New Defensive Assistant Coach Patrick Toney (age 32)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I find it intriguing.
Im an old school dude, an old school coach...and in my mind coaches need to be drilling players on fundamentals,.. then when they got that down, advanced techniques, new moves, etc.

But the NFL has changed. The NFLPA has ensured that coaches are not fully responsible for player development any more. There just isnt time to teach as much as coaches once did. Players do it themselves in the off season, they always have... but now it is basically the only real option.

with the time limitations I can see young coaches being more effective. Run a higher energy practice with a much faster pace. That pace could allow a guy to take a moment with an OT and point out pass rush technique, or to demonstrate a pass rush move to a player and point out how this move works when X, but when Y you have to do this..I think the naturally more relaxed pace of an older person removes some of those opportunities with the new time restrictions.... at the same time it sets the tone and creates the culture of "get it right the first time" then at seasons end, a quick sit down with the players one on one to let them know what improvements you want to see when camp opens next season.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Exactly. I for one couldn't be happier and every time I hear them speak I love it more.

And another thing: some posters seem to envisage young whipper snappers teaching old grizzled veterans new tricks.

When you consider the present roster and add the upcoming draft, a large percentage of the team will be young and eager to learn.

The relationship between players and coaches boils down to this: Can you help me reach my goals?

Age is an artificial construct when it comes to this equation.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked for wholesale changes and got wholesale changes. Not gonna say much good or bad until FA and the draft start to see what kind of team they’re building. Even then, probably won’t say much until I see what the product on the field looks like.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And another thing: some posters seem to envisage young whipper snappers teaching old grizzled veterans new tricks.

When you consider the present roster and add the upcoming draft, a large percentage of the team will be young and eager to learn.

The relationship between players and coaches boils down to this: Can you help me reach my goals?

All players care about is "Can you make me better and earn me more money?"

Reaction score
I asked for wholesale changes and got wholesale changes. Not gonna say much good or bad until FA and the draft start to see what kind of team they’re building. Even then, probably won’t say much until I see what the product on the field looks like.

I'll believe this when I see it lol. You don't seem like the type to hold your tongue. :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's hard to be definitive either way.

Maybe this is the best staff the Cardinals have ever fielded?

Maybe it's the typical Cardinals trainwreck waiting to happen?

I'm just glad that Keim is gone.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do not hate it, but I am absolutely apprehensive. Alright, to be frank it is scaring the hell out of me, but just putting blind faith in the coach and GM that there is a method to this youth madness which is in the extremes all the way around... if this hiring approach does not scare you, oh well
Agree. Youth doesn’t bother me but would have liked a mix.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Says the guy with 81,617 posts. :) Don't keep us waiting too long, Cheese!
Hey, Cheese aint just about quantity!
There have been some high quality posts among that 81k...

Hell, there was the one...uh, no....
But who could ever forget the time... wait, no..that was Ouchie..
Oh! The one about Josh McCown when...oh......nah, that one was mine...

But hey... 81 thousand posts is an amazing accomplishment!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Hmm I have to disagree with your last sentence. It seems to dismiss experience out of hand. Experience often includes facing hurdles that the inexperienced have yet to encounter due to shallow history. Experience doesn’t guarantee that a coach has solved the hurdle, but it provides more opportunity to work on a solution and prepare for it proactively than can be expected of the inexperienced.

So while age may not be the answer to the equation, neither is it an artificial construct . . . it likely is often actually a relevant factor in the equation.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson