You People (Netflix)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I watched this. It was meh... just rehashed all the BS i had to deal with in my first marriage...
Then trivialized it by two morons saying they were sorry making it all go away.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I watched this. It was meh... just rehashed all the BS i had to deal with in my first marriage...
Then trivialized it by two morons saying they were sorry making it all go away.
I agree that the end was disappointing. I was entertained by the rest.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed this flick much more than I was expecting. Even the blatant Hollywood happy ending didn't bug me. I must have been in a good mood. :)
I am a sucker for happy endings. I always feel robbed when there isn't one for some reason. It's usually not until much later I can appreciate SOME non-formulaic endings.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We watched it last night. Pretty good. You could tell the movie was meant to make you laugh and uncomfortable at the same time. The ending felt a little underdeveloped but was still pretty good.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pretty cringe, leads had no chemistry whatsoever.

A two hour stretched out sitcom, which makes sense as the writer is Kenya Barris. Plot beats are spoken and all conflict resolved by dialogue. Last sequence of getting back together makes absolutely no sense.

Other than a obvious remake, it's also a rehash of a subplot in entourage where Kelly/Amira (played by the same exact actress) falls in love with a similar type of guy named Turtle, and he is treated similarly by her father in both. They both also have a weird fixation on sneakers. The word "Turtle" also shows up on the chalkboard when playing hangman, so they weren't even trying to hide it either.

While remakes/rehashes are not inherently problematic for me, it seemed like it was written by an AI bot. Did I mention the cringe?

Run, don't walk, away from this one.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
My wife and I finally watched it last night. We are white… our daughter married a black man from Kenya 4 years ago. Needless to say, we had a rather special attraction to this movie.

Rather than get bogged down in some of the finer theatrical/Hollywood points, such as whether the ending was appropriate, I seemed to have been drawn to the much deeper and broader issue - can white & black people find ways to meaningfully connect, deeply relate and ultimately, peaceably co-exist.

The comment was made by Ezra’s podcast partner, that black & white people will NEVER get along and that it’s a waste of time to try. That the history and the damage therein, is just too harsh, too brutal and too divisive.
Which, in the moment when hearing those comments, made me sad, and mad at the same time.
So, it was encouraging to the plot take the turn it did in the end…

I am an eternal optimist. My prayer is always for the day to come when skin color is meaningless and that our country and reach a point where the sins of our past have been properly brought to light, discussed, worked through such that those who were and still are tragically harmed (blacks and native Americans) have received the respect and reconciliation they richly deserve, and race is no longer a lightening rod… Yea, it won’t happen in my lifetime (about to turn 59), but I pray my kids and grandkids might see that day.

In the end, I think the movie was well done and most Americans would benefit from seeing it…

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose