Kliff Fired

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You may be right but he could be a decent NFL OC for the right organization. The HC over him would be the clock manager and make the key decisions on playing calling especially on 4th down. No argument here just feel that he was over his head on running the entire team versus just being an OC.
But what exactly is his offense? What innovative schemes does he run? What makes him stand out? Plenty, but they're all bad lol

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Neither has Budda.

lol, what do you want them to say.

Also, just because you haven’t seen it doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened in private. Everything doesn’t need to be publicized.
The only person to really say much of anything was Brown...wishing Kliff could have had a chance with a healthy team. Other than that everyone has been silent.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dunno

Kliff is still owed $10-$20mm over the next few years with lots of free time

hard to do better than that
Sometimes it's more about status than money. She may not be the type that wants to be seen with a "loser" (Not saying Kliff is, just saying some women may view it that way)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dunno

Kliff is still owed $10-$20mm over the next few years with lots of free time

hard to do better than that
Reports are that Kliff signed a 5.5M per year extension. This is 27.5M or so.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then he will be unemployed. No way he gets a NFL coaching job. Maybe he can be a high school head coach.
Yep. He gets hired again he has to give some or possibly all of the money back. To go back to the NFL, he must REALLY love coaching more than money.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Key words being "at the moment."

Not sure what other teams have seen from him that warrant them reaching out to him being an OC. Lateral passes? No throwing downfield? Going for it on 4th and 2 on your own 30? Getting a delay of game after calling a timeout?

I'm not hating on Kliff. He just wasn't cut out for the NFL (or college, even). He's looked beat down most of the season and I'm sure he hasn't felt like he was in the best working environment (been there, done that). I never thought he should have been given the job in the first place. That said, I'm glad the Cards have moved on and I wish him well in the future.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not sure what other teams have seen from him that warrant them reaching out to him being an OC. Lateral passes? No throwing downfield? Going for it on 4th and 2 on your own 30? Getting a delay of game after calling a timeout?
The play calls can be questioned. The other two issues are HC issues he won't deal with as an OC.

This was a very bad season. But the offense did, undeniably, have hot stretches were it looked good in the previous three. He will be an OC and probably will be for a long time. That's just my feeling of course.

When he does come back to face us as the OC for the other team we will probably get 40 hung on us.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yep. He gets hired again he has to give some or possibly all of the money back. To go back to the NFL, he must REALLY love coaching more than money.
no... he doesnt have to give any money back.
the contract he signed just assures him a guaranteed minimum income during the life of the contract.
if he takes a job as an OC for 300k, then the Cardinals can pay him 300k less... but if he were to get a job paying more than his contract Mike wouldnt have to pay him anything.

think of it like NFL Coach unemployment

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I'm not hating on Kliff. He just wasn't cut out for the NFL (or college, even). He's looked beat down most of the season and I'm sure he hasn't felt like he was in the best working environment (been there, done that). I never thought he should have been given the job in the first place. That said, I'm glad the Cards have moved on and I wish him well in the future.
when you watch the tape...we always had guys open. That counts when you have a quarterback that will throw to them.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the contract he signed just assures him a guaranteed minimum income during the life of the contract.
if he takes a job as an OC for 300k, then the Cardinals can pay him 300k less... but if he were to get a job paying more than his contract Mike wouldnt have to pay him anything.

And that's only if there is off-set language in the contract. I'm sure there is, but that is the caveat.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not so fast.

Mitigation​

Guarantees in coaching contracts are offset guarantees, meaning the firing team’s financial liability is reduced if and when the coach secures work and is paid by another team during the term of the contract. While the firing team has an obligation to pay off the contract, the fired coach has a duty to mitigate, meaning he has an obligation to seek and find a similar coaching position with another team (that can be a college team as well). In other words, the fired coach cannot simply sit and collect his paycheck; he has to mitigate and try to find another job, with the payments from the new job offsetting the amount owed from the firing team.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Not so fast.

Mitigation​

Guarantees in coaching contracts are offset guarantees, meaning the firing team’s financial liability is reduced if and when the coach secures work and is paid by another team during the term of the contract. While the firing team has an obligation to pay off the contract, the fired coach has a duty to mitigate, meaning he has an obligation to seek and find a similar coaching position with another team (that can be a college team as well). In other words, the fired coach cannot simply sit and collect his paycheck; he has to mitigate and try to find another job, with the payments from the new job offsetting the amount owed from the firing team.
Yup. Thats what i said.
Coach unemployment.