Help Put Our Starting Team for 2023 Together

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Do we have anyone who we will starting along the DLine? either DE, or NT, or if we go to a 4 front anyone else? How many new guys do we need for our D front?
I think we sign Zack Allen then sign a starter in free agency. Then we draft either Carter or Anderson.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
It would be wild if Minshew played qb and outright won the job. Then there was serious drama. He had maybe a better rookie year than KM. Then Carter is drafted at DT, another solid DT in free agency. Lot of Eagles available to be Eagles west in FA. Then the Cards make the playoffs with former Eagles on their defense and the irony is Philly begged JG to come back, settle for a couple guys; miss playoffs. Chiefs almost picked Hurts off more than once. Were starting to time his cadence and sit down on his passes.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
IMHO

Hump
Jones
Schmittz...draft
Hernandez..or avila from the draft as well
Beachum

the reason for this is simple... muscle memory, Jones plays better on the left than the right. If Hump gets hurt we kick Jones out to LT and replace a guard, which is easier to replace than a tackle, and doesnt drop a guy in at LT that hasnt played

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Humphries is good. Josh Jones the other tackle.
RG- Will Hernandez proved himself and should be given a contact.
LG I’m hoping we sign the best one we can find.
I think Pugh will retire.

I believe Pugh has already said he wants to play

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It would be wild if Minshew played qb and outright won the job. Then there was serious drama. He had maybe a better rookie year than KM. Then Carter is drafted at DT, another solid DT in free agency. Lot of Eagles available to be Eagles west in FA. Then the Cards make the playoffs with former Eagles on their defense and the irony is Philly begged JG to come back, settle for a couple guys; miss playoffs. Chiefs almost picked Hurts off more than once. Were starting to time his cadence and sit down on his passes.
I might have missed it, but I don't remember Minshew being named Offensive Rookie of the Year. And if he did, which year was it?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMHO

Hump
Jones
Schmittz...draft
Beachum

the reason for this is simple... muscle memory, Jones plays better on the left than the right. If Hump gets hurt we kick Jones out to LT and replace a guard, which is easier to replace than a tackle, and doesnt drop a guy in at LT that hasnt played
Please no Beachum, his plays declined and he is old

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
IMHO

Hump
Jones
Schmittz...draft
Beachum

Plug Jones in at right tackle. Bring in a vet guard to compete with Hayes/Smith.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Still need a C pretty desperately. I wouldn't mind signing a vet/drafting a youngun.
Agreed. What sucks is how so many young centers that come into the league suck for awhile. It's a tough position to play, so young guys generally struggle mightily for awhile.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still need a C pretty desperately. I wouldn't mind signing a vet/drafting a youngun.

The biggest issue with a whole staff change (including GM) is that the draft and FA are happening before they get any players on the field. So how are any of them to know if Leccy Smith can step up and start at C or his Marquis Hayes is ready to start at G?

I'm sure they get 3rd hand reports but they are pretty much worthless to a new staff.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The biggest issue with a whole staff change (including GM) is that the draft and FA are happening before they get any players on the field. So how are any of them to know if Leccy Smith can step up and start at C or his Marquis Hayes is ready to start at G?

I'm sure they get 3rd hand reports but they are pretty much worthless to a new staff.
At least with Lecitus, they will have some game tape to look at. The also have some of the same scouting staff around so they can pick their brains.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. What sucks is how so many young centers that come into the league suck for awhile. It's a tough position to play, so young guys generally struggle mightily for awhile.

I know many will disagree with me on this but...

I don't think it would be the worst thing if Hudson stayed another year. If he intends to retire it's weird that he hasn't announced it yet like many others.

His cap hit is only $4.8m next year (which is less than his dead cap) which is nothing and switching to a Westcoast system with more under C fits his skill set better.

Obviously health is a concern but I'd rather draft a C and have Hudson around than have to rely on a rookie. And he costs us less to stay than to go.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I might have missed it, but I don't remember Minshew being named Offensive Rookie of the Year. And if he did, which year was it?
He statistically was better in some areas same year. 21 passing tds, 6 ints, Pepsi player of week 7 times, his team had the most victories out of the candidates. KM had twice as many picks at 12.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
To continue my recent trend of strong opinions without a ton of information...Big Mo is winning a starting OG spot, probably at LG.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
To continue my recent trend of strong opinions without a ton of information...Big Mo is winning a starting OG spot, probably at LG.
More reason to trade down twice if possible and draft Bennett at qb. Then build from inside out for Oline rounds 2-5 with guards and C rounds 3-5, RT round 2. Utilize the Eagles to fill in your D in FA.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I know many will disagree with me on this but...

