The Ayton Plan

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Holy crap. I couldn’t imagine paying Turner 30 million a year. He’s averaged about 43 games the last couple years.

For the guy’s complaining about Ayton’s contract it’s the market we are in. This is what guys get paid.
I think they said Ayton was down in the list in the thirties as far as the most expensive salaries. Not saying he's cheap, but imagine the salaries the guys we think are better than him will get!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yep. And for all of the griping about Ayton, I think we can agree he's more impactful than Turner.
Not this season

Myles better in:
2pt%
3pt%
eFG%
FTs/game
FT%
Big gap in blocks (2.4 to 0.7)
Turnovers

Ayton leads in:
Rebounds (by 2)
Assists (by 0.7)

And they are scoring the same in essentially same minutes.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's also Turners second contract after his rookie deal. Ayton's on his first and will expect a raise when his deal comes up also. Hopefully that isn't our problem though and he's moved before then. Clock is ticking, 2 more years to move him before he starts whining about an extension.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not this season

Myles better in:
2pt%
3pt%
eFG%
FTs/game
FT%
Big gap in blocks (2.4 to 0.7)
Turnovers

Ayton leads in:
Rebounds (by 2)
Assists (by 0.7)

And they are scoring the same in essentially same minutes.

Contract year numbers are scary.

Turner's previous several years were far less effective and included him missing over 30 games per season.

If he regresses to his career norms the Pacers will have made a huge mistake.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Turner's previous several years were far less effective and included him missing over 30 games per season.

This REALLY feels like contract year numbers.

The Borg should realize that.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To be fair Domantas Sabonis was traded and he plays center more. Like Jalen Smith he is just not a PF. But we know how it is, sign them early its dumb. Sign them later its dumber. Who knows

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oh this is big time contract year energy. He’s never approached these kind of numbers and it’s his 8th year. Even then he’s getting 17/8

Same vibe with Kuzma.

We’ve seen this play out a million times in the NBA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im serious I hope he’s gone soon.

Why? Is it because he draws criticism from some fans.

Bridges has received more than his fair share of criticism, but he is playing well now. Also, he is older.

Sometimes it takes more time for a big man to develop.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm a mixed bag when it comes to Ayton.

Everyone crucified him for 6-20 shooting DAL game but that is more of an outlier. We criticize his miniscule FTA & AST increases but at least it's progress not regression.

Ayton's biggest weakness has always been he is streaky. He will give a double double 90% of the time as he is averaging a double double every year in his career so far. I know we would all love him to be a 20+ PPG guy but with Booker and other high volume jump shooters on this team its almost impossible unless Ayton becomes Kevin Durant.

Here is the conundrum. For those who want him gone, you won't get equal value in a trade for him. There are currently 11 players averaging a double double:
Sabonis
Giannis
AD
Gobert
Vucevic
Jokic
Randle
Zubac
Adebayo
Portis
Ayton
Embiid

These are guys whom PHX could get back:
Wendell Carter
Mo Bamba
Clint Capela
John Collins
Julius Randle
Christian Wood

IMO, I keep Ayton, Ishbia is going to have to spend money on another scorer or two to pick up offense when necessary. I wish PHX would have signed Wood but no use crying over spilled milk. A guy I would love for PHX to go after is Bol Bol. I think he would be a perfect fit at PF. Guy moves like a guard, is very long, floor spacer plus he is still young and cheap. ORL has too much front court depth so maybe PHX could get him for a couple of draft picks. Markkenan would be ideal but he is the one untouchable on UTA roster.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Those cherry picked stats are meaningless. You can get a more complete picture by looking at cumulative stats. The stats make sense, the top of the list is usually Jokic, Embiid or Giannis. According to these stats, Ayton sucks.

Among all centers in the NBA this season, Ayton is
18th in PER
24th in VORP
29th in real plus minus
23rd in win shares

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those cherry picked stats are meaningless. You can get a more complete picture by looking at cumulative stats. The stats make sense, the top of the list is usually Jokic, Embiid or Giannis. According to these stats, Ayton sucks.

18th in PER
24th in VORP
29th in real plus minus
23rd in win shares
Yeah… the random jumbalaya of stats showing how good a guy is in the face of almost every other metric and eye test is always comical to me, much like when people conjured together random stats to prove Ayton was a “historically great” young big man.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah… the random jumbalaya of stats showing how good a guy is in the face of almost every other metric and eye test is always comical to me, much like when people conjured together random stats to prove Ayton was a “historically great” young big man.
It's actually both. To be fair, you can't cherry pick the good or the bad. There are some areas back when I was tracking him closely, he was putting up unreal numbers historically. However, the other stats though kind of took the wind out of the sails so I stopped.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm surprised at how bad the stats say he is this year. I know he's gotten worse, but those numbers are damning. I look for as many as I could find, but none of them are very kind to him which leads me to believe that he actually sucks right now.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm surprised at how bad the stats say he is this year. I know he's gotten worse, but those numbers are damning. I look for as many as I could find, but none of them are very kind to him which leads me to believe that he actually sucks right now.
With all that said, he was still only 13th in VORP and 7th in PER among centers last year. He's also the 6th highest paid center this year.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

18th in PER
24th in VORP
29th in real plus minus
23rd in win shares

Yeah he sucks