POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Vic Fangio going back to Den as DC seems odd to me. Humble man if true.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
As expected. I believe the Broncos will throw the kitchen sink at him after being turned down by Harbaugh and Ryan's.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As expected. I believe the Broncos will throw the kitchen sink at him after being turned down by Harbaugh and Ryan's.

So we could have missed out because we took too long about it all?

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Didn’t they trade an absurd amount of draft picks for Wilson? How much more could they be willing to give to the saints?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This years 2 and 2024 2 or 3 depending on next years record. Take it or leave it Loomis.
Nothing personal, but I don't like giving up this year's 1st or 2nd. Future picks is all I would do.

And, truth be told, I don't like the guy. I will never forget the headhunting shot that was put on Kurt Warner which ended the season in the divisional game round. They wound up winning the Super Bowl, but that trophy was tainted.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm pretty steadfast at this point that it's just some kind of combo of compensation at heart here. Probably Loomis' insane demands, and Payton's salary demands. It frankly doesn't do this team all that well to get Payton, have an insane coaching/GM payroll, and not even be able to provide him with the picks to rebuild.

Honestly, outside of money just not being an object for the Broncos, I still see them as a complete mess if Payton goes there and they give up two first rounders. Russ looks cooked and ain't getting any younger. If Payton wanted to retire with Brees gone, it's probably not gonna be much different in two years when Russ is completely done for and the Broncos are stuck trying to find some retread again.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm pretty steadfast at this point that it's just some kind of combo of compensation at heart here. Probably Loomis' insane demands, and Payton's salary demands. It frankly doesn't do this team all that well to get Payton, have an insane coaching/GM payroll, and not even be able to provide him with the picks to rebuild.

Honestly, outside of money just not being an object for the Broncos, I still see them as a complete mess if Payton goes there and they give up two first rounders. Russ looks cooked and ain't getting any younger. If Payton wanted to retire with Brees gone, it's probably not gonna be much different in two years when Russ is completely done for and the Broncos are stuck trying to find some retread again.
or, if Payton gets to one practice and can see that Russ is already cooked.
with what they paid to get Russ, and what they pay to get Payton...how would they get a quarterback?
seems like the waltons are expecting to make a big splash and get the profits flowing right away in denver.. but NFL money is more a slow burn... attendance and concessions are great but that TV money is the big check...and making a splash doesnt change your cut.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I feel like that discounts the resume Kyle was hired with.

Essentially the Cardinals are hoping they get the next Zac Taylor or Mike Tomlin.
I wouldnt be surprised to see Mike go young...I have had the impression he wants longevity and continuity to help establish a good team culture. I really think thats what he was hoping for with kliff.
it would be nice to have a 15 or 20 year HC

Payton, at 60, obviously belays that idea... but that could be just an instant "right the ship" kinda hire.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing personal, but I don't like giving up this year's 1st or 2nd. Future picks is all I would do.

And, truth be told, I don't like the guy. I will never forget the headhunting shot that was put on Kurt Warner which ended the season in the divisional game round. They wound up winning the Super Bowl, but that trophy was tainted.

Yeah, I was at that game and pretty much feel the same as you do.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Despite what he says, Harbaugh would take any NFL offer. I don't understand why the Cards aren't after him. No compensation and a better coach than Payton.
Yeah, it’s a mystery to me why we haven’t gone after him. He woulda have been the best solution, IMO because we could get a great coach, who’s worked well with a Kyler-esque QB AND he wouldn’t have commanded any draft compensation. Seems like such a no brainer solution… which is why it probably didn’t happen.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Luke said the more these interviews keep piling up the more we're still in play for Payton. That kind of makes no sense to me but that's what he said.
Makes perfect sense. All about leverage against the Saints. The Saints DO want something in return for Payton & they know that they’ll get even less if this drags into next season. The Cardinals are just saying to Loomis that we’d love to have him, but at that price, we have other attractive options. Bottom line, the Saints do want Payton hired THIS year.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I wouldnt be surprised to see Mike go young...I have had the impression he wants longevity and continuity to help establish a good team culture. I really think thats what he was hoping for with kliff.
it would be nice to have a 15 or 20 year HC

Payton, at 60, obviously belays that idea... but that could be just an instant "right the ship" kinda hire.
I'll settle for a coach that lasts 6 years...lol Something the Cardinals have never had.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose