Today’s Draft Rumor

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I hate to repeat myself but Cardinal trade rumors are heating up. As I suspected the Cards appear to have dropped Carter from consideration. While Anderson is still a consideration if there, they feel reasonably good about their young rushers moving forward. They also think they could augment the rush with a later selection. They won’t just take the best offer, but a solid offer like the ones I posted, will be seriously considered. If you’re looking for that 2024 first rounder as part of the compensation, Anderson would likely still need to be there. It appears, despite aggressive comments, Monti is taking a more practicsl approach and thinking competitive in 2024. So getting extra picks in a draft deep in Cards’ positions of need is very attractive. He’s seems to be a good poker player who won’t be bluffed into trading, but would be positive about taking a power offer. They seem anxious to keep Allen, but not so strong on Murphy based on their targets for the draft & free agency.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hate to repeat myself but Cardinal trade rumors are heating up. As I suspected the Cards appear to have dropped Carter from consideration. While Anderson is still a consideration if there, they feel reasonably good about their young rushers moving forward. They also think they could augment the rush with a later selection. They won’t just take the best offer, but a solid offer like the ones I posted, will be seriously considered. If you’re looking for that 2024 first rounder as part of the compensation, Anderson would likely still need to be there. It appears, despite aggressive comments, Monti is taking a more practicsl approach and thinking competitive in 2024. So getting extra picks in a draft deep in Cards’ positions of need is very attractive. He’s seems to be a good poker player who won’t be bluffed into trading, but would be positive about taking a power offer. They seem anxious to keep Allen, but not so strong on Murphy based on their targets for the draft & free agency.

The thought, and I doubt that it's in Monti's head, of leaving Anderson on the board at #3 strikes me as positively ridiculous.

A flip with Indy is the only trade that can be envisaged that ensures they get this projected defensive stud.

I'm afraid passing would rank with leaving Adrian Peterson on the board or the brilliant trade-down move that lost us Suggs.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monti is taking a more practicsl approach and thinking competitive in 2024. So getting extra picks in a draft deep in Cards’ positions of need is very attractive. He’s seems to be a good poker player who won’t be bluffed into trading, but would be positive about taking a power offer. They seem anxious to keep Allen, but not so strong on Murphy based on their targets for the draft & free agency.
Who do u think they target for free agency?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This would be the height of stupidity and have me hating the FO already. There's a prospect staring them right in the face that's the closest to a sure thing available, at a position of need that could change the whole defense, and they would trade down? Naw, not cool. Not cool at all. I would be displeased and go nuke (not Nuk lol).

Stout

Reaction score
The thought, and I doubt that it's in Monti's head, of leaving Anderson on the board at #3 strikes me as positively ridiculous.

A flip with Indy is the only trade that can be envisaged that ensures they get this projected defensive stud.

I'm afraid passing would rank with leaving Adrian Peterson on the board or the brilliant trade-down move that lost us Suggs.
Right? And double right?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This would be the height of stupidity and have me hating the FO already. There's a prospect staring them right in the face that's the closest to a sure thing available, at a position of need that could change the whole defense, and they would trade down? Naw, not cool. Not cool at all. I would be displeased and go nuke (not Nuk lol).
I wonder if that’s actually how Harry feels instead of the FO. I know he has publicly admitted he’s way higher(or was way higher) on Carter than he is Anderson.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is the way.

It's going to be interesting how people react to missing out on Anderson in favor of building sensibly after years of complaining Steve Keim thought we could win every year and constructed the roster accordingly.

I love Anderson. I'm sure it will break my heart watching get sacks for other teams for the next 10 years, but it does make sense from a roster construction perspective.

If it was me I'd still take Anderson though.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
In my opinion Anderson is going #2 to Chicago. They will get a silly amount to move down 1 spot...and still get Anderson. Those are the types of deals I always point to at the end of the season when some fans are "win at all costs". Houston REALLY screwed themselves over by falling to the #2 pick. The Jets screwed themselves by falling to #2 a couple years ago.

Every pick higher you get....the options open to you massively increase.

I think our best best is going to be trading with a team trying to get ahead of Indy. If Carter is really off the board I think the non-QB prospects outside of Anderson are all good, but none stand out as THE pick.

I would trade down, and then target Witherspoon, or if we trade down far enough Skoronski. I think Skoronski is going to play 15+ years in the league and could be a HOFer. He is one of the best college offensive lineman ever.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is the conundrum.

On the one hand we have complained for years about Steve Keim constructing the roster like were just one more player away from being contenders.

Now we have a GM that is apparently looking at the roster without beer tinted glasses and wants to do the smart thing we will surely complain about that too.

This is the way.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh boy, almost two months of this stuff. If Anderson is gone, we will get a HAUL for our pick. If he's not, hopefully we trade with the Colts.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
What would it take in compensation to make it worth it to pass on Anderson for more pics?

Stout

Reaction score
This is the conundrum.

On the one hand we have complained for years about Steve Keim constructing the roster like were just one more player away from being contenders.

Now we have a GM that is apparently looking at the roster without beer tinted glasses and wants to do the smart thing we will surely complain about that too.

This is the way.
What is your evidence to back up the claim that this would be the smart thing? Pulling an Adrian Peterson fiasco? Or Suggs trade down? More picks do not equate more talent. Would it be smart to trade away a possible HOF player for a few decent players? Or worse, a consensus top pick for a few busts? There's a chance the trade down nets more talented players, sure, but we're talking about a consensus top player at a high impact position of need. That's as close to a slam dunk as it gets, I would think.

If your opinion is that this would be smarter, okay. I disagree, but okay. This is smacking of a factual statement, however. Is it your take only, or are you stating a fact? Inquiring minds want to know.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What is your evidence to back up the claim that this would be the smart thing? Pulling an Adrian Peterson fiasco? Or Suggs trade down? More picks do not equate more talent. Would it be smart to trade away a possible HOF player for a few decent players? Or worse, a consensus top pick for a few busts? There's a chance the trade down nets more talented players, sure, but we're talking about a consensus top player at a high impact position of need. That's as close to a slam dunk as it gets, I would think.

If your opinion is that this would be smarter, okay. I disagree, but okay. This is smacking of a factual statement, however. Is it your take only, or are you stating a fact? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sweet lord just pack. it. in. It's very obviously just my opinion or do I have to literally write "In my opinion" on everything subjective?

With a roster with this many holes the practical thing to do is to trade back and acquire more top 50 picks. That is the traditional NFL philosophy in such situations. Not every trade back turns into a Peterson or Suggs situation.

I agree that doing that if you don't have lots of holes would not be wise but we had a top 5 pass rusher in the league on an otherwise deficient roster for 6 years and only had one winning season in that span and it was in his worst year.

In my opinion a better overall roster is more important than one star but your opinion has valid points too.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I wonder if that’s actually how Harry feels instead of the FO. I know he has publicly admitted he’s way higher(or was way higher) on Carter than he is Anderson.
No, this is what I’m hearing. I was definitely high on Carter, but that ship has sailed. No question Anderson is a sure thing. However, so are a couple of OLs and Gannon has made it clear Murray is the team’s number one priority. I’ve indicated I’d have to have a substantial overpay to make a deal. Depending on the medicals for Bresee, you my recall I had him top 5 very early on. His injury history scared me, but he lit up the Combine. His combination of power and speed indicate he will be a dominant player who could be placed anywhere on the DL. Is he as good as Anderson; no. However if I could turn him into 3 starters, considering how many holes the Cards have, you’d have to consider it. This is not a shot at Anderson, but several playoff teams didn’t have a great rusher. They also didn‘t have a bunch of holes.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
In my opinion Anderson is going #2 to Chicago. They will get a silly amount to move down 1 spot...and still get Anderson. Those are the types of deals I always point to at the end of the season when some fans are "win at all costs". Houston REALLY screwed themselves over by falling to the #2 pick. The Jets screwed themselves by falling to #2 a couple years ago.

Every pick higher you get....the options open to you massively increase.

I think our best best is going to be trading with a team trying to get ahead of Indy. If Carter is really off the board I think the non-QB prospects outside of Anderson are all good, but none stand out as THE pick.

I would trade down, and then target Witherspoon, or if we trade down far enough Skoronski. I think Skoronski is going to play 15+ years in the league and could be a HOFer. He is one of the best college offensive lineman ever.
Good chance they move down twice.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

The flip side is that while we like Anderson here, a lot draft evaluators I've heard talk about Anderson have said he is a notch below the Bosas, Myles Garrett, and other big time pass rushers who have come out over the past decade.

I like some of the position groups in this draft (Edge, IOL, CB, and even later round RBs) but overall it's a very weak draft, so adding a pick in next year's draft which is expected to be WAY better is appealing.

If you have any questions about Murray, sucking a bit this year AND adding picks for next year means you have Drake Maye or Caleb Williams ammo. I'm a Drake Maye stan, so I'd be excited to add him if Murray continues to struggle.

Drake Maye is probably my favorite QB prospect since Andrew Luck, big, tall, great arm, fast, he has it all.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If Anderson is there we take him. Gannon was ultimately successful in Philadelphia because the eagles didn't have to put 5 in the box to get QB pressure

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
The flip side is that while we like Anderson here, a lot draft evaluators I've heard talk about Anderson have said he is a notch below the Bosas, Myles Garrett, and other big time pass rushers who have come out over the past decade.

I like some of the position groups in this draft (Edge, IOL, CB, and even later round RBs) but overall it's a very weak draft, so adding a pick in next year's draft which is expected to be WAY better is appealing.

If you have any questions about Murray, sucking a bit this year AND adding picks for next year means you have Drake Maye or Caleb Williams ammo. I'm a Drake Maye stan, so I'd be excited to add him if Murray continues to struggle.

Drake Maye is probably my favorite QB prospect since Andrew Luck, big, tall, great arm, fast, he has it all.
I think the Bosas have more power, but Anderson is quicker and more agile. He could well be more disruptive. His number of QB pressures is hard to ignore. He lives in the backfield.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you have Drake Maye or Caleb Williams ammo.
If Drake & Caleb are as great as people believe they are, the “Maye & Williams ammo” is moot, because teams aren’t going to trade out of that spot, especially if those teams need QBs, which they most likely will permitting severe injury to their QB & ONLY if that QB has showed major promise.

Stout

Reaction score
Sweet lord just pack. it. in. It's very obviously just my opinion or do I have to literally write "In my opinion" on everything subjective?

With a roster with this many holes the practical thing to do is to trade back and acquire more top 50 picks. That is the traditional NFL philosophy in such situations. Not every trade back turns into a Peterson or Suggs situation.

I agree that doing that if you don't have lots of holes would not be wise but we had a top 5 pass rusher in the league on an otherwise deficient roster for 6 years and only had one winning season in that span and it was in his worst year.

In my opinion a better overall roster is more important than one star but your opinion has valid points too.
:thumbup: I disagree, but :thumbup:

I was merely clarifying because in threads we tend to get to a point where claims of "I'm just stating facts and have presented tons of evidence" and so on get thrown around. Just wanted to head off the drama. In your opinion, it would be smarter to move down for more picks. In mine, taking Anderson is the no brainer. Also in my opinion, we've had way more than enough of some GM thinking he's the smartest guy in the league and defying logic to screw us with our pants on.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

Louis Riddick had a piece yesterday showing Anderson struggling against top flight tackles. Yes he is very very good but he'll have to develop new moves to excel in the NFL. If the trade down package is big enough you have to consider it imo.

Stout

Reaction score
Louis Riddick had a piece yesterday showing Anderson struggling against top flight tackles. Yes he is very very good but he'll have to develop new moves to excel in the NFL. If the trade down package is big enough you have to consider it imo.
I recall the same kind of chatter about Suggs. Let. Us. Not. Repeat. The. Mistakes. Of. The. Past.