an opponent who "frightened" Michael Jordan himself. If there is no shame in losing to the Bulls, there is arguably no shame in losing to a player whose team might have beat the Bulls. ...Yeah...definitely no shame, even, considering that the Rockets were a horrible playoff team, certainly weaker than any Bulls team, and Olajuwon somehow led them to two championships.
Lol. Okay. This is silly.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Would anyone like to make bets on whether, if the Suns win a championship, Chris Paul will promptly retire? I generally think the only reason he's still hanging on in his desperation to have a ring. And I think I would prefer Paul to retire rather than continue his decline, to hopefully get the Suns under the cap.

I personally would find it hard to leave money on the table. Even after winning a championship. Yea you can end your career on a high note but with millions on the table and another chance to get a 2nd ring.. why not? I wouldn't want to see him continue to decline with us but I think he isn’t going to walk away.

His heart and drive probably wouldn’t be there as before.

Last edited:

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Would anyone like to make bets on whether, if the Suns win a championship, Chris Paul will promptly retire? I generally think the only reason he's still hanging on in his desperation to have a ring. And I think I would prefer Paul to retire rather than continue his decline, to hopefully get the Suns under the cap.
To be honest if we win a chip, I don't care if CP3 moves to Key West, transitions into Christina Paul and teaches burlesque classes.
We need to make room on the roster for Whemby and SGA anyway.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To be honest if we win a chip, I don't care if CP3 moves to Key West, transitions into Christina Paul and teaches burlesque classes.
We need to make room on the roster for Whemby and SGA anyway.

SGA would be nice.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Warriors, Clippers or Lakers? Who would you like to see in the 1st round?

Pokinmik

Rookie
Reaction score
All three are real tough but I’d have to go clippers. Just becuase PG13 likely won’t be back right away.

Warriors with (likely) Wiggins and the healthy post trade deadline lakers are not gonna be easy outs for anyone.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warriors, Clippers or Lakers? Who would you like to see in the 1st round?
Pick your poison. The Warriors to me are always the team to beat and they are getting a key piece back. Lakers worry me with a healthy AD. LeBron and a healthy AD are a lethal combination. Now factor in the sudden emergence of Austin Reaves. Maybe Clippers?!!?

It won't be easy to get through the West.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pick your poison. The Warriors to me are always the team to beat and they are getting a key piece back. Lakers worry me with a healthy AD. LeBron and a healthy AD are a lethal combination. Now factor in the sudden emergence of Austin Reaves. Maybe Clippers?!!?

It won't be easy to get through the West.
It never is. I want the Clippers. I’ll take my chances against them. We’d have 2 of the best 3 players in the series and if PG isn’t 100%, I don’t see Kawhi carrying them.

They have better depth than we do but that’s a series the Suns should win in 6.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose