CFB & Prospect Discussion Thread:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I've said this every draft for years it seems but I would draft nothing but trenches. Every pick, round 1 through 7.

T, G, C, Edge, DT, NT. Maybe throw a CB or 2 in there depending how the board falls.

My ideal first 4 rounds would be

1. Will Anderson
2. Dawand Jones
3. Mike Morris
3. Steve Avila
4. Keeanu Benton
It is super early but I am still on Will Anderson in round 1 and Schmitz in round 2. Two CRITICAL positions with guys who seem to have pretty high floors as prospects.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It is super early but I am still on Will Anderson in round 1 and Schmitz in round 2. Two CRITICAL positions with guys who seem to have pretty high floors as prospects.
That would be a good one two combo there, though I'd take Torrence over Schmitz, but only by a hair. Watch Torrence line up against Jalen Carter and I think it shows how he can play against NFL caliber players.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That would be a good one two combo there, though I'd take Torrence over Schmitz, but only by a hair. Watch Torrence line up against Jalen Carter and I think it shows how he can play against NFL caliber players.
For me it goes back to scarcity and positional value when considering Schmitz vs Torrence.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a good point.

I think we should be starting Hayes and Smith at Guard. Or at least going into camp intending for them to be. Both are solid young players that need to be allowed to grow.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think we should be starting Hayes and Smith at Guard. Or at least going into camp intending for them to be. Both are solid young players that need to be allowed to grow.
I want one more young guard to compete and probably two mid tier veterans. I'd bring back Will Hernandez and sign an Aboushi or someone like that.

Draft another guard then you can have Hernandez, Aboushi, Hayes and rookie compete for two guard slots and Smith and rookie compete at center.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want one more young guard to compete and probably two mid tier veterans. I'd bring back Will Hernandez and sign an Aboushi or someone like that.

Draft another guard then you can have Hernandez, Aboushi, Hayes and rookie compete for two guard slots and Smith and rookie compete at center.

You spend a high 2nd on a Guard he's going to get all the reps. I'd rather spend the 2nd elsewhere and role with Smith and Hayes. I agree on Hernandez and Aboushi though.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You spend a high 2nd on a Guard he's going to get all the reps. I'd rather spend the 2nd elsewhere and role with Smith and Hayes. I agree on Hernandez and Aboushi though.
Fair point. I liked what I saw from Smith last year, he looked like an NFL player. Hayes looked really good in the  preseason.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone in particular I should watch for in Senior Bowl today?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Hayes is my boy, but how can you possibly, possibly pencil in a 7th rounder as a starter based on one or two preseason games? Reckless at best.

If we're lucky, he'll be a solid back up. If we're lucky.

I think we're so starved for decent IOL play that we've forgotten what it looks like.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hayes is my boy, but how can you possibly, possibly pencil in a 7th rounder as a starter based on one or two preseason games? Reckless at best.

If we're lucky, he'll be a solid back up. If we're lucky.

I think we're so starved for decent IOL play that we've forgotten what it looks like.

I don't think it matters where he was drafted. He had universal 4th round grades. He was a 3 year starter in college.

Jamaree Salyer was pick #190 last year for the Chargers but started most the year and will likely be starting RT going forward.

We ain't winning the super bowl next year so why not give him a shot? Also we have very little money for FA vets.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I don't think it matters where he was drafted. He had universal 4th round grades. He was a 3 year starter in college.

Jamaree Salyer was pick #190 last year for the Chargers but started most the year and will likely be starting RT going forward.

We ain't winning the super bowl next year so why not give him a shot? Also we have very little money for FA vets.

If you're talking about "giving him a shot" I think it absolutely matters where he was drafted since there's a decent correlation between draft position and likelihood of success as a starter, and we have precious little game film of him in action at this level. I would argue your plan has a low probability of success. Again, reckless Britcard. I never had you pegged as the riverboat gambler type. (j/k)

Bringing in a mid-tier FA IOL and then slotting Hayes as a depth player? Okay. That makes more sense to me. He'll get meaningful snaps in the next couple of years and if shows well in the regular season, great, he can be the heir apparent at G.

But what would be our back up plan if we start him in 2023 and he gets destroyed in the first few regular season games of the upcoming season (a distinct possibility)? Blame MO?

Can we please, for once, invest enough draft capital and FA dollars into the Oline so that the unit helps us wins games, vs. trying to win games in spite of it?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you're talking about "giving him a shot" I think it absolutely matters where he was drafted since there's a decent correlation between draft position and likelihood of success as a starter, and we have precious little game film of him in action at this level. I would argue your plan has a low probability of success. Again, reckless Britcard. I never had you pegged as the riverboat gambler type. (j/k)

Bringing in a mid-tier FA IOL and then slotting Hayes as a depth player? Okay. That makes more sense to me. He'll get meaningful snaps in the next couple of years and if shows well in the regular season, great, he can be the heir apparent at G.

But what would be our back up plan if we start him in 2023 and he gets destroyed in the first few regular season games of the upcoming season (a distinct possibility)? Blame MO?

Can we please, for once, invest enough draft capital and FA dollars into the Oline so that the unit helps us wins games, vs. trying to win games in spite of it?

Guards rarely get "destroyed". We pulled off some wins with Cody Ford at G and he's one of the worst guards I've ever seen.

This is why we suck. How can fans say "We never develop talent" and "How come we never draft guys in late rounds that turn out like AB or Jason Kelce?"

The reason is we had a moron GM that would rather trade a 5th for Cody Ford than give the young guys a shot.

If you don't play them they won't develop.

Of course he has to show it in practice first. But we got to give him 1st team snaps to do that.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Schmitz has ideal size and has played at a high level for three years.

most have him kinda late 2nd round, but as the draft process goes on -- i think he moves up

ill add: i think center is more important for Kyler than most other QBs. The D has focused on a controlled rush with games to free guys up the G-C-G area.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose