Cap Suggestion

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I was involved in a group discussion yesterday about the Salary Cap. I hate those discussions. We had a very confusing one on this board a few months ago. During the discussion what I thought was a good suggestion was made. They suggested to always talk about remaining cap space, not cap savings. The latter tends to be confusing and usually results in cross talk (people don’t understand each other). It seemed to work much better for the discussion.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I get lost when cap discussions occur.
I agree we should stick to what is really available. Trades or cuts could be added or subtracted as they occur.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If everyone who wants to discuss Cap uses Spotrac and its tools, there shouldn't be much confusion.

It's easy to 'manage' the roster and create Cap space; for example, it allows posters to suggest how the CARDS will add to the present $13.4m space to meet their needs. Cutting Anderson adds $12m; trading DHop adds $8.1m while restructuring his deal adds $9.1m, etc., etc.

You can't have a discussion on whether CARDS should sign Free Agent 'X' unless you can point to how you'll create the Cap space to do so.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If everyone who wants to discuss Cap uses Spotrac and its tools, there shouldn't be much confusion.

It's easy to 'manage' the roster and create Cap space; for example, it allows posters to suggest how the CARDS will add to the present $13.4m space to meet their needs. Cutting Anderson adds $12m; trading DHop adds $8.1m while restructuring his deal adds $9.1m, etc., etc.

You can't have a discussion on whether CARDS should sign Free Agent 'X' unless you can point to how you'll create the Cap space to do so.
Is Spotrac similar to using an NBA trade machine? Those things are fascinating to me.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

I think cap space is clear. Cap savings is not always clear as several things factor into it. I’m a bigger fan of OvertheCap. Here’s an interesting note on the relationship.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think cap space is clear. Cap savings is not always clear as several things factor into it. I’m a bigger fan of OvertheCap. Here’s an interesting note on the relationship.

Cap savings = Cap space - and both OTC and Spotrac are quite good with the math when a player is terminated and designated as either now or post June 1st, or the Cap implications of a trade or restructurings.

The article is interesting but a decade old.