I don't think it would be the worst thing if Hudson stayed another year. If he intends to retire it's weird that he hasn't announced it yet like many others.

His cap hit is only $4.8m next year (which is less than his dead cap) which is nothing and switching to a Westcoast system with more under C fits his skill set better.

Obviously health is a concern but I'd rather draft a C and have Hudson around than have to rely on a rookie. And he costs us less to stay than to go.
Hudson is just completely washed.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Ok - I'll bite. Did the below mock draft, and filled in the FA holes using Spotrac's FA listing (didn't try to project salaries/fitting into cap though). This doesn't account for potential extra draft pick(s) in a Hopkins trade.

QB - Kyler Murray, Jacoby Brissett (FA - while Kyler out)
RB1 - James Conner
RB2 - Keaontay Ingram (usually I try to land one in the draft though)
WR - Hollywood Brown
WR - DJ Chark or Allen Lazard (FA)
WR - Rondale Moore, Greg Dortch, Dontayvion Wicks (draft)
TE - Zach Ertz, Trey McBride
LT - D J Humphries
LG - Steve Avila (draft) - he could potentially play Center
C - Justin Pugh, Lecitus Smith, Juice Scruggs (draft)
RG - Will Hernandez
RT - Josh Jones

LDE - Zach Allen (re-sign)
NT - Rashard Lawrence, Jaquelin Roy (draft)
RDE - Javon Hargrave (FA)
WLB - Will Anderson, Jr (draft)
LILB - Zaven Collins
RILB - Isiah Simmons, Drew Sanders (draft - when moving Simmons around)
SLB - Myjai Sanders, Cam Thomas
LCB - Byron Murphy, Jr (re-sign)
FS - Budda Baker
SS - Jalen Thompson
RCB - Marco Wilson; Slot - Cam Smith (draft)
Here was my draft:
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I would like for us to make Cody Mauch a priority in the draft. We are going to need a C and OG for sure to upgrade the draft to be sufficient. But with injuries considered, we need to draft a 3rd, and who better than Cody Mauch who could potentially start any where across the OL.

It was mentioned that Simmons need to be moved to OLB. But if he starts there, what happens to our existing starter there? Does he become a backup or move inside? And who will that be?

If we got to 4/3 we need a DE. If not, we need an Edge/OLB, or is that Simmons in your mind if he moves to OLB?

You guys gotta help me and play the game here. Be specific. Put on your imagine hats and get to work so I can complete our list in post #1.

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
He statistically was better in some areas same year. 21 passing tds, 6 ints, Pepsi player of week 7 times, his team had the most victories out of the candidates. KM had twice as many picks at 12.
Pepsi player of the week is a fan vote.

Minshew's mustache alone probably won him 6 of those weeks.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
With how Gannon and Rallis talk about TJ Edwards, I would not be shocked to see them push Monti for an Arizona reunion with him.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
there are likely 5 starting Centers in this draft...3 who should start from day 1..
Schmittz is one of them...and I make him my top guy because he will be 24 when the season starts... which is old for a rookie but means he has less physical development to do... he will effectively be a 2nd or 3rd year player physically. he may not be as good as some of the others in 4 years but he will be better next season. Avila could also start at Center as a rook,

if I had my druthers we would get schmittz and avila both,... youth and size for the middle of the line... if we plan to run a PA offense both these guys would be excellent additions

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
man that was rough. I set it up for each team to draft by needs with no trades... and got this..
You must be registered for see images attach

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I don't just want a Center, I want a real freakin Center. The toughest MF on the line and the smartest MF one the line. One that can read complex defenses instantaneously, point and yell at his comrades to get where he tells them to

For the most part - when Hudson was good we were good. Lotta really good teams have really good Centers. Really, really expensive in free agency tho. I think most everyone agrees on what to do with pick #3 but after that I wouldn't mind if we traded up (yes you read that correctly) because if Monti really likes Schmitz he may have to get crafty

One of the things Monti has to do is protect the Cardinals' most primary investment. Giving a hotshot rookie Center 8-10 games to learn before the primary investment shows up sounds like a good plan to me

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